Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So according to one of the images in the OP, it looks like the GT3e isn't go to make way its make into ultraportable notebooks, right? Like, we won't be seeing GT3e graphics in a MacBook Air style chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sports posted:

I'd have to recommend against Sony Vaio: their laptops are priced similarly to Apple product, but quality wise are far behind Apple standard.

It's the thing where if it's Sony, people must think it's high end. Brand recognition and what not; that's what they're running at. Shame they can't back it up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Do they have GT3 benchmarks out yet? I want to see how it compares to the GT3e, because that Zenbook is pure sex.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

How are they with printer support? My parents use a HP printer. If they are just the same as Windows, then that is a totally legit suggestion.

Use Google Cloud Print with the Chromebook for wireless printing :) http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

:eyepop: We are truly in the future, huh? I didn't even know this existed. Thanks! This is perfect. Still looking for other suggestions, but the Chromebook one is totally viable now.

If battery life isn't that big of a concern, Acer updated their $199 C7 Chromebook to include an SSD now. The battery is rated at 4 hours, compared to the Samsung Series 3's 6.5 hours, but the C7 is powered by an Intel Celeron processor as opposed to an Exynos (ARM) CPU.

Though, as Butt Savage (heh) mentioned, Samsung is due to refresh their Series 3 Chromebook (according to a couple blogs). If you want to take a look at the C7 with the SSD, Best Buy has them in stock now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+11.6%26%2334%3B+Chromebook+-+2GB+Memory+-+16GB+Solid+State+Drive/8850098.p?id=1218914355314&skuId=8850098

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HP/Google announced a $299 Haswell powered Chromebook earlier today. Say what... http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4720470/hps-colorful-chromebook-14-costs-299-this-holiday-season

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is it weird that even though I have a MacBook Air, I still want one of the HP Chromebooks? The orange one looks amazing. Do any of you own a Chromebook and a MacBook, but find yourself using the Chromebook more?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wanted to like HP's Chromebook 14 (that orange colored one looks so sweet), but after perusing the web for more info, I found out it's 4lbs and has a 1366x768 14" display. Ugh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

New Google/HP Chromebook

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/hp-chromebook-11/

Doesn't look like it's much different than the current one in tech specs.

My MacBook Air doesn't even have an IPS display :( I really like the design of that Chromebook though. Much better than the 4 pound Chromebook 14. Trying to give myself a reason to pick one up. Someone convince me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Google just announced two new Chromebooks, both $150 from two Chinese brands I've never heard of before. Asus has a new $179 Chromebook and also a Yoga style flip over convertible Chromebook for $250.

Also apparently now they have a Chromecast format/looking chromebook device called the Chromebit for $100 that plugs directly in to your TVs HDMI port and it's about the size of a stick of gum.

Apparently most if not all of these new models use the Rockchip A12/A17 ARM CPU (no Intel, no x86 compatibility) but packs a pretty solid GPU that can decode more than one 1080p video steam at once in real time.

I'm curious to see the benchmarks of that Rockchip Cortex-A17 to see how it stacks up against current-gen Celeron based Chromebooks. Don't know why anyone would pick the Haier or Hisense Rockchip based Chromebook when the Asus one is only $20 more; those two should have been priced at $99 or $129.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hadlock posted:

There are no benchmarks published yet, but the initial reviews said, "faster than some low end Chromebooks".

I'm thinking about ordering one to keep on top of work email at the office. 10 hour battery life is pretty tempting at $150. We just retired our blackberries at work and so everyone is transitioning to BYOD to keep on top of email and production alerts, and a chromebook at $150 with a keyboard is ideal. Senior management has mostly transitioned to personal iPad minis with laptop style keyboard covers.

I had a Dell Chromebook 11 that I sold to a family member and realized I missed the convenience of having a beater machine to lug around when I'm not working. If the Haier Chromebook does achieve 10 hours on battery, then for $150 that's a pretty good deal. I expect the Asus C201 to reach or exceed that rated battery life though, since it's predecessor (the C200 powered by a Celeron N2830) had a rated battery life of 11 hours. I'll wait for reviews, but my guess is that the Asus' overall build quality would be worth the $20 premium.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Another cool bit that was likely missed yesterday regarding Chromebooks is all developers can now port/test their apps to work in a Chrome OS environment. http://www.omgchrome.com/google-launch-port-android-app-to-chrome/

[edit]
The Asus C201 Chromebook is rated for 13 hours of battery life according to Google: http://www.google.com/chromebook/find/

[edit 2]
Another Rockchip A17 based Chromebook with 4GB of RAM is available for pre-order from Oregon based PC maker CTL for $209: http://ctl.net/ctl-j4-chromebook-for-education I've no idea if their products are good are not, but I like the look of that J4; no frills design akin to the Cr-48 is always solid in my book. And from personal experience, Chrome OS feels more breezy on 4GB of ram compared to device with only 2GB. $209 for a 4GB Chromebook is a sweet price since other Chrome OS devices with 4GB of RAM hover around the $300 mark. Anandtech authored up an artcle on the CTL J4 as well: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9123/ctl-launches-new-chromebook-for-education

The Asus C201 still looks to be the lighest, longest lasting Rockchip based Chromebook. It also looks like it charges via USB too. I don't see a DC looking charging port in the press photos.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 2, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I really really hope MS is on top of porting their excellent Android RDP client to chrome. That would make these things the perfect support machine.

I've been using Chrome Remote Desktop without any issues. How does that compare to Microsoft's Android RDP app?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Acer CB3 11 Chromebook is on sale for $129.99 at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11...7&skuId=8610161

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I ended up ordering an acre chrome book from Amazon which seems to be easy to ubuntuize. It's has 4g ram and 32g ssd. I'm not super worried about graphics as long as I can Netflix without too much tearing I'll be happy

You might not even need to install Ubuntu. When you jump into Chrome OS you'd be surprised at how efficient it is for most things. Netflix being one of them :) There's a Netflix "app" in the Chrome Web Store that you can pin to your Chrome OS shelf that also gives you the option to run Netflix in it's own separate window.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Planning to install "alongside" with a handy shortcut key to switch between them. I'm a Rails dev and need to get some work done so running Ubuntu isn't really an option if I'm not running OS X.

I didn't realize dual-booting on a Chromebook was an option, haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hace posted:

If they want a low budget tell them to rethink the touchscreen part.

Also a chromebook might be in their future.

HP's 13" Stream has a touchscreen version. Goes for about $300 I think.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pipebomb posted:

Hey guys. I bought a used Chromebook and quite like it for using at work, remoting home, etc. etc.

I want to get a new one though...bigger screen, better specs. If I get a new one, does it automatically pick up my settings and extensions and everything from the old one? When I get rid of the old, do I just run the Powerwash and ship it off to its new home?

Once you log in with your Google account on the new Chromebook, it'll should sync everything that was on the old one. Powerwash is the equivalent to a factory reset. So yeah, after you verified that everything successfully synced from the old Chromebook to the new one, just powerwash it, pack it, and sell it :) If you're looking for a Chromebook with the solid display, the 13" Toshiba Chromebook 2 with the 1080p IPS display is your best bet other than the Pixel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brennanite posted:

Yeah, let's talk Chromebooks, because I've had mine for 1 day and it's about to go out the window. All I want the drat thing to do is allow me to write, but this is impossible as Google Docs has a 2-3 sec auto-save lag after EVERY character and Office Online refuses to open the file I need to work on. I'm praying that there's an easy fix that someone here knows or I'm shipping it back and buying a cheap laptop.

What Chromebook do you have? My general rule when recommending Chromebooks is to get one with an Intel chip. The Tegra/ARM Chromebooks aren't all that great imo, but I'm hoping those RockChip ones change my mind. I had a Dell Chromebook 11 that was a solid secondary machine.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 21, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

So I take that as...no...?

If you're really on a super tight budget, and really only need the laptop for school, the HP Stream 11 or the Asus X205 are both good options around the $200 mark.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Wynand posted:

So... I've tried this with the existing lovely laptop she is already using and it's really not working well at all. Have any of you actually been using this for long gaming sessions of action/twitch games? Over wireless? The input lag was considerable and I'd get constant screen tearing. Got me motion sick pretty quick.

I figured maybe the network quality was to balme but even with a wired connection into the same router as the source didn't make much of a difference. I think it may actually be video encoding or decoding lagging behind. Our video cards are maybe 3 or so years old, could it be they just can't handle rendering and HD broadcasting at the same time? Or is there some minimal GPU support (or CPU feature) requried to make decoding viable? Either way, what we have now isn't working - that's for sure :/

Have you tried messing with the Steam in-home streaming settings? When I had a Core i3-4330/Radeon 7850, I was able to stream games just fine to whatever client PC over WiFi, even to lower end bay trail based devices like the Asus X205. From what I remember, I capped the bitrate to 10 or 15Mbps and locked the res at 720p on the X205. My router isn't anything to write home about either, it's some Wireless N router made by TP-Link running Gargoyle. I think it's the N600.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dissss posted:

Streaming doesn't work well at all for twitch games even on a wired network.

Its good for stuff that runs at a Skyrim ish pace

Twitch games = FPS or fighting games? Because if so, yeah. No way I'd play something like CSGO or USF4 over Steam streaming. I use it to play poo poo like Sonic all-star racing, Bastion/Transistor, Guild Wars 2, etc.

[edit] If anyone was in the market for a super rugged 11.6" Chromebook, Amazon currently has Dell's 2015 Chromebook 11 model on sale for $189.99 (reg. price is $249.99 at Dell.com). http://www.amazon.com/Dell-CRM3120-...Inch+Chromebook. I just ordered one as I've been missing having a secondary Chromebook to lug around when I'm not working.

More info here: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/chromebook-11-3120/pd?~ck=anav and here's a review from techradar: http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/dell-chromebook-11-2015-1284386/review

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 23, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Scorchy posted:

I'd been eyeing an Acer C720 to put Ubuntu on it and haul around as a secondary work computer, just for command line stuff and light web development, but Acer's come out with a newer model C740 for the same price. Sounds like it's in rarer supply and had some driver issues though, anyone have any experience with it?

Wouldn't it be easier just to get an HP Stream 11 or Asus X205 if you want to put Ubuntu on it?

[edit] Quick search shows the X205 has some issues running Ubuntu apparently.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Truga posted:

I did it. I bought a chomebook pixel.

The 3:2 screen is so stupidly good. I'm never going back to a god drat 16:9 laptop.

I wish Google would make an 11" Pixel :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

butt dickus posted:

It's the same width as the 11" Air and a little over an inch deeper.

Oh, didn't realize it had a similar footprint to the 11" Air. poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The ASUS C201 Chromebook with the new Rockchip processor is available on Amazon now. Says it has up to 13 hours of battery life, which is nice for a $169 laptop. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Chromebook-C201PA-DS01-11-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00VQP3DNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430509707&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+C201

The screen on the 2015 Dell Chromebook 11 I ordered is picked up is pretty bad, so hopefully some reviews for the C201 show up soon to compare.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I wouldn't count on it; there have been exactly four Chromebooks with decent screens (the old HP11, the Toshiba 2 13", and both Pixels). Jury still seems to be out on the Acer 15.

Depending on how much you spend on the Dell, the Toshiba might only be another $50 or so, and is well worth it.

I got the Dell on sale for $190. I personally wouldn't spend over $300 on a Chromebook (the Pixel is the one exception). I also prefer the 11.6" size. If Toshiba made an 11.6" version of their Full HD Chromebook 2, I'd likely be all over that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've honestly gotten used to just hitting the windows key and typing away the name of a program to open it. Start Menu or Star Screen, makes no difference to me these days.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just want to say I was setting up an HP Stream 11 for my sister-in-law that I got for about $190 with a student discount (also came with $25 Windows Store gift card and 1-year sub to Office 365) and the screen on it is significantly better than the one on the 2015 Dell Chromebook. Crazy. I was really surprised to see that Windows 8.1 is super snappy on it too. If it came in a matte black color, I'd probably get one over a Chromebook.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Above Our Own posted:

What are the sexiest looking chromebooks? I'm looking for small form factor, ultra minimal, and a great display.

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 looks like a 13" MacBook Air but it has a 1080p IPS display and runs a fanless bay trail Celeron. It's arguably the best Chromebook you can buy next to the Pixel. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-13-3-chromebook-2-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-16gb-solid-state-drive-silver/8790147.p?id=1219370473818&

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone gotten ahold of one of those new Rockchip powered Chromebooks for $160 $150 yet? No matter how junk it is, a laptop's a laptop's a laptop....especially with 12 hours claimed battery life.

There are some reviews online. Here's one for the Haier you linked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWfiUFEIPnE

I was fortunately given a C720 for free today so I no longer need to buy the ASUS RockChip Chromebook.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

My dad's looking for a cheap portable computer (not bigger than 13", preferably around 11"), running Windows (mainly for Web/Word/Excel/Skype). I'd like to keep it under $300.

Bonus points if its available in-store at Best Buy.

I'd get him a Chromebook but those don't do Word/Excel/Skype and 11" MBAs are probably out of his price-range. Suggestions?

HP Stream 11 or Asus X205. Both are under $200 before tax.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This is a good recommendation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sarehu posted:

I was in a mall with an Apple Store so I tried the 12" MacBook keyboard. It was... a suboptimal typing experience. The machine is also slow -- but I hear it'd run faster if you put Windows on it. Unless you're carrying it in a purse, I'd recommend getting something a bit bigger for school.

I'd easily recommend a 13" Air over the new MacBook. No retina screen, but at least it's not gimped as gently caress and it has more ports.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minidust posted:

I wanna thank people here for the informative posts, and especially the OP. I pulled the trigger and ordered Thinkpad Yoga 15 last night!

And I just realized that my desktop at work wasn't even doing 1080p... the screen just felt so much roomier than my current laptop that I assumed it was "full HD." But nope, I checked this morning and it caps off at 1600x900. So this new laptop will actually be my first taste of 1920x1080 computing... and I've accidentally created a new preferred work environment. :) And it's a MASSIVE upgrade to my "home" computer, and kinda my first tablet too. Plus I'll dabble around in some games from the current decade. Very excited! :rock: Thanks again thread.

drat, I can only imagine how much your mind would be blown at the sight of a 2560x1440 monitor.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I need something like a chromebook that's only purpose will essentially be to be a vaguely movable internet machine that sits at my desk to visit sites that we can't have accessible on company networks (webmail, etc). Will the cheapest chromebook I can find do, or are there ones that actually suck at even that most basic of tasks?

Do you give a poo poo about the display? If not, go rock bottom and get either the Hisense or Haier Chromebook for $150. If you don't want to buy those lower-tier brands, pay the $20 premium and get the Asus Chromebook C201. All 3 will browse the web just fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

evilweasel posted:

The C201 was an excellent choice, thanks.

Glad it worked out! :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My brother had asked what laptop he should be looking at with a budget of $600. He's going to be using it to edit video and photos on site (typically at an outdoor firing range, he and my cousin have gotten into competitive shooting). Would the T-series still be recommended? Been scouring Lenovo outlet but haven't found anything yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

I wonder if you'll be able to upgrade the GPU in the future by buying the keyboard/GPU of Surface Book 2 and using the same screen as SB1. That would be a killer option if you don't mind keeping the same CPU.

Could there be a third party market? I wonder if it's possible for the likes of ASUS, MSI, EVGA etc to come out with a Surface Book keyboard that has a beefier battery and GPU to upgrade with eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sarehu posted:

Oh boy the screen is 3:2. Not quite as tall as a 15.6" 16:9.

Not that I'd want this. Glossy screen, no trackpad buttons, where's the optical drive.

3:2 aspect ratio is way better for productivity imo, especially at 3000x2000 :allears:

What do you need trackpad buttons for? Get a USB optical drive because lol who still uses optical media :haw:

Aphrodite posted:

That's completely closed.

Way to pick a skewed image of poor quailty. Sans the small gap of space, it looks like any other wedge shaped laptop when closed.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 6, 2015