Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
The Dell Inspiron 15 5000 has modern parts and a DVD drive, but if you hate AMD its out because it uses Ryzen APUs. The 2500U /should/ be able to handle the games but I havent looked too deeply into benchmarks to confirm. There's a few lower end "gaming" laptops that also have an optical drive for whatever reason. Asus has a couple, and Acer has at least one. Lenovo has an Ideapad with a drive but it maxes out at 8GB of ram and is last gen both in CPU and GPU (7200U+MX940)

drunken officeparty posted:

Ok this might be a dumb question but I only ever have put parts in a desktop and never even owned a laptop until 2 years ago. It's a budget one I got on a black friday deal but plays my counter strike just fine. Anyway I bought the less expensive version with a 1tb HDD instead of the one that had an SSD. I'm led to believe that it has some sort of slot to put a laptop ssd in if I had one. My question is is it possible to put a regular desktop SSD in? I have one just sitting around and want the extra space..

This is the laptop
This is the drive I want to put in

The laptop you have has 1 2.5 slot and an M.2. If you want to add the desktop SSD you would have to remove the 1TB drive, otherwise you'll need an M.2 form factor SSD which looks like this

Arcon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Because I already have the ssd. I'm working with a cheap black friday laptop here I'm not exactly Bill Gates.

Then yeah, you should get a usb enclosure, put the HDD in that, and install your OS of choice on the SSD youre replacing the HDD with. Should get you the most benefit out your situation anyway.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Technically this exists but the next serious question is going to be "Where do you intend to put this drive? The M.2 hole is not big enough, and there's not room for another 2.5 drive" at which point you are taking the HDD out anyway and should have just plugged the SSD into the sata port already accessible from that position. Im legitimately surprised they make these things, the usecases for them is few and far between. "Guy sits with laptop back open 24/7" and "Computer toucher has to check the port and just wants to use his normal sata ssd for testing instead of buying a full M.2 drive" are about all that comes to mind immediately.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

What laptops out there have 3x3 or 4x4 MU-MIMO wave2 802.11ac WiFi built in? I need one for testing purposes.

I think they top out at 2x2; at least the good Intel part and the newest Killer one does.

Depending on just how unwiedly it would be, I am willing to keep the laptop back open 24/7. I just use it as a desktop anyway. It stays plugged in and I haven't moved it as a portable computer since I bought it.

Well, if you're serious about being crazy, I suppose the next concern is powering the drive, since I don't think that adapter had power. After that, cross your fingers and hope it works. No promises it will work, never used it, etc.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
With knee surgery coming up and me being stuck in bed for a while I finally got a laptop of my own. Through a series of constraints I had to get a Dell, so got the new Alienware 15 (8750h, 1070). Since I don't plan on moving it around too much anyway and battery life isnt a concern. It wasnt my first choice if I had the option to get any laptop but I'm kinda liking it. The last laptops Ive touched were some Win8 era machines so the improvements are all really nice. There wasn't even as much bloatware as I expected, though MS itself put a bunch of phone games on here. Think Im gonna play FFXV this summer, since my desktop is rocking an older AMD card that couldnt really run it. Still, the laptop experience is a lot better than I expected. The phone mirroring app is cool too, since it is basically Vysor with bluetooth so it can handle calls. Glad buying PCs isnt the hellscape of garbage software I remember from years ago, even with me buying one of the would-be worst offenders.