Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can buy a $12 laptop sleeve on Amazon and then use that with literally any bag you want. I use the same backpack I've been using since 10 years ago. I don't know why you'd buy a bag specifically for a laptop. The laptop bag should conform to you and bend to your will, not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only things worth buying from Lenovo are the Thinkpad T/X and maybe P series if you need a big workstation. Everything else is on the level of cheapo HP or Dell consumer machines you buy at Best Buy. So nothing really stands out about the ideapads so I would only buy one if it was a good deal that's better than a Dell Inspiron.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you have the budget the 15" Thinkpads have the numpad but I feel those laptops are bulkier than they need to be compared to the X1 Carbon

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should just looks for a display that says 1080p IPS. A lot of laptops have that and they are good quality with wide viewing angles. Some aren't very bright like on Thinkpads.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KM Scorchio posted:

Hopefully an easy one... What’s the go to laptop at under £500 for general web browsing, personal admin and light home office use? Wont be used for games or media, screen around 14-15” preferably.

Probably a Chromebook. The HP X360 14" 2 in 1 has great reviews and has a touch screen. It has better build quality than any $500 laptop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Austin Evans and Hardware Canucks also love it. Looks like a winner. I think the 1660ti is plenty for me but I want that faster processor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've used xoticpc and besides doing some sketchy tax thing it was fine. I got a decked out Sager gaming notebook and it lasted a few years before I sold it.

For the tax thing they shipped my laptop from California to another state and then shipped it back to my address in California. I don't think that loophole works anymore since even Newegg and Amazon charge taxes now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The XPS 13 is $1100 and the standard to beat for a thin and light Windows machine. If I can't get a Macbook Air I'd get that.

You might need to buy a cheap hub because it doesn't have USB-A ports.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I sure as hell rather be in South Korea than here right now

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably something like a curbside pickup at Best Buy

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The latest XPS 13 has pretty much universal praise. Dell seems to constantly improve things here and there with each refresh to the point where nothing is really wrong with it anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo has announced new gaming notebooks based on Ryzen 4000.

Also maxes out at RTX2060. They don't specify, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the 65w variant.

Weird that the Ryzen is only in the Legion 5 (sucessor to the Y540) and not available in the Legion 7 (Y740). According to Dave2d the Y740 had much better build quality than the 540 so I wonder if that's the same in the new refresh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just avoid Lenovo unless it's a Thinkpad T or X. gently caress their phones too. Slowest software updates ever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AgentCow007 posted:

Keep in mind Dell's return policy is 30 days from the date on the packing slip, not the date that you received it.

How is this legal

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Install Ryzen Master for the most accurate temps

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the X1 carbon because it has a 14" screen in the body of a 13" laptop. If you have up to 2k you can pretty much max out the specs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No? They dominate the desktop and both the Playstation 5 and new Xbox are using AMD processors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The XPS looks way better but not more than 30% price better IMO. Maybe the cost difference is because good 17" screens are pretty rare now

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I. M. Gei posted:

UPDATE: It is two and a half days later and THE loving STUPID rear end loving BANK STILL HASN’T loving FORKED OUT THE loving CASH FOR THIS loving LAPTOP!!! :bang:

We have called them at least 3 times now. The last time we talked to them, which was yesterday, the idiot fucker bank man told us that they hadn’t released the money yet because they hadn’t gotten the “paperwork” from Dell saying I bought a thing from them. I’m guessing that “paperwork” means whatever magic electronic loving fairy unicorn fartdust a retailer sends a bank whenever a debit card transaction happens that says “HEY ASSHOLES, YOUR CUSTOMER BOUGHT A THING FROM US, PLZ PAY US MONEY FROM THEIR ACCOUNT FOR SAID THING, THX”?

Now I’m waiting on a Dell representative to tell me if something got clogged up in the pipeline on their end. I want this loving poo poo to be resolved yesterweek, but tomorrow is loving Sunday and Dell’s customer service department isn’t even open on Saturday.

It is taking every ounce of restraint in my body not to start shouting alarming, possibly-threatening things at these dumbass bank people to just pay this loving cash already. I don’t care if they have to physically hand me a sack full of actual dollar bills with a big “$” sign on it and I have to drive the bag of money to Dell headquarters and hand it over to them myself. I have needed a new laptop for A loving DECADE AND A HALF. If I don’t see the poo poo I am trying to order literally enter the inside of a postal truck by end-of-day Monday, I might do a violence on something.

Debit cards aren't all that secure for the consumer. Use a credit card man.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do they sell refurbs at retail Apple stores?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple announced today their Macs are switching over to their own ARM processors over the next two years. Let's just kick Intel in the balls.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Macbook Air from 2012 that still got the lastest MacOS update and security updates. They support stuff forever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Zephyrus G14 is $1350 right now. Pretty good specs and it's pretty thin and light. Runs hot as hell while gaming of course.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay fine, I’ll rephrase a bit.

I’m looking for a laptop carrying bag/case that will fit a new Dell XPS 17. I need something messenger bag or briefcase style, with regular carrying handles, a shoulder strap, and a trolley strap (aka that thing you use to strap it to the handle on your rolling luggage). I don’t give a loving poo poo how big it is, as long as I can carry it around in one hand. I DON’T WANT A loving BACKPACK, and I don’t want it to have wheels or a telescopic handle like a suitcase unless that’s the best I can get with all of the other features I want. I also don’t give a poo poo how much it costs.

I DO NOT have to get it from Dell.com like I mentioned earlier; I can save that Dell Rewards money for something else.

Here’s a list of the features I NEED it to have:
• Impact resistant and/or shock resistant
• Water resistant
• All the other poo poo I said in the paragraph above

And the features I REALLY REALLY WANT IF I CAN GET THEM, but don’t necessarily need:
• Checkpoint friendly
• Enough storage space to hold a power cable, a mouse, maybe a peripheral or two, etc

Or, if y’all don’t have any recommendations for specific cases or bags, then can you at least tell me other places I can go to find some? I’ve already checked Dell.com and Amazon, and Google isn’t showing me many other options besides Best Buy or Staples. I don’t want any cheap Chinese garbage like Amazon seems to be filled with nowadays.

The only tricky thing is the size of the XPS 17. I really like Tom Bihn. Made in Seattle with lifetime warranty and pretty much checks all your boxes. I would measure the XPS dimensions and see if it fits into their laptop fit guide.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/laptop-bags

Take a look at those. I'm partial to the Cadet or Empire Builder.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Empire has it. But it's big.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never had my PC automatically restart and I'm on Windows 10 pro. Could that be it? You can buy a cheap cd key on sa-mart. It's legit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They still run super hot while gaming. The main difference is that they can run quietly while web browsing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

edit: wrong thread

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's probably from cramming a gaming laptop into a thin and light chassis.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Falcon laptops are just rebranded ones from Sager or Clevo. You might be able to find the same hardware for cheaper.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No need since nobody reads the OP anyway

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 2012 Macbook Air ran like a champ until a few months ago when the SSD died. It did need a battery replacement in 2018.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Instead of Ampere I'd be interested if they figured out a way to maintain 1660 Ti performance while running cooler and longer battery life. I'm perfectly happy with 1080p gaming on laptops.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dave2d says the Legion 7i runs super hot and throttles a lot. I'd just avoid Intel this generation. Tiger Lake sounds a lot more promising.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would. If you spend over a grand on something and don't love it then get rid of it. I think the weight would bother me for sure and tiger lake should handle casual to medium gaming well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chillyrabbit posted:

Lenovo Legion 5 review by jarrodtech Ryzen 4800h model with 1660ti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLF1pp3pRw

I feel relieved that it reviewed as a decent laptop for it's price and that there wasn't a huge flaw that kills it. I actually use mine more as a mobile computer than a laptop as I have a keyboard and monitor set up wherever I need a computer.

The temperature measurements are really good, but the fans I can say in person if you have turbo performance mode on it is LOUD.

Ugh that stupid number pad that shifts everything to the left. It's like a cancerous growth on a gaming laptop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's worth waiting for reviews on the new laptops with Intel Xe integrated graphics. Supposed to be a huge jump in performance. enough to play mainstream stuff like Overwatch in 1080 Ultra 60+ fps.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/31/21542700/intel-iris-ex-max-discrete-graphics-gpu

quote:

Today, Intel revealed the full first wave of laptops that will include this GPU, some of which are available for purchase now in certain countries.

The laptops include the Acer Swift 3X, the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1, and the Asus VivoBook Flip TP470.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 1, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just use revo uninstaller to get rid of most of the crap. Win 10 works pretty well nowadays with little maintenance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bull3964 posted:

So, everyone has been signing the praises of the first round of M1 based apple notebooks, but all the reviews left out a key piece of info that I'm interested in.

What's the performance delta between plugged in and on battery.

This seems like a really key piece of info as that's one of the Achilles heels of current laptops. The shrinking of the power envelop to either save battery life or even keep up with power demands and the performance dip that results can really nerf the mobile part of being mobile. It seems like going very low watt ARM at 5nm should allow them to run the same plugged in or not plugged in, but no one seemed like they tested that.

It would be fantastic if we got to a place where you didn't take a major performance hit by going unplugged.

I read 5 different reviews now and nobody mentioned any difference in performance. Kind of frustrating. But I think we can assume based on the iPad's performance that it's going to be very similar whether on battery or not. AFAIK the iPad Pro for example is a beast while just on battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the latest Microsoft vaporware that nobody will buy like holo lens