Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'm about to order an Alienware 14 with the i7-4700MQ, 1080p display and GTX765M. Am I about to do a dumb thing? Should I get Win8? Is it still cheaper to buy the SSD I plan to put in and more RAM separately?

edit: yes I need a "gaming laptop" and I need it by the end of the month, so any other recommendations would need to be available within a few weeks.

does Dell normally do a 4th of July sale or something? am I dumb of I buy today?

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

You very probably are. What are you using it for? Do you absolutely need the quad core and GPU?
QUAKECON and "Yes."

Hadlock posted:

I guess I'll be seeing you at quakecon?
gently caress yes. No more 4loko, sadly.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DrDork posted:

If you absolutely need a "gaming laptop," that's probably one of the more decent ones, though I'd caution you against picking the 14" model.
I've had an Alienware m11x for a few years and enjoy the smaller size immensely for most of the time when I'm not gaming on it, which is basically all the time.

How is the 14" Razer Blade?

edit: apparently the blade has a not so hot screen at lower resolution, but it has actual battery life and look crazy much thinner than the Alienware. welp.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 2, 2013

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'm a dummy and didn't realize that the Razer Blade took a mSATA drive, so I have to return this 480gb SanDisk Extreme amd get an mSATA drive. However, I can't find many large (~500gb) mSATAs. What brands/models should I be looking for?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
gently caress, that is a lot money. i just discovered that this thing has two mSATA ports inside (allegedly), so I might just buy another 256gb. would it be possible to JBOD them?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sports posted:

I didn't know turd polish was that expensive.

All harsh realities aside, you'd be better off keeping a really big slow (lol slow mSATA like that exists...) SSD in one of the mSATA slots and a 32- or 64-GiB "bl33d1n9-3d93" mSATA drive for the OS itself, for quick boots and the like.
I've only used the SSD in this laptop and the Sandisk Extreme in my desktop. are there actually appreciable speed differences in SSDs? all of the ones I have used have just been "woah fast" to me, but I haven't busted out the stop watch yet

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Did you know that the Razer Blade 14" fails to POST when a USB stick is placed in any of the ports?

Did you ALSO know that the support line for this rather expensive laptop is closed on the weekends?

It's true!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hadlock posted:

Its not like you were gonna take this to another state for quakecon or something, relax!
this thing refuses to have win7 stalled on it. i even pulled out a USB cd-rom, but it keeps hanging on disk.sys

and of course it didn't come with a recovery disk, because what should I expect from a $2000 laptop?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sports posted:

The Razer Blade is poorly supported and for all intents and purposes is a Clevo in a mediocre case.
I'm quite pleased with the case and the hardware over all (minus a lackluster display), just not Win8 and the system rejecting all attempts at a Win7 install.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
looking at getting the new Razer Blade Stealth ultrabook. the standard screen is QHD 2560x1440 and for like $200 more there is a 4k display. do I really need all those pixels on a 12.5" screen? i'll be using it for CS coding classes and gaming a few times a year. also the battery life on the QHD is 2 hours longer. help me, sh/sc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how is the Gigabyte P34w v5? I need a sub 15" laptop that can play games and isn't made in Red China for a bro