Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Are there any relatively small laptops (15" would be absolute max, and even then, I'd rather not...) that have decent screen resolution?

I currently use an MBP (pre-Retina) for work, and I've been debating going back to windows, but my must-haves are small size (I travel for work, so I'm literally carrying this every day), decent screen resolution (I'd like 1920x1080 at a minimum, Retina-ish would be nice too), a full-size keyboard (I have big hands), and decent performance.

On that last, I'm comfortable with upgrades, so if I need to throw memory and an SSD in it, that's no problem.

I'm looking at upgrading in the next ... maybe 6 months or so? I'm kind of trying to put it off as long as possible ... I've had this MBP since 2011, and it's still largely adequate, I just find myself wishing for more screen size.

Budget isn't much of an issue ... I'd spend 2k for the right laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GrizzlyCow posted:

Anything besides the small screen that's wrong with it? Also, what is the screen size of your MBP? Throwing in a SSD does wonders to speed up an older computer, but if you're not having performance issues, then it is not absolutely necessary.

What are you planning to use your laptop for?

Also "full-sized"? Do you mean that as opposed to tenkeyless or smaller keys?

If you're wanting something on the lighter side, you'll be wanting a Haswell-based laptop. Otherwise, you should wait until Lenovo's new Haswell Thinkpads are released. They should be showing up soon.
It's a 13" MBP, 1280x800 resolution.

I use it primarily for work, which means it gets dualbooted to windows, but other than that, just runs email/web-browsing/document editing.

The current PC is plenty fast, it just bothers me that the screen resolution is so low.

Full size keyboard meaning, simply put, "Mac like". I've used a lot of smaller PC laptops, and they all seem to have very tightly spaced keys. No desire/need for a 10key, but I need to be able to comfortably type.

I'll check out that samsung.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DrDork posted:

Is there any reason you'd look down on the T440s, once it's released in the near future? 1920x1080 IPS, 14", under 4lbs, good performance (on paper, anyhow), and likely to be more durable than almost any other comparable laptop, especially at $1000 or so?
That sounds pretty amazing.

So I'll wait until Haswells hit the market, then look at the Ativ, T440, and MBP iterations.

Thanks, guys!

(The Ativ looks nice, but I think in this case because I'm not desperate to upgrade, I'll wait until more options come out and see what I like.)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Any clue when it will actually be available? Everything I can find says it's announced but gives no estimate when I can actually buy one ... or what a fully specc'd model might cost.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, as I looked through the specs, that turned me off the Aitv.