Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Seems pretty typical for a $700 laptop. They won't get good screens until the prices are bumped up to $1300+

It's just tradition when it comes to the 14" Thinkpads. My T42 had a garbage screen and so did my T400. They were all garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd think they would just skip ahead and offer retina level displays like Sony

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're not doing anything productive on it then the iPad is a great choice. There's plenty of games and fun apps to try out. The screen is also more beautiful and sharper than 99% of laptops out there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It works like smartphones. They have ultra high resolution and the text is easily read. I don't know if it's done as well on Windows 8 but I believe that specific programs have to be changed to support it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Macbook Air has it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not crazy if you don't mind the Mac running really hot and having lovely battery life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

How do you decipher screen specs? The OP says to pick IPS over TN, but all of the screen options I see read like this:

I don't see anything in there that tells me if it's IPS or TN.

None of them are IPS. Lenovo is cheap and only put IPS displays into their Yoga or Thinkpad X230 (labelled as a premium $50 upgrade). Thinkpads are great laptops but you won't be getting quality displays.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much. It's a surprising delight when a laptop doesn't have a lovely screen so every review will mention it if it's great. Also they don't have to be IPS to be good. The new Sony laptops with Haswell has a 1080 display and decent viewing angles without being IPS.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 13, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For me it's based on cost of the laptop. If I'm getting a Thinkpad T430 for $650 I wouldn't bother with the extra warranty. I always get Applecare for my Macs though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The keyboard light is useless. The last two I had didn't even light up the keyboard area properly and just shined right in your face.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

if it was me I would get the Dell. Better screen and it has a warranty. Do not get laptops without support.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're just going to replace the 1TB hard drive you can use a standard SSD

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Using Windows on a Macbook isn't a good idea. Battery life goes to poo poo and it will run hot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Michael Scott posted:

Don't by Asus -- I bought a laptop from them like 5 years ago, and they stopped updating drivers to work with their custom onboard video/dedicated video card setup. Regular nVidia drivers cause the laptop to crash to a halt completely, and they stopped providing updated modified drivers in 2009. So my video drivers are from 2009, and I can't update.

It struggles with even brief HD content, and crashes nearly every time I try to watch a flash video over 5 minutes or so. :(

Wouldn't any computer that's 5 years old have trouble with modern video streaming?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

voltron posted:

What laptop has the nicest (understand that's subjective) screen? I am looking for a 15" screen that has great visuals. I think integrated video will do fine for my purposes (Counter-strike, Q3, and 1080p video).

I can't think of any competition for the 15" Macbook Pro Retina at the moment. There's a bunch of good stuff in the 13" ultrabook range like the Acer UX31

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm expecting 0 spike in prices. In fact Apple's Macbook Air lowered in price when it was updated with Haswell.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are certainly better than the default or the 1600x900 screens.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Schmetterling posted:

I've basically decided that I want one of the new Macbook Airs, but now I need to choose exactly which type. I want 13" and 8gb ram for sure, but I don't know whether to go for the i5 or the i7. I also don't know whether the 128gb ssd would be big enough, or whether I should spend the extra for the 256gb. Any advice?

Cost is a big issue; with education discount and applecare the i5/128gb is $1511, i5/256gb is $1707, i7/128gb is $1668, and the i7/256gb is $1978.

You can also just buy the Applecare later. You have a year to get it.

I would buy the i5/256gigs. The i7 isn't worth it unless you know you need it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. You can just do it at any Apple Store if you bring proof you're in college.

edit: I'm assuming it's the same in Australia, but I don't think you guys have official Apple Stores yet. You could probably just get it at the Apple online store,

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What were your expectations?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is no such thing as a thin 15" laptop that weighs 3 pounds. The closest you'll get is a Macbook Pro Retina and those cost over $2,000

You need to set your sights lower in several categories. You can get affordable Chromebooks in 12" sizes and those are pretty light.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not sure there are really any Ultrabooks in that price range. At least ones that are any good. I think you need to save up another $200.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's not even their stupidest name.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They specifically call it a T440s so there will probably be a regular T440. No idea what could be different about it though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They claim up to 6 hours with a 3 cell internal battery. That's a stretch and my bullshit detector is going crazy. I wish everyone was more like Apple and actually told you the conditions on how they get the battery life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are you talking about. I can't wait for the Samsung ATIV One 5 Style and the Sony model SGZ811939 Ultrabook

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had a Clevo/Sager 8130 and in terms of build quality it was a hunk of poo poo. Very cheap plastic feel and one of the screws stripped when I was replacing the hard drive. Can't argue with the amazing specs you get for the money, but I was glad to just return it and get something else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The T430 has a 14" screen. Get it with a 1600x900 resolution

The T530 has a 15" screen. Only get this if you have the cash to upgrade to the 1080p option. THey charge an arm and a leg for this for some reason.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 13, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can just disable the discrete GPU in settings to boost battery life.

As far specs goes those look pretty good. I'd get the bare minimum RAM and upgrade that myself

The laptop itself looks butt ugly IMO.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Please reduce the number of Thinkpads available. No wonder people get confused

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would wait for the Haswell Thinkpads if only to see how much they cost. The IPS screen alone is worth the wait because the display on the T430 is hot garbage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But it has 3 days of Extreme stress testing

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 17, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know why. When I called customer support the guy gave me his email and it was @lenovo.ca

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's going to be the same as the T430

Laptops don't really go up in price when new models come out. For example the new Macbook Air with Haswell actually went down $100.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For normal use you won't notice any difference. I think only people that run benchmarks can tell.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So like 11 seconds vs 15 seconds?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are all bad. Just pick the cheapest one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Toshiba has a 21:9 aspect ratio. And no that's not a typo. 1792 x 768

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Ativ Book 9 Plus" sounds like a Google Translate disaster. I would have tried to extend their Galaxy name to the laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The T440s will have IPS 1080p options.