Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BleedingPhoenix
Jun 3, 2019

The Flames of Disaster are closer than you may think.
So I want to get a new laptop as I pursue a career in cybersecurity. The laptop I've got rn is fine, but if I'm gonna run the big boy stuff like Kali Linux, I want some really good hardware that can run what I need with ease.

My current laptop. The most taxing thing I've ran on this thing is Doom: Eternal, which chugged along at 10fps but was still playable. As much as I enjoy gaming, though, my priority is a machine that can handle cybersecurity tasks with little issue.

Budget is around $1K. I could probably buy something higher, but I'd rather not drain all of my savings. What should I check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BleedingPhoenix
Jun 3, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What kind of things are most important to cyber security? CPU, GPU, RAM?

CPU and RAM more than anything else. A lot of memory and strong processing power is essential when running the various tools and software. Graphics are more of a plus.

BleedingPhoenix
Jun 3, 2019

Rexxed posted:

Kind of generic requirements, so just get a good thinkpad.

yeah sorry I'm not more specific, I don't know a lot about the hardware side of things.

Hadlock posted:

If you want something with good Linux support yeah you want a Thinkpad

I'll check out Thinkpads, thank you both for the help!

BleedingPhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 28, 2020