Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I've been toying with getting a cheap CB box to use as my couch surf computer and then doing a dual boot to linux for those times I just need to go hardcore and run ssh/putty terminals or the like. No gaming or intensive stuff.

I was offered a Acer c740 (11" 1366x768, 3205U, 4G, 16GeMMC) for like $200 by a guy who thought chromebook was the same as a full laptop, so can't use it.

Everything I'm reading says it would be good for just doing that, but I haven't played with a CB before, so a little pensive. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Atomizer posted:

FYI that's a Chromebook, there's also a Chromebox (among other form factors) which is the class of SFF desktops running ChromeOS. Also Chromebooks are "full laptops" and no, he can use it unless he doesn't browse the Web, type things, or watch video; that guy who's selling it is just dumb. :jerkbag: That C740 is fine for a new/recent small CB, emphasis on the size like DrDork mentioned. The HD resolution is OK for an 11.6" panel, but that size is intended for portability over usability, so if you're just going to be using it at home on the couch you'd probably want a bigger display; 13.3 and 14" are going to be far more usable. Other than that the CPU and RAM are fine (they're pretty standard for a CB, and are my baseline recommendation for ChromeOS specs) and ultimately the C740 is perfectly good as a first CB. Also of note is the fact that this model goes for $250 new (plus shipping/tax,) so I guess $200 flat for a like-new version is an OK deal (I mean it's not bad at all, it's just not a particularly flashy or remarkable CB. For example, the Acer R11 is similarly priced at the same size and adds a touchscreen, 360° hinge, and instant access to Android apps all for the tradeoff of a lower-end CPU, which is still within the bottom range of usable performance.)

Small is exactly what I'm looking for. I've got my T series work laptop, and desktops for gaming. I'm lamenting the death of my Nexus7 (old couch computer), and small is I can easily throw into a bag to carry around for those times you want something simple and not feel guilty if it's lost/etc. Linux dual boot is more of a "just because I can" and I use it daily at work.

The guy selling it is one of those people that just buys the cheapest sale thing from like bestbuy or wherever and then gets pissed off when things don't work to his liking.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Also of note is the fact that this model goes for $250 new (plus shipping/tax,) so I guess $200 flat for a like-new version is an OK deal (I mean it's not bad at all, it's just not a particularly flashy or remarkable CB. For example, the Acer R11 is similarly priced at the same size and adds a touchscreen, 360° hinge, and instant access to Android apps all for the tradeoff of a lower-end CPU, which is still within the bottom range of usable performance.)

Just as a followup to myself, turns out the $200 box had a french keyboard (hence why he hated it). So that's a no-go with a 10ft pole.

Then ebay had the same (english keyboard though) LNIB buynow for $100 ($125 with shipping). So I'm happy.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Mini trip report: got to say, this chromebook (acer 740) is exactly what I was looking for. While ChromeOS is a touch limiting (but great as a general use/play box), dual booting to GalliumOS (via chrx) allows me to run all my work apps and things like network sniffers and the like. All in a 3lb box with full day battery length.

So yeah, if you're in IT and need a laptop to run around with, a chromebook should be close to the top of your list.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

What is durability like on a chromebook? Context: I subscribe to the cult of thinkpad

Depends on the laptop. But you'll find that Chromebook subscribes to the cult of disposable.

You log in with your google account and it just downloads your old settings from the cloud. Also there's a "wipe clean" (aka factory reset) function that's easily accessible, so it really is designed to be wiped and rebuilt frequently.