Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 1080p display is pretty good on the T530. They make you pay out the rear end for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it takes a long time for video buffering for her right now a new computer probably won't change anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ask again next year when you're buying it. A lot can change in that time.

Right now I'd say the overall best laptop is the 13" Macbook Air. It's very light, thin, built well, has the best trackpad, and the battery lasts over 10 hours with normal use like movies, music, web browsing.

I lugged around a 15" Macbook Pro in college and I wish I had an Air back then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've actually never personally met someone that hated my Air. Everyone that sees it ogles at it and wants to touch it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get the SSD.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember when we all thought there would be a flurry of Haswell laptops in June? What the gently caress happened?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Inspector_71 posted:

The Samsung is going to be like $5-600 more though, isn't it?

Also, what's so bad about that non-touch resolution? I'm seriously interested in the T440s now.

The non-touch 1080p resolution is great. It's just not available as a touch screen which I guess some might want.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

evilweasel posted:

Who? I've never seen much of a use case for touch on a standard laptop.

No clue. The companies keep trying to push it on people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most laptops will fit a standard SSD. What is your laptop? There's a few exceptions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've use them before and I trust them. I went through kind of a weird ordering process and they helped me through it completely.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Samsung is a Haswell

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

InstantInfidel posted:

It follows fine. Battlefield 3 is challenging for a mid-range mobile graphics card to run today; when the lowest common denominator of hardware that has to run new games suddenly jumps eight years ahead, the effect will be more than trivial.

Don't the first year of games look crappy though? I don't think the 360 games impressed me until Gears of War and that was a year later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are the changes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The big difference will be the screen quality. I think the one on the T430 is garbage, even the 1600x900 one has such bad viewing angles. We don't know how the battery life will compare yet, but I'm assuming it will be better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No it doesn't

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh man that clickpad on the T440s looks terrible. Why can't they just copy Apple?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Progressive JPEG posted:

I just tap to click :shrug:

Yeah, but look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAwp9rHMinY

What the gently caress?

Looks and sounds like a rattly piece of poo poo. That noise would drive me nuts in 5 minutes.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 31, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I had a question about these ultra high res displays we're seeing now. The Ativ Book 9 Plus for example has a 13" screen with a 3200x1800 resolution. Now surely at that size everything on the screen would be two small to see comfortably? I know they recommend using Windows pixel scaling, but then what advantage is there in having a 3200x1800 display with 2x pixel scaling rather than a 1600x900 screen? Is there any point?

Look at your smartphone

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every computer I own will have an SSD from now on. It is essential.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Buy the SSD yourself and install it. Also get less RAM. You can always add more later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I am glad they got rid of the 730. It was a waste of space.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dub Step for a laptop commercial. Kill me now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get the Applecare if you plan to use it for more than a year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't see any announcements. Today is about the new iPhone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks Lenovo we now have the following Thinkpads - T440s, T440p, T540p, W540, L440, L540, E440, and E450.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It can do even more. It handles 2880x1800 on the Macbook Pro Retina.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The insane battery life on the 13" MBA shouldn't be overlooked.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The A7 is about as powerful as a Core 2 Duo. A few more generations and Apple could totally go back to non-Intel processors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The ultra high resolution screens work the same as smartphones. You can get a Galaxy S4 or HTC One with 1080p on a 5" screen and it's easy to read. It gets upscaled and you don't see pixels.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HIgh end IPS 1080 displays only come on high end systems. $1200+

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Works for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys spending $1,000+ on laptops without even reading reviews are nuts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The integrated graphics is a huge upgrade too. What else do people want besides better battery life at this point? Is anyone complaining about laptops being too slow?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uranium 235 posted:

So is the T440 series going to be ideal for my wife who needs to use Revit, AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Illustrator? She'll be commuting in NYC so weight is an issue, and these look nice and lightweight. I think she also needs a 1920x1080 display.

No one knows because nobody has it yet. But in terms of specs they are pretty great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looking at the specs it's typical for a $500 laptop. Bad screen, slow hard drive, tiny battery.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do not buy any laptop with AMD processors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It will probably be fine if you just leave it on your desk. And you're right that all laptop in that price range have bad screens.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For laptop sleeves/bags I high recommend Waterfield https://www.sfbags.com

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It works fine if you just need it for average student stuff. You get crazy-long 12 hour battery life and it will handle paper writing and light photoshop. It has an SD slot so you can throw in a 64gig card too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm guessing the T430 is still available but the Lenovo site is broken. Not a surprise since their site is always broken in some way.