Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

SoggyGravy posted:

If I am looking for a:

13-15" laptop similar to a MBA (in weight/power) with at least 3 hours of battery life under heavy use (running a game at normal settings or creo/wildfire/pro-e etc...) and a dedicated GPU (for many reasons including the programs I use mac is not really an option even in a virtual environment.) What would my best bet be? I would like to get a laptop soon but can wait another month or so if something that matches my criteria isn't out but around the corner. I am willing to spend up to ~1,000, I don't need some monster machine that can crank out crysis 3 but I do play a lot of dota 2 and the occasional console ported title (bioshock infinity for i.e.) and they don't seem to be resource hogs.

Was looking at a yoga but it pains me that it does not have haswell and I can't imagine they have the market cornered on that. If my post is not descriptive enough can you guys guide me on what additional information I would need to provide? I feel like I see lots of cool options and none have resonated with me as the perfect match. Also whats a good dedicated gpu card that is not a heat/power hog but will last for the next 2 yearsish?

Pretty much any laptop with a dedicated GPU is going to be a power hog and produce a lot of heat, in addition to needing huge batteries as posted above to last 3 hours under heavy use. You said that you were considering a yoga despite it not having a dedicated GPU, is there any other reason that you are not considering an MBA? I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but modern macs can run Windows natively and don't require any virtualization. And with haswell + the HD 5000 graphics it actually does a pretty good job of running 3d programs (I was playing Just Cause 2 earlier today on mid-high settings without a problem). I've been able to comfortably rest my MBA on my lap while running intensive programs with no problems with heat. The top near the F keys gets quite warm, but the bottom side seems to be well insulated from the heat.

If a dedicated GPU and tons of battery life is however necessary, the T430 is probably the way to go, but you'll need huge batteries that will add a decent amount of weight to it. On the bright side, it will be a lot cheaper than a MBA so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Spoiled posted:

I had a 13.3" Lenovo Ideapad Z360 for the last 2.5 years, and I was happy with it performance-wise. I'd like to buy a new laptop during the next 2 months and I'm ready to spend a bit more to get an even lighter model (ultrabook or something, I guess). I've been recommended Asus Zenbooks, which seem cool, but I don't know what other models I should look at.

I really have a hard-on for portability because I noticed that I carry it around with me a lot and I also move rather often. The hassle of synchronizing between machines puts me off of having a separate laptop and desktop, so I doubt I'm interested in that route.

I've also been told to get a Macbook Air because of the recent release and I do think they're slick, but when I looked at the website I nearly blacked out looking at the range of port adapters. I also imagined how annoying it'd be to RMA it when the battery starts to die. Maybe someone can summarize how they compare.

Turning down graphics options for any gaming is also totally fine with me. I was a bit miffed that I can't play Braid without lag on the Lenovo, though. An SSD around 256 GB would be perfect.

My spending limit is about 1200$. I'd be glad to hear what current and upcoming options could be.

If you still have a couple of months before you need to buy, I think you'd be well served waiting to see how all the haswell ultrabooks shape up. The Asus Zenbook was the other laptop that I would have considered over the MBA, but I think it still has a few months before it comes out. Downside is that because Asus does not have physical stores (and doesn't always have the greatest build quality), returning/repairing it could be a hassle. On the upside however, the Asus will have a nicer screen from the looks of it. I don't think anyone will be able to compare battery life until they're actually out.

The adapters for macs are stupid and are one of my biggest gripes with it. The new MBAs don't have glued batteries and the back is held on with screws, so it is user serviceable, and they're supposed to be fairly reliable, unlike the old ones that buldged. Otherwise, because there are physical stores, warranty work should be a bit easier. I'm not the largest fan of OSX, but I still find myself using it when all I want to do is browse the web or watch videos, as the scrolling seems to be handled much better than in windows 8. I also don't like the idea of having a touch screen on a laptop, I think it's silly and I don't want finger prints all over my screen.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Spoiled posted:

Woah, so you can replace the battery now? Insane. Can you upgrade RAM too? That makes it sound kind of bearable, actually, outside of the 30$ adapters.

Battery life isn't that big an issue for me as long as it can last 2-4 hours for meetings. I'm more concerned with weight personally. How heavy is the power supply on the macbook air? What about the adapters?

I guess the new Zenbook (Infinity?) you mentioned is supposed to come out Q3 2013. I'll be waiting for it to come out if I can.

Yeah, replacing the battery is something like 12 screws in the new MBA. The RAM however is still soldered, so what you order is what you're stuck with. The power supply for it is quite light, lighter than for most notebooks, in addition to having lighter cables (and the maglock connector is seriously one of the best things). The adapters I think are typically quite small (I don't have any so I cannot comment exactly, but the ones I've seen are small and light). The SSD will eventually be upgradable when new M.2 standard SSDs become available to consumers.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm looking for a laptop to take with me when I go on 3-4 week out of country business trips. Some places are nice, some not so nice so I stay in all night/weekend. Budget isn't so much a concern as size/weight/power/battery life.

How are Asus laptops? I've been considering getting this one after it comes out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSKLV3K/

Looks like Asus has finally figured out how to get low power modes to work even when there's a gsync display, so instead of having 2 1/2 hours of battery life it has 4 1/2 to 5, which is good for me. It also still weighs 5.4 lbs and is thin. I don't plan on playing games unless I'm at my hotel so power consumption during that time isn't a concern.

MSI/Gigabyte are releasing a similarly priced model but without gsync and a slightly lower 1070 sku, but I think I'd regret not getting a gsync display like my desktop. Screen tearing annoys the crap out of me.

Any other options I should consider?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Asus is fine. That looks like a current-gen refresh of the MaxQ Zephyrus, with its pop-out bottom panel and everything, although this has the keyboard and touchpad in the normal configuration. If the expense doesn't matter to you go for it. The only other consideration might be a Gigabyte Aero if performance and portability are priorities.

Thanks!