Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

YARRRR! Where be the gray matter up in this piece, son?
I'm looking at buying a MacBook Pro. While I can use OSX, I've never owned a mac before so I was hoping you guys might weigh in with a bit of advice. I considered a thinkpad after reading the recommendations in the last thread but after a bit of an investigation, it seems that their pricing here in NZ is relatively high and not subject to any of the special discounts available in US.

I'm looking at a 13inch retina MBP refurb. I believe the entry-level model will be sufficient for what I require from a laptop but I'm wondering what else I should be considering since it will be my first mac. Should I be waiting until a new range is released in hopes of a price drop or should I just go out and buy one when I'm ready?

Also, what does the release of Haswell mean for someone considering a mac? Is it irrelevant or should I be considering the thinkpads again?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

Thanks for the info. I don't need a new laptop right this minute but I do need one really soon. My well-traveled Asus 1201n is on it's last legs... Regularly overheating while playing videos, crashes due to hardware failure, terrible performance at doing anything. I would like to think that waiting a few weeks will make a difference for me and I'll stick it out just to see what is announced at WWDC but being in New Zealand, the benefits of new tech releases in the States have a relatively slow trickle-down effect to us.

Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

Tossing up between a 13" rMBP or one of the new 13" MacBook Airs. Can anyone weigh in with some advice or things I should be considering?