Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
two questions:

1) are egpu There Yet
2) should i just wait for the new batch of ryzen lappies at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Statutory Ape posted:

Lol god drat the nerd in me wants that second one so bad. For no reason.

The description is good as hell, they are so passionate about their product and I believe it. Fashionable and appropriate for my delicate womanly fingers while I sip a latte and chat with my girlfriends, how much better can it get

AverySpecialfriend fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 18, 2018

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Statutory Ape posted:

<me> i want the poo poo out of that
<friend> yeah drat that's tiny
<me> unfortunately i cant think of a single use for it
<friend> easy to bring to the shitter
<me> lol
<friend> sitting at a conspicuous part of a starbucks/dunkin so people see your sweet rear end tiny computer
<me> tell the cute barista how its small but really good and effective because im actually using a remote desktop connecftion to my computer i built at home and,

pretty much what a friend of mine said in a group chat

:allears:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Someone broke into my apartment and jacked my x250 and I want an x280 vs an x270 cuz I want that tight dual thunderbolt and I had the 6 cell but it broke the latch in the bottom of the laptop and became basically unusable (jostling would force reboot my pc.... Not into it) so the sealed battery sounds more like a plus to me

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
is there any word on upcoming ryzen laptops cuz i would like a laptop with worthwhile graphics

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Dell outlet is definitely one of the best places to purchase laptops period

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i wish the xps13 had trackpoint :sigh:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i'm a trackpoint truther and an x-fan since the x120e days

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Gigante posted:

Just ordered a refurb XPS 13 with an i7-8550u and 8GB/256GB from the Dell Outlet :thumbsup: I went for the 1080p screen

I might do this it's just way too dang affordable and I don't think the x270 has thunderbolt (or does it??) which is kind of a deal breaker for me at this point

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Gigante posted:

I don't think it does. The Dell Outlet has some coupon codes right now ($50 off $499+, $100 off $999+, etc.) too if that sweetens the deal

Yeah if it was this time next year I feel like I'd be getting an x280 but well my x250 didn't wait that long to get jacked :smith:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Gigante posted:

Also I accidentally ordered an XPS 13 with Windows 10 Pro instead of Home so that's cool I guess

I still don't understand the difference between home and pro; also how big of a performance jump is Gen 8 i5 to i7 because the gen 8 i5 9360 is like 800 buckers on outlet which seems like a steal

E oh wait ew nvm it only has 128gb ssd

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Okay so I gotta ask I'm looking and can't find this: is there a laptop out there with
a) kaby lake
b) discrete graphics
c) thunderbolt
d) 13" or smaller

I keep finding things that are like 3/4 of those it's so annoying!!! Like so close but not right it's bugging the crap out of me. Realistically I'll ditch the discrete graphics and it'll be easy but ugh, just ugh

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I think it just has regular c which I could deal with maybe but I'd really like thunderbolt idk!! It did catch my eye though and is currently on my shortlist

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Hmm what about the ideapad 720s anybody have any hot takes on that one? It looks like it ticks all my boxes

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Wahhhh only the 14" can have an mx150 not the 13", there is apparently a ryzen version however hmmm

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Sounds ideal to me, personally. I just want a lappy that's not gonna choke on semi modern titles is all, I was disappointed that my x250 had rather nice specs in all regards except igpu at the time and it was not very games capable

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Seamonster posted:

https://www.costco.com/.product.100375043.html

Certainly gives up portability to the XPS but 16/512 is big numbers at that price point.

This would be perfect if it had thunderbolt :cry:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
My previous laptop was an x250 so I like small laptops. Like I'm not trying to run ultra high settings on modern AAA games I don't even game *that* much anymore, I just want something that can competently play games at 1080p with middle good quality. I also don't currently have a laptop because mine got literally robbed from my apartment in a breaking and entering. Ugh. Sigh.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
egpu is something I would be curious about for the future but I am mostly wanting the possibility to display good screens from it if I need the workspace in the future which I might. I am considering the mx150 ideapad 720s 14" but it is a bit hefty and bigger than I would prefer. I am also curious about the ryzen 13" (I feel like you all are overestimating what I want out of this laptop games wise, more than indie but just the option to play newish games on medium heck even low settings with adequate framerate). I did catch that the ryzen 13" has some memory bottleneck issues however but it ticks most the things I'm interested in and I can grab one for under $1000 which is about my limit. Anyway thanks for the advice y'all I will meditate on my options.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
A t480 is too large for me. It seems very large. I would rather give up on the dgpu at that point and snag an x280 which I might because I loved my x250 and my x120e before that.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm still mourning my robbed x250

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Bitlocker is kinda cool but I can't imagine the average user would ever get much use out of the other 10 pro features

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Send it back prolly

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I like small laptops so I can type with my delicate fingers and sip lattes with my gal pals and wink at the cute barista girl

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
oops wrong thread lmao

AverySpecialfriend fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 31, 2018

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
swing and a miss

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I thought backlit keyboard was standard? Does it not work or is there just nothing on fn spacebar?

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I've only had good laptops. X120e, C720, X250... All bangers. I did have some broke rear end desktops though and my older brother had this fuuunky blue Dell laptop c. 2004/2005 that just loved to overheat

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i would be willing to get a chromebook for linux usage use if it was adequately powered and had a nice keyboard + acceptable screen

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i have extra depreciation i can cash in from my insurance claim after my laptop got jacked so there's no price point difference between a $500 laptop and a $800 laptop out of pocket

i hate laptop shopping because i get huge information overload

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
U can get a 13" with ryzen tho if the gpu is what ur after

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
800 for a new open box, 7th gen i5, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, qhd xps 13 9360..... Jump?

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Where tf is the x280 anyway

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm not getting a new laptop period I just wanted to know. I have narrowed down my choices to an xps 13 or a 2015 mbp if I decide I reaaaaaally want garageband

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
What's the deal with iris graphics aka is there an argument to go with a 6560u over a 7500u

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I got a very lightly used yoga 900 for five hundred bucks and I feel pretty solid about it

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Wot about the new Razer Blade Stealth. Is it any good and what can you even play with an MX150 etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Someone get this man a laptop before he kills someone