Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
The Lenovo U430 showed up briefly on the Lenovo site this morning. Looks like you can make a pretty decent system with the exception it is limited to 8GB of RAM. Only one RAM slot? How am I supposed to have 100 browser tabs open? Also the display is only 250nit and something tells me it is going to be glossy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
The Dell Inspirion 7000 models are now available on Dell's site. Specifically, I am considering the Inspiron 14 7000. I would prefer a Thinkpad T440s but I want to have a new laptop before a big business trip in November. I also would prefer a 37W/47W CPU but what the hell, I can't wait forever.

Does anyone have the repair manual for the Inspiron 14 7000 (7437)? I'd specifically like to know if the memory is soldered on, and if an MSATA SSD can be added in addition to the rotational drive. I'm a developer and I have a hundred++ gigs of virtual machines I carry around ('cloud' generally isn't an option when I'm on the road) so I need a decent amount of slow storage in addition to fast.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 26, 2013

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
You're a god. Here's the answer to both my questions. mSATA is on the bottom of the motherboard but there is one. And along the top you see the RAM soldered on.

That should be good enough for me. I've been waiting since February to get a new laptop, expecting after the Haswell release there would be a glut of awesome haswell ultrabooks. At this point I'm willing to make so many compromises I'm beginning to feel like some sort of drug addict. It's ok it doesn't have a full TDP CPU... or an IPS display... or 16GB of RAM... or a clitmouse... EDIT: or gigabit ethernet apparently...

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 26, 2013

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Is the general consensus to wipe new laptops when we get them, or just uninstall everything we can? I just got one of the new Inspiron 14 7000s and it has a ton of Dell Upgrade, Dell Recovery, Dell Delivery, Dell Backup (which won't let me make a driver backup to an external USB disk, only USB stick wtf), Dell Assistant, My Dell, Micheal Dell Skypes Your Mother, McAffee This and McAffee That, SQL Server Compact...

I am adding a 240GB SSD tonight and was going to keep this crap hard drive for data storage (Virtual Machines wheee) and I'm wondering if it is better to start from scratch or to try and shrink copy the partition.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I don't see it being mentioned in this thread as a contender but I got a new Dell Inspiron 14 last week and I really think it is a good option.

The Inspiron 14 currently comes in two configurations, with an i5-4200U/6GB RAM or i7-4500U/8GB of RAM. The rest of the specs are the same:

Intel EXTREEEME 4400 integrated GPU only
500GB 5200RPM 5mm spinning hard drive
1920x1080 touchscreen display
58Whr battery
Dual Band WiFi 7260 2x2 AGN + Bluetooth 4.0
No wired ethernet
2x USB 3.0 ports
HDMI out
4.3lbs (my measurement) 15.3mm thick

Right out of the gate, the display on this thing is fantastic. I'm not sure if it is IPS but the colors are accurate right out of the box, viewing angles are good, and the display folds all the way back 180 degrees if you are into that. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard so there won't be any upgrades in your future in that respect. The keyboard is full sized, backlit, and sturdy, but the key travel is short. The laptop feels heavy for its size, but 4.3lbs isn't too heavy. The exterior is a strongish alloy so there's no creaking or bending.

The trackpad is a synaptic touchpad with a decent texture to it. It feels better than my old HP Envy 15's, but it is still a trackpad so the usual caveats apply. The click is crisp and precise and there's no jiggle to it. It's a bit short though, depth-wise, so I often end up activating the "swipe-down" gesture because I end up in the upper portion frequently. This can be disabled though, so problem solved. I know a lot of you are anti-touchscreen, but it makes using the trackpad slightly less disagreeable. I use the touchscreen for clicking larger things-- ok buttons, start menu tiles, web page buttons, scrolling. For precision you still need the trackpad to click.

Battery life is really good. I haven't drained the battery completely yet, but I can flip the laptop on when I get home at 6pm and use it until bed time at 11-12 and still have 30-40% left. Usage is web stuff, some visual studio C++ work, maybe OpenSCAD. The power adapter is a small, smaller than the size of two decks of cards, and the cord is around 10 feet long.

The hard drive in this thing is really its limiting factor. Sequential read speeds around 90MB/s, 4kb read speeds around 0MB/s. I've seen the "latency" in the windows 8 task manager reach close to 10 seconds. If something is hitting the hard drive, be prepared for the whole machine to be sluggish. Dell doesn't offer it as an option, but the motherboard has a 6BG/s mSATA slot so I've upgraded to a 240GB SSD as my main drive. Installing the mSATA is a bit of a oval office because you have to pretty much take the entire laptop apart to get to it (bottom side of the motherboard). After that upgrade you'll feel like you've got a new laptop.

The dual core 1.8GHz CPU is pretty quick, with a 3GHz turbo bin you'll see getting used frequently. Launching a game you'll see your 15W CPU throttle pretty hard once it hits 70C so don't think you'll be playing Star Citizen on it or anything. Indie games like FTL are fine and don't even hit the throttle. The laptop stays really cool in normal use, and the fan never kicks up to audible range unless something hammers the CPU for 30 seconds continually.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my biggest gripe, that PgUp/PgDn/Home/End are Fn keys on the arrows. 1" of space on each side of the keyboard and we can't have dedicated keys for these? For a developer this is a real productivity killer because I'm constantly moving around in source code with the keyboard and my brain keeps thinking that if I need to press Fn I need to also press shift, which selects text and then everything is a mess. The Visual Studio addin that makes the scrollbar into a live preview is a boon here because instead of PgUp/Dn I just look at where I want to be in the source and touch the screen there.

Cost is reasonable too. $940+$65 tax, and 5% back in "Dell Credit" as well as 2% cash back if you click through to Dell from Fat Wallet.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 19, 2013