Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hey does anyone here have a spare Acer Aspire 5742 charger they don't need, mine just died and unfortunately I can't just get one off Amazon right now cause due to Corona they wouldn't be able to send anything of that sort out until the end of April

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask that kind of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I have a box of Acer chargers at work. Do you know the Voltage and Amperage of the charger?

Edit: Found one, if you wanna pay for shipping I can send it to you gratis.

That would be great, sent you a PM with my shipping info

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yesterday I learned the folly of not upgrading one's Nvidia drivers for several years, turns out that had been the reason my framerate in games had been tanking so badly the last year or so, essentially due to not updating my profile was stuck in some sort of power save mode that was disabling the Nvidia chip and making it run off the integrated graphics instead, after doing a fresh install of the whole thing(and like at least four restarts) it's now working much better, still kinda crappy since it is a 10 year old laptop and chipset but at least now I can play Team Fortress 2 at a reasonably decent framerate again(once the proper config files are applied), thus while I still definitely need a new laptop eventually, it's priority is reduced enough that I don't have to stress out about it for the time being

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So what's a good cheap laptop if one isn't looking for anything too powerful, pretty much just want something that can handle Team Fortress 2 at max settings and maybe good enough to handle more recent games at low to medium resolutions* and maybe some streaming and video editing(cause while I'll probably suck at it I figure I still want to give it a try), like my budget would probably be around 500 dollars approximately, maybe slightly higher if I can find some work soon, would be fine with a refurbished older model if necessary(every computer I've ever owned has been a hand-me-down anyways)

*Killing Floor 2 and Deep Rock Galactic are two of the games I've been wanting to do on PC

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My 11 year old daughter is wanting a PC for Christmas so she can do gaming and make her own video stream (I love her dearly and even though I do not understand it, we are going to try to support her as best we can).

I was wondering if a “gaming laptop” would be an easier set up while adding portability. If so, what would be the best option that provides performance while also at a decent cost (she is 11 and I know that this focus could change in the next several years…if she keeps it up, then we can look at a higher end set up)?

Thanks for any help. I know an okay amount about computers but the gaming end of this question is not something I am familiar with.

This is the model I just bought, should be more than enough power for what she's doing, has decent upgradability, and is fairly cheap(700 dollars) too(especially as on Amazon you can do a payment plan to spread it out without worrying about interest or anything);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6u1p9xaPbM

Also on the topic of upgrading it I figured I'd ask around if there's anything I should keep in mind when I add in another NVME drive or a fat SSD, as I've never done that sort of upgrade before(and while upgrading the RAM went fairly easy I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cnidaria posted:

Looking for recommendations for a Windows laptop in the $400-700 range. Going to be mainly using it for web browsing, streaming video/video games, listening to music, video chat, and word processing.

I'd prefer that it has:
-SSD storage, don't need anything beyond 512 gigs.
-1080P or higher resolution with a screen between 11" to 15.6" (prefer larger).
-At least 1 USB and HDMI port.
-Backlit Keyboard.
-If it could handle a decent range of video games that would be great too since my gaming PC might be on it's way out.
-And just general good build quality and battery life.
-Edit: at least 8 gigs of ram but would prefer 16 gigs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

See my earlier post for a good one, only downside is that you would have to upgrade the storage and RAM a bit

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lockback posted:

That's ok. The 1650 is kind of a "technically a gaming card, but probably the absolute worst you can be and still be a gaming card" territory. But for $500 I don't think you're going to find anything better.

There was a Dell for $700 that had a 3050ti but it's already gone. If you can bump your budget to $700-$800 I think you can find a 3050ti (and possibly 16GB ram) which would be a better laptop for sure. I'd say it would be "worth the money" but I understand a budget is a budget.

For $1000 and I'd say this is probably 2x better than the Walmart one. Very similar design, probably slightly better build quality.
https://www.newegg.com/p/34-233-449

Once again, the low-end gaming laptop market is kinda messy.

Also that Lenovo one I bought that I linked earlier that's pretty good for 700 dollars(though the actual price goes up a bit since it does need more RAM and storage and probably needs a USB hub as well since its a bit light on USB ports)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I bought an extra NVME drive for my laptop(a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3) and it arrived last night and with just a bit of fiddling I got it to work, just one issue it didn't come with any screws or standoffs so currently I've got a rolled up piece of electrical tape being used to keep the thing from flopping around, obviously this is just a temp solution and I need to buy some screws and standoffs to do it right

Just got one question, what are the right size of screws to get for it, most of the ones I'm seeing on Amazon are for ASUS motherboards so I don't know if it'll work with mine, the sets are like just 5 bucks on Amazon so I'll probably just grab one anyways and just be really careful installing so I don't break anything if they don't fit right, but I figured it would be worth asking here as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arcturas posted:

Any advice on a 15” laptop for general couch use and streaming games from a desktop? It’d be nice if it could run ff14 and indie city builder games (or even anno), but not critical. League would also be nice, but I am fine turning graphics down. My old Dell laptop of five years ago is dying and I need something to replace it. Not sure about budget but ideally less than $1000. I could probably go up to $1300/1400 if there’s a strong case to be made.

See my previous posts about the Lenovo laptop I recently bought, should fit exactly for your needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arcturas posted:

Thanks, it looks like most of what I want, though I’m nervous about not having 16 GB of ram. I tend to run tab-heavy on browsing, and have liked having the extra ram in the past. Has that been an issue for you?

I bought an extra 8 GB stick like at the same time(only cost like 36 bucks or something) so once I got Windows setup I installed that as well so I got 16 right now(will probably upgrade to 32 down the road for shits and giggles) as it's setup from the factory to do two channel RAM if you have two compatible sticks in its two slots

Also went and upgraded the storage recently too since the 256 GB it comes with is a bit light*

*the one major problem the upgradability this laptop has is that the extra NVME drive slot and the slot for adding a more fat SSD in overlap in a way that one probably can't use both at once