Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is anything still recommended from last year's ultrabooks? I'm finally ready to ditch my beloved ThinkPads for something more lightweight, but I'm also hoping to do it cheaply and stay on Windows 7. Lightweight, sturdy, long battery life are the main considerations for me. I'm not really interested in a touchscreen even if I do end up with Windows 8.

I've only just started looking, but the Acer Aspire S3-391-6046 and Toshiba Satellite U845t-S4165 seem OK. I know the Toshiba comes with the touchscreen, I guess I'm wondering if people think touchscreens will really last or if Microsoft is going to relent on their one-OS-for-all-devices strategy and make a more desktop-friendly version of Windows again in the future.

My use case will be mostly word processing (I'm a teacher/student), web browsing and some presentations so I guess VGA out and an Ethernet port will be good to have too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

buildmorefarms posted:

I'm in the market for a laptop that fits the following requirements:

- Small footprint/portable (but probably no smaller than a 13" display)
- Able to run two external displays (with the lid closed, just in case that makes a difference!) at resolutions of no bigger than 1920x1200
- Windows OS

This would be used by members of our executive board who are looking for a model they can plug into a dock while in the office, and rely solely on the two external monitors (my cursory understanding is that the Macbook Air can do this currently, but we need a Windows solution for most of them). They can then just take it off the dock when they're looking to work off-site, and go from there.

From what I can tell, not a whole lot of laptops support two external monitors - but if I'm completely off the mark in that regard then that'll certainly make things easier - thanks!

I'm no expert, but maybe this has potential? http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/TAICHI_31/

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It seems the first Haswells are finally arriving in Switzerland and I'm looking at this HP ProBook 430 G1 (stat sheet is here). I can't really find any proper reviews of it, just some real quick overview pieces like this one. Are there any better reviews out there? Specifically, is the keyboard/trackpad decent? Obviously I'm not too hung up on the screen, I'll be using it mostly for typing and reading when I'm away from my desktop but I want VGA and Ethernet ports because I sometimes have to go into various offices to work.

Besides the keyboard/trackpad, my other question is about installing an SSD. All of the models shipping over here come with the 500GB 5400 rpm SMART SATA II HDD. I see in the stat sheet "The hard drive is mounted directly to the notebook frame, reducing the transmission of shock to the hard drive". Does this mean it's impossible for me to switch it? Does anyone know how hard it would be to do a clone and swap? And what size/model SSD I would need to buy? It seems like everything I need at a good price except for the flash drive.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What's the difference between the ASUS BX31LA ZENBOOK Prime and the ASUS UX31LA ZENBOOK Prime? What's the consensus on the Zenbooks anyway? Are they sturdy enough to get carried around in a bag with books and stuff every day?