Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop, it doesn't have to play games with ultra graphics but I would like to try the likes of the Elder scrolls Online comfortably in big picture mode on steam.

I've been looking at this. Mainly because I get 15% off and 3 months interest free.

Specs are:
Touchscreen
Intel® Core™ i7- 4700MW Processor
16Gb RAM
1000Gb Hard Drive
15.6 inch HD LED backlit TruBrite 16:9 touchscreen display
DVD SuperMulti - Dual Layer Drive
2GB NVIDIA® Dedicated Graphics
802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth

It's been such a long time since I've bought something like this and I'm feeling a bit lost, any advice would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

shrughes posted:

The screen is a crappy 1366x768 screen, you shouldn't pay 999 GBP for that.

edit: interest?

I'd be paying £850 because I have 15% off. 3 months interest free but I'd be pay £250 upfront then £200 a month to avoid the interest.

I'd mainly be using it for work and streaming on the screen, with an HDMI cable for gaming. I just don't have the space for a desktop.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The description on the page says "Full HD" which means 1920x1080. The OP should probably have a section like this:
HD 1366s768
HD+ 1600x900
FHD 1920x1080

I found a link to a review here the screen is 1980x1080, which the review calls unimpressive. The last time I had a pc bought for gaming the Sims 1 and Morrowind were the biggest things around so I'm not sure how much I'll notice the difference.

How big a deal is a SSD? Having never used a system with on I can't be objective, I understand it's faster but I don't really have any idea of how much of a factor it would be.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Every computer I own will have an SSD from now on. It is essential.

I'm looking about now, it feels like to get the SDD I'm dropping the dedicated graphics or pricing myself out.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Buy the SSD yourself and install it. Also get less RAM. You can always add more later.

How will I know if I can add an SSD? I can't see any information about the motherboard on the original link.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

If it has a HDD, then you can replace it with an SSD, they use the same interface. And to reiterate what everyone else said, a HDD is the largest bottleneck in your system for most things, and SSDs are a considerable improvement over HDDs. As far as upgrades go, on any not-ancient laptop with an HDD, upgrading to an SSD will give you the most bang for your buck. They are expensive, however.

You should only look at SATA III drives, and chances are good that you'll want a 2.5" form factor. Check out the SSD megathread for more information

I'm going to need the storage space, I don't think I could use it as my primary drive. I doubt 250gb would cut it and any bigger is just more than I'd be willing able to spend.

Edit: Saying that if I looked at buying an external drive I can access through Wi-Fi for..things we aren't supposed to talk about... I might be able to add the SDD in a year or so when I'm feeling flush.

Edit 2: Would something like this be an alternative?

Xillah fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 2, 2013

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Hybrid drives aren't much better than HDDs. The SSD portion of a hybrid drive is just used for caching, which provides a speedup for files that are very commonly accessed. This could help with gaming if you anticipate only playing 1-2 titles at a time and if you don't mind that it take some time for the disk to figure out which files are currently the ones that you want to have cached.

Another option is to buy a laptop with an ultrabay slot and put an HDD in there as a secondary drive, using a SSD as your primary drive. If you get a laptop with a HDD, then you can buy an SSD + the ultrabay HDD caddy (this is cheap) and then have the best of both worlds: a SSD for performance + a secondary HDD for capacity, all contained within your laptop. The downside to this is that you either have to go without an optical drive (a great option for most) or get an external optical drive (these are cheap and very portable, but you might still prefer to have something internal). The Y410p would support this option, I don't know what the cost of it is in the UK though

The only seller I could see from a quick google search was e-bay, If I'm pulling out more than £400 I need to get credit. I did eye up the Lenovo Y500 before deciding on the one I posted. Simply because I didn't know what benefit an 8gb SSD would add and it had an inferior processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Eyeing up this at the moment, is there anything glaringly wrong with the spec? It's a replacement for my 7 year-old ASUS ROG.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...207689-pdt.html

Spec:

OVERVIEW
Type Gaming laptop
Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)

PERFORMANCE
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor
- Hexa-core
- 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz
- 12 MB cache

RAM
16 GB DDR4 (2933 MHz)