Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

roomforthetuna posted:

I like a bed-laptop myself, but just in case it's a better idea for your use-case, have you considered using a desktop, a wall-mount monitor arm and a wired keyboard/mouse/gamepad?

Yeah, playing games (especially new ones) is gonna involve a lot of heat, which means the keyboard might be unpleasantly warm, the fans will be cranked and she might have hot air in her face. The fan noise alone will probably mean she needs to wear headphones the whole time, it's not gonna be the best experience. Especially if her eyesight isn't great and she needs to get close to the screen

If you don't have this ^^^ setup with the arm (although I'd go with wireless peripherals all the way) and want a laptop that can go anywhere, it still might be worth making a gaming PC and connecting to it through a basic laptop, through something like Steam In-Home Streaming. That way the PC is doing all the work, the laptop runs nice and quiet and can be whatever spec you want. Although it's less likely to look :pcgaming: if it's thin and light. Plus it's cheaper to have a lot of storage for massive modern games in a PC instead of worrying about space on a laptop

(I've used a Steam Link like this and it's great so long as your connection is decent, obviously using Ethernet cables is better but the laptop might be on WiFi instead, so that needs a good signal. But there can be occasional issues where you need to sort something out on the host pc, like click something or maximise a window, which would be a problem if someone can't physically get to it. It's rare but it's not perfect, so it needs mentioning)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hadlock posted:

Of course, as with Android phones, while some devices get features backported, you generally need to upgrade to a latest device to get the new features.

:chloe:

Didn't realise that was a thing with Chromebooks. The worst feature of phones... now on your laptop!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sure they're not just being snapped up as soon as they're listed? If you know when inventory tends to get added, that's your best chance, but you might need to be quick

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I did that with Selenium on the Dell outlet :shobon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

henpod posted:

Hey guys,

Another annoying 'help' post here. Based in the UK and confused by all the black friday poo poo going on. I will buy something, but want to make sure it's right...

Had a desktop forever but need a laptop now as I will be doing freelance work. Basically, I want something that looks and feels good / slim (small bezels a big bonus), but isn't necessarily a powerhouse. Obviously, not something that will be obsolete in a year or two, but more than capable of normal windows poo poo, having multiple things open, playing videos and all the normal stuff, with Microsoft office use. Ideally 500 pounds, but can stretch to 600 for something special.

I won't be gaming or doing heavy editing / processing, but just want something that looks and feels great. For example, what do you guys think about this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HJHGDP2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

Thanks a lot!

Dunno about recommendations, but there's a review of that model (with a slightly different SKU - dunno about that Optane stuff) here if that helps!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh so it's 4GB of RAM then, that is Not Too Good

that's cheeky as hell because all the listings say 16GB, then in the deets it says "contains 16 GB of Intel's Optane memory *cough* and 4GB of RAM"

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 21, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Shorely if you're making games you need to be able to run them. So whatever the "recommended specs" of your game are, which is gonna depend on what you're actually doing in Unity or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

PSA: If you click the battery icon in Windows 10 and you have the Power Mode slider (think you need to be on a Balanced power plan to get it), you probably don't want it on Best Performance. I noticed my CPU was constantly running at cranked turbo speeds and never downclocking, and the fans kept coming on low all the drat time even when I'm hardly doing anything

Anyhow I put it on Better Performance (the middle one) and suddenly it downclocks when it can and runs cooler. If I actually do something intensive it ramps back up like it should, so it's not being limited, just not pegged to max all the drat time. Now everything is very peaceful

namaste