Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What would be my best bet if i'm looking to get a Laptop strong enough to run Dota 2 at max settings, and some other modest (but nothing super insane) gaming? Probably not looking for something super bulky, a 14" or 15" screen at 1920 would be perfect. Budget is 900-1200. Is this doable without any major cons? I've never owned a laptop where any type of gaming has been possible in the past, so I don't know how quickly some level of video card performance really eats into battery life/raises the cost/makes the machine too bulky, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ok, I think I am looking at something like
IdeaPad Y510p: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/
or something from MSI? They are apparently known for 'gaming laptops', to which some of the bells and whistles might be too much for my needs. They also have way too many models, which confuse me.
Example Model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...#productDetails

Once again, I want something that isn't too bulky (not quite a "desktop replacement"), can handle moderate gaming (like Dota 2 or your latest MMO/skyrim type game) preferably on higher settings, has a 15 inch screen (not higher nor lower), handles heat well, and will get some OK battery life when not used for gaming. The y510p looks like an excellent choice, but I have heard the battery is it's weakest point. I would also lean towards getting the dual gpu version, which might lead to other inconveniences.

Any input/recommendations/stuff I should look at or avoid? I might just bite the bullet for the Y510p if I can't find something comparable that will handle some of the factors I listed better. Budget: $1000 give or take a few hundy

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DoesNotCompute posted:

Don't bother with the dual GPU, they get so hot that they throttle and you'll see marginal gains in performance and you lose your optical drive. For about the same money as the dual GPU option you can buy a SSD, swap that in, then put the 1TB HDD in a caddy in the optical bay. Switching to SSD for your main will show you a way way bigger performance improvement than the dual GPU (gimmick)

Maybe a comparable MSI machine that uses a single (but slightly more powerful) GPU, and has a much better SSD option (big plus) at a similar price point? The Y510p without the SLI graphics might be just under what I would want in terms of GPU power by a slight margin. These are all fairly new machines, and reading random reviews usually leaves me indecisive.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

QuarkJets posted:

I would strongly suggest that you consider the Y410p instead. It'll be less bulky and will actually run games better (smaller screen resolution on the same hardware) than the y510p, and it's cheaper. The difference between a 14" and 15.6" screen is hardly noticeable.

The $829 y410p model is what you'd want, and then buy your own SSD and slap that in there. If you need more disk space, put the 1TB 5400RPM drive into your optical bay (the enclosures cost around $10-15, and if you badly need to be able to read DVDs then external DVD drives are around $30). It'll meet basically all of your requirements, but yes, battery life on the y-series hasn't been the greatest (~4-5 hours). This is the trade-off of having a dGPU and only a 6-cell battery.

Do not ever get a dual GPU laptop. This has always been a bad idea.

What exactly would I have to do to replace the 1TB with a 240gb+ SSD drive, and use the 1TB in the optical bay as storage if I were to get a y410p or y510p? It would be a very basic and easy install, and I would probably need to reinstall the OS and stuff onto the SSD, right?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, I need something before the end of this week and it doesn't look like I can get one of those y510p's for several weeks due to back order unless I go through another vendor like Newegg and pay extra. Does anyone know of a reliable vendor that has a competitive price, or won't charge sales tax for CA residents, or something to equalize everything? Might have to go with a Clevo from sager or something instead.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Im actually thinking of getting this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312834

With the dual SLI graphics card. It is priced at $70 more than the exact same specs on Lenovo's website with the single card (and $150 cheaper than the same config without the added SSD cache), is readily available for shipping right now, and the dual card while not universally useful can simply be swapped out to do the SSD+1tb caddy thing. 70 bucks to have the option of a second GPU on hand isn't a bad deal, especially when there is a 3 week wait otherwise. Am I missing some difference in specs from the $969.00 model on Lenovo's site here: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

Edit: Which SDD available on newegg should I get to replace the 1tb? 250gb is prob. enough

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 26, 2013

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

go3 posted:

With only a few well-engineered exceptions, SLI laptops have severe thermal issues, so much that your laptop will be forced to throttle down.

Yeah, but it's more of a "I need this now so i'm willing to pay $70 extra to have the option of SLI" purchase, because the not SLI model has a 3 week wait on Lenovo's site. I intend to actually swap it out and use the ultrabay for the 1TB drive it comes with, while swapping in an SSD for the primary disk.

I'm thinking about this SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

Last thing, if I wanted to double the RAM on this, how hard would it be to throw in 2 more 4gb sticks, and which sticks would I need to buy on newegg's site?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

QuarkJets posted:

It's actually $80 more. So you're basically just paying $80 to get the laptop a little sooner? I guess that's a thing that people do, but what's the rush?

Work will have me sitting for 9-10 hours a day somewhere with nothing to do, so I need something to keep me from being bored out of my mind. The extra cost is negligible too I suppose, because i'm getting the SLI GPU to swap in should I need it. Most likely not, but it leaves an extra option on hand.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

QuarkJets posted:

What? Does the second GPU take up the ultrabay slot in the y510p?

Yes, so basically ordering the machine I linked up there, I am paying $80 more (which is actually cheaper than buying that particular model with the 2nd GPU from Lenovo's site directly) for the 2nd GPU in the ultrabay slot, which I am taking out and replacing with the 1TB HDD, while a 256 SSD will go in the HD slot. Seems like an ok deal to me, especially considering i'll also get it several weeks quicker.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Got my Lenovo y510p and put the SSD in to replace the stock 1TB HDD. Windows 8 boots up in literally 2-3 seconds. Pretty ridiculous, I have a bit of buyer's remorse for buying a new to the market chipset laptop, but this machine seems like it will be pretty solid for a while.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Socrates16 posted:

What's the issue with buying a new to the market chipset laptop? I'm liking the y510p more and more the more I look at it. Is the battery replaceable? Why did you buy it and then swap out the hard drive rather than just adding on the SSD when you bought the laptop? How's the screen quality? Laptop reviews love not mentioning the screen quality. Yeah, I can look at the numbers on a spec sheet, but that doesn't tell me anything about the color accuracy, or the contrast ratio, black levels, etc. What'd you pay and where'd you get it from? Sorry for so many questions haha.

They actually don't offer it with an SSD option on Lenovo's site. They offer it with the mSATA cache, but only up to like 24 gb or something which seems for the most part useless. I actually got mine from newegg, since there was such a long wait on Lenovo's actual site. I got the model with the SLI graphics option, which was priced at $1049.00 before tax. I believe the same model is $1199.00 on Lenovo's website, but also comes with the mSATA cache SSD I mentioned above, whereas this one did not. I'm leaning towards actually removing the SLI graphics and putting the 1TB drive that came installed in the laptop in the ultrabay where it was instead.

The SLI model from Newegg is something like $80 more expensive than the non-SLI model from Lenovo's website, but there is a wait till the middle/end of Sept right now, and the extra $80 for an SLI graphics card that may or may not be useful seemed like a good idea to me.

Not sure what to say about the screen quality. It seems really good to me, but I don't regularly use assorted laptops enough to make a comparison. Maybe check out random reviews for that? I think the only real downside to this model is that it won't get very much battery life (maybe 2-3 hours) when not plugged in, but I don't really intend to use it as a browse the net and watch poo poo for hours solution, so no problem for me there. It's a very nice looking machine too, with the red backlit keys and sleek build quality. If I didn't care about such things, I might have considered building something from Sager for around the same price. You can generally get the same machine with way more customization available, but it won't have all the aesthetic bells and whistles.

Buyer's remorse is just because they will probably have slightly cheaper machines with more efficient batteries in x months or next year or whatever, but it's also just me being a little pessimistic.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mitsune posted:

I have been looking into laptops again for my girlfriend. She's starting her pharm. program this week and is looking to replace her Dell Inspiron e1505. Long story short: she has a machine dedicated to school and work, but wants a new laptop to playing video games (e.g. FFXIV, BL2, etc) on the go.

The Lenovo Y510P seems to be a perfect match for what she's looking for, but I'm concern about the performance and overheating.
A) In general, how well does this laptop manage heat? She's been using a laptop cooler to keep the old Dell machine running.
B) How much more does SLI improve gaming performance (e.g. SLI GT750m x2 vs GTX 770M x1)?
C) I hate to ask, but are there better alternatives that's high in performance and manages/displaces heat for long-term gaming (e.g Alienware :v:)?

I haven't ran anything too intense on it yet, but from what I gathered before I bought it, the GTX 770M and the 750sli are comparable, but the 770M is probably a better choice overall, because you won't have to deal with issues like heat, or micro stuttering at lower frame rates. I haven't done any extensive testing yet, but I will put something like Skyrim on here pretty soon and give it a whirl. As far as heat goes, i'm using it with a Cooler Master NOTEPAL U2 that has 2 adjustable fans, and it seems like it should be enough. Once again, I don't know how hot it will get if I run something demanding on ultra settings with the SLI card in, but I imagine it should be good.

If I had more money to spend, I probably would have gone with one of the Razerblades; those seem like the best gaming laptops you could buy, but start at around $2000 for the 14" with a 256 SSD, and probably 2500 or more for the 17". Alienware machines look nice too, but when you are in that overkill price range, the Razerblade appealed to me more. The 14" one gets beastly battery life and performance with the only downside being that it doesn't have 1080p resolution. At 14", that might not be much of a deal anyways.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Specific to the y510p, here is what I had to do to replace the stock HDD with a standard SSD (not the mSATA kind):

1) Take the battery out
2) Unscrew all the screws on the bottom
3) Take whatever is in the ultrabay slot out
4) Remove the bottom
5) Unscrew 2 screws holding down the stock HDD and the metal frame piece the stock HDD is fastened to
6) Pull the HDD and metal frame out (Note: Pull straight back until the drive is no longer connected, then lift the whole thing up and out)
7) Unscrew the HDD from the metal frame
8) Screw the SSD in the frame in its place. There is some kind of foil wraping around the stock HDD, I left it there and just screwed the SSD in with it, but I suppose you can take it out if you want
9) Snap the frame back in
10) Screw the 2 screws holding the frame in the laptop back in
11) Put the bottom back on, snap the ultrabay slot back in, and put all the other screws back in

There is no compartment specifically holding the HDD, so you have to remove the whole bottom which is annoying, but not really difficult. You could get it done in 20-30 minutes while having no clue what you are doing or 10 minutes if you have done it before and know exactly what you are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My SO wants to get a new laptop ASAP in the $1000ish range, and i'm not sure if she can wait for more RTX 3600 machines to pop up as this year progresses. Laptops are not usually my thing, but a little bit of searching around various places found me this Lenovo Legion 5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Legion-5-15-6-144Hz-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-RTX-2060-6GB/124480449368

that has pretty good specs from what I can see. For the sake of variety, is there anything similar around the same price that I should show her? What about something with a larger screen but similar specs (obv more expensive)?

Could we expect to see similar machines with 3600s in the next few months, or would it be a Q3/Q4 thing?