Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I'm looking for a 14-15", pretty small + decent battery life laptop which can game reasonably OK. It seems like the new 1060 Gigabyte Aero is probably my best bet, but I am concerned it won't be released for a long time, and I'm trying to buy before early/mid January. Any suggestions, or idea of when it should actually be expected to be released? I thought it would be out by now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

try the aorus x3 instead perhaps? It's a fair sight nicer than the Alienware 13, though the Razer Blade is pretty decent at that form factor.

It looks like it has a 970m and is >$2000 tho? Would a blade be better given that it has the 1060? Also, Im generally confused why it seems like the aero is giving so much more for decently less $.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

VorpalFish posted:

You're looking for the x3 v6, which is a refresh with the 1060. Still over 2k though.

Hmm, does look a bit better specs than the Blade in exchange for looking worse.

I actually just realized that Gigabyte has now released their Aero 14" w/ the 1060. Based purely on specs this seems like a better deal?

I can either get similar specs to the Razer for $400~ less, or get way better (1 TB SSD vs 256 GB, 32 GB RAM vs 16, 1440p v 1080p) for the same price if I go with the Aero.

My only concern is (1) that the aero has insane thermal throttling or is otherwise too good to be true and (2) only xotic pc sells them right now, and I'm not sure how good they are.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

VorpalFish posted:

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there are no good reviews for the pascal versions of these laptops, so you have to kind of extrapolate based on what you can find on the older models. The bottom line is heat, noise, and throttling are going to be challenging for laptops with this kind of hardware in 14" form factors even with a really good design. I can only speak to the razer since I bought one and haven't touched the other two., but it's been great so far. I would say it's definitely worth looking in to undervolting the processor whichever one you end up buying. It made a dramatic difference for me.

:(

This would be way easier if I could just try them out in stores, but RIP

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Do people know how hard it is to open up + upgrade the Gigabyte Aero? Considering gettign the 1060 version and then just adding RAM if I get sad about speed.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
So I got the Gigabyte Aero w/ the 1060, and it's a really amazing computer. Super glad that I went for it in the end - super thin, really fast, and super reasonable price for what it is. I also actually like the keyboard waayyy better than my old Macbook Pro laptop, or any laptop -- it feels the closest to a mechanical keyboard of any laptop I've used. Just super nice having a computer which works so well!

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Can anyone recommend a PC which has 12-16 GB of RAM, doesn't look terrible, and isn't crazy expensive? For development/programming stuff. I'm having a hard time finding anything which isn't also gaming-oriented. It seems like the Zenbook UX501UX is the best option so far? But I also can't really tell. 13"-15" would be fine. It wouldn't be used for gaming at all, so the graphics cards which come with practically every 16gb ram notebook wouldn't be used :(

It seems like a 13" MBP from 2015 w/ 16GB RAM and reasonable specs would be like $1,600, so if a windows laptop is out there which can significantly beat that pricepoint that would be ideal.

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 25, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Caveat: the person realllly dislikes how thinkpads look :/ otherwise looks like a great suggestion.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

DeceasedHorse posted:

Anyone tried the gigabyte aero or the new XPS15 w/the 1050?

I have a 2012 13" MacBook Pro, which has spoiled me on build and screen quality, but I'm considering something with a discrete GPU that won't break the bank and has more than 128 Gb of storage.

I have a gaming PC so don't need something with a 1080 but being able to game while traveling would be nice.

I really like my gigabyte aero w a 1060. Runs games well, great for development, super long battery life, and the build quality + keyboard is amazing. There are also just tons of nice little features like macro keys, led battery checks when the computer is closed and asleep, a USB charger on the power cord, etc etc. Feels like the sort of attention to detail that makes a rly great computer.

I had a '12 13" MBP prior to this and the build quality is the same if not better. I'm really happy I went with this instead of another Mac. I think for my requirements of wanting to game while travelling but also just have a solid all round computer for programming there's not really anything better.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Quidthulhu posted:

Of the 1060 laptops currently on the market, is there a clear choice or a "darling" of the bunch? Are any of the "thin" options worth getting or am I going to see a ton of heat from them?

I think with all the new releases this could definitely change. From the options out right now I have liked the Gigabyte Aero 14 a ton. It was the best value for long battery life, pretty small, quite fast, etc. Build quality is great, never heats up. Definitely think you won't go wrong with it.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
FWIW I don't have any noise problems with the aero but ymmv.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Quidthulhu posted:

Ordered the Aero 14, will report back on if there are issues. Thanks for the recs, goons!

A++ choice!

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am still seriously considering a new XPS15 myself, but I haven't quite pulled the trigger. I've used the previous year's model quite a bit through work, so I have a pretty good idea of their general ins and outs. Part of me would really like a laptop with a 1060 and a better keyboard, but I would definitely miss the build quality and the sweet nearly bezelless screen.

I am using a first gen spectre x360 right now, and the keyboard is actually pretty good. Better than the XPS15 for sure. It has some problems though. Loose hinges, medicore trackpad, coil whine, and big bezels. I don't use it as a convertible at all, but I do like the touchscreen.

A kaby lake aero14 is tempting me. Supposedly the keyboard is a little stiff, but the depth is better. I haven't tried it personally though. I think I would prefer it be 1080p or 4k rather than 1440p though. With a 4k, at least 1080p is upscaled evenly.

Man, I can't figure out what I want to pull the trigger on. I feel like a slightly thicker XPS15 with a better keyboard and a 1060 would pretty much be the perfect laptop.

I like the aero14 a ton -- but I also don't mind the bezel. I thought it would be an issue, but I actually don't really notice it. I like the keyboard a lot, but also like mechanical keyboards, so ymmv. I like 1440p and actually keep it at native resolution w/ minimal scaling when doing coding etc. I've actually been super impressed by the quality in general, especially for the price.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Quidthulhu posted:

Aero 14 arrived! I'm having fun playing with it and getting it set up with all my stuff.

Quick question: GUIs look awful. I understand Windows 10 is not great at scaling to 3K - is there any way to fix this?

Do I also need to update and install NVIDIA drivers for my 1060 card in this thing? I just fired up Rocket League and it was capped at 1280 x 720...that can't be right. Anyone who has the Aero 14 wanna walk me through what I should be doing to make things not look like crap and to get games at 3K resolution?

Quidthulhu posted:

Doing this allowed me to play games at their native resolution.

I thought Overwatch looked a little juttery on 3K, so I dropped it's resolution to 1080p....which made my mouse not reading accurately at all on the menu.

Is that normal behavior :v:

This all sounds weird! I've had no problems with either Overwatch or CS: GO on the Aero at default settings with no driver updates. I tend to play on 1080p since I like FPS > graphics, but 1440p worked fine as well. The FPS is a bit below what I might expect (i.e. 130~), but not bad.

The scaling issues I don't have. I have it all set to 150% scaling, which I think is the default, and all the GUIs look fine :/. Sorry not sure what is up there. Maybe I'm just less sensitive to it? Could you post an example?

Filthy Monkey posted:

What is your opinion on the keyboard and trackpad?

Not Quid, but I like it. Keyboard is definitely stiffer than some laptops, but I actually prefer that. The travel is obvi not as good as a real keyboard, but pretty solid nonetheless. Trackpad is v goo d-- almost as good as my old MBP.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How are you finding the portability? Would this be something you'd be comfortable carrying around with you every day?

I actually do carry it around every day and use it all over. The battery was definitely a selling point for me since I'm working in a lot of different places. It's definitely not as light as an Air or Zenbook or one of those similar very light/small ultrabooks, but it's light enough that I don't notice it in my backpack and I can lift it with one hand. Pretty slim as well. Qualitatively it feels a bit more portable than the 2013 macbook pro whose horrific death led me to getting this computer.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Quidthulhu posted:

I did some digging online and then went into Smart Update to update the Intel Graphic Driver and a slew of other things. I was too tired to do any testing after that was all done but I'll play with it today. Currently Rocket League runs great and Binding of Isaac is running at half speed, which makes no sense, but I was also on battery, and it seemed to be ok when plugged in, so maybe I need to switch Isaac to the integrated gpu now that it's upgraded........

I'll post some pictures tonight of the stuff I'm talking about. If anyone with an Aero who has set it up to be running smoothly wants to PM me, I can take it out of thread, unless people want me to document this! This is the first PC laptop I've bought in like 8 years (always been a Mac man for my portables), so I suspect this is primarily just not knowing how to get a PC laptop running smoothly.

I'd appreciate some documentation too! I think I might still be messing something up, because I get less frames on the aero than my old desktop even tho hypothetically my old desktop has worse specs. It's still not bad, but is odd.

The scaling looks like you've set your windows text scaling is all. Change to 100%?

Also make sure Xbox game DVR is off, that fucks up framerates and games generally.

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Quidthulhu posted:

Some more Aero 14 stuff after spending an afternoon playing games with my friend.

It is a nice little machine. My buddy and I played Smite and at optimization thru NVIDIA and 3K resolution I was getting a consistent 80fps.

20XX I had to turn the graphics down from High to Not So High, which was working fine at whatever random resolution it set me at, but then I started it up a second time later and it was having some hardware slowdown so I set it to 1080 and that fixed everything. I imagine that will be true for most games.

This thing gets LOUD, though, and that was on Smite which isn't exactly a powerhouse? I guess maybe at the settings I had. But when we stopped playing for a moment I was like "drat this thing is loud," I walked out of the room to get a water downstairs and I could hear it pretty audibly down the hallway, and once I noticed it I kept going "man this is loud" as I was gaming. I also felt a little bit of almost discomfort warmth on my WASD keys which isn't great, once again on Smite.

For my purposes I think it will probably be a machine I keep and from looking around in deciding what to buy most reviewers are saying it is the best in a variety of areas of the thin 1060 laptops right now. As a second machine that's allowing me to pop down to my buddy's place on the weekend and do some gaming, it's great. If it was my only machine? I dunno if I'd be thrilled. I'd probably go for a thicker 1060 machine to see how sound and heat management is...and honestly, since I'm not going to be hefting it around all the time, it's weird enough that if I'm not happy over the next couple of weekends I might return it and try a thicker thing. (especially if anyone has a recommendation there).

That said, the screen is gorgeous, it does play games very well and they look great (after some tweaking), and, you know, fan noise is probably not any worse than any other machine out there right now (and might even be better, I have no point of comparison). Honestly unless something really pisses me off I will probably keep it, but that might be more laziness since I can't exactly comparison shop and live with a different device.

I've found that if you set the resolution for the system to the res of the game it seems to up frame rate? Now getting consistent 250-300 FPS on CS:GO from like 130 FPS, which is more in line with what I was expecting.

I actually don't notice fan noise usually, but I also play with headphones -- when they're off, it is definitely noticeable. When I'm not gaming the fans seem pretty much fine.

Granted, when not travelling I'll just be using my desktop to game on, but at least for the next month or two this is my only machine.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Have you used office in a browser before? At least for me it's pretty unusable because every shortcut breaks :( that's not a Chromebook thing tho.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Atomizer posted:

I can't say I've had this same problem. What shortcuts are breaking?

A lot of the excel shortcuts - e.g. Alt d ff to get a table, special pastes, etc. Some of the word styling ones. It seems like none of the legacy shortcuts are in there or something?

Maybe I'm just using an old version.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
You should get a bedside tablet stand maybe. Sounds and looks super dumb but is actually helpful.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What the gently caress amazon, I bought this laptop and a day later you shed 50 bucks from it

They'll automatically give it back to you if you file a support ticket. While you're at it consider signing up for Paribus - they will file claims like this for you for any Amazon product for a % of the savings. Good if you want to buy stuff and not have to monitor Amazon prices after to get a refund if they drop.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Insurrectionist posted:

Anyone got experience with MSI laptops? It's upgrading time and I've found pretty good deals on two MSI laptops on sale that seem to eclipse the alternatives in my budget in terms of the big, obvious specs, but I still know poo poo about hardware and I don't really have any experience with MSI either.

First one is this lame-rear end g-g-g-gamerrrr thing. Got an i7 6700, GTX980M and the only laptop I could find in my price-range with 16GB of RAM (keep in mind I'm from Norway AKA the wild west of pricing and availability).

Challenger is this more generic one with the same CPU, plain GTX1060 and only 8GB of RAM.

I haven't kept up with GPUs at all - my current one is an old-rear end GT 650M - but I have the impression the 1060 is...not that impressive? Is it gonna give me more bang for my buck than the 980M? Also I'm pretty loving clueless about most other poo poo so anyone who wants to quickly check if one seems notably better or the like, I'd appreciate it.

The alternatives I've found in the same price-range are a small group of Acer/ASUS/HP machines with generally GTX1060/i5 6300/8GB specs, and several only having a 256GB SSD and no other storage (lots of storage is definitely a bigger priority than large SSD for me).

E: Suppose I should mention, I only need the specs for gaming basically, I don't do anything else strenuous. Honestly most of my time at a PC is spent in a browser or MS Word anyway, and I don't have high demands generally for my laptops - don't play recent AAA games and happy to set everything low when I do. But might as well get the best I can in my budget.

1060 is about as good as the desktop 1060, depending on how well the laptop handles heat. It's the same graphics card. So it's better than 980 for sure. Dunno how it'll shake out here, maybe look at notebookcheck?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Insurrectionist posted:

Thanks for the tip, yeah I guess the 1060's lower RAM blinded me a bit. Pity though since that makes the choice tougher, though I guess better GPU probably beats out the double system RAM.

Well, depends still I think. It is better, but it's not waaay better: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia...0.171566.0.html

(if you don't want to follow the link, it shows a ~30% performance increase on one benchmark, 10% on the other. I'm not good enough at reading gpu benchmarks to tell you much more about what that means tho)

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 19, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I am not sure if it fits your use-case, but this rather made me come around on getting a smaller screen laptop and just dragging along an extra screen when I feel the need will be greater. Granted there is no 17" version afaik, but double 15" goes some way.

Is this not giving you pretty intense input lag? I have one but it's sort of been relegated to displaying documents or other things I rarely click on.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Atomizer posted:

The first couple of generations of these types of portable external monitors (i.e. ones with USB2 and then USB3 support) use DisplayLink technology, which is a software solution and is responsible for the limited refresh rate that you've noticed. That ASUS monitor (which I also have and had shared photos of it working with my Chromebook Pixel) is DisplayPort, just like any other DP monitor you'd buy off the shelf, except this one runs over a Type C cable. Remember that the USB 3.1 revision added the Type C connector and other things including Alt Modes, which is where said Type C connection effectively turns into another technology including DP and Thunderbolt (the latter being how external GPUs operate.)

Oh I see, that sounds like a really big step up. Maybe I should upgrade at some point, ty for the explanation.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Trickyrive posted:

I've been using an m11x r2 I bought back around the time it came out and feel I need a replacement gaming laptop now that I travel for my job and am out of the country 50% of the time. I have to carry a work laptop and work chromebook with me as well so I feel like I need something compact.

Is the Aero 15 the current best gaming travel choice? It's pretty drat expensive. Should I consider something bigger?

I like the Aero 14 a lot still. I haven't had any problems running things so far in 4K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Aero 15 Trip Report - this is long, don't give a poo poo if you won't read it, there ain't no TLDR.

And that's about it. Thanks for reading my blog, folks!

Envelope-like is the best description I've heard to describe the unfortunate styling choices of Aero's top covers. I still haven't gotten a case/skin for mine but really should.