Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cream_Filling posted:

You left off the Thinkpad X230t, which certainly has the longest track record and includes digitizer support.

That also has the singular, central hinge that I would want to avoid. (I could be wrong, maybe it's ultra-durable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

PiCroft posted:

Hey folks, I'd like to ask what recommendations people have for a replacement laptop? I'm looking into things like the Surface Pro because I like the idea of a laptop that I can carry and use like a pad, but I'm not really sure if its any good. For reference, I'd like it to be powerful enough to play modern games for a few hours but obviously not necessarily at full graphical settings.

We've been discussing laptop/tablet hybrids the last few pages now. I wrote about my new XPS 12, and Goober Peas wrote about the Sony Vaio Duo.

What exactly do you mean by 'modern games'? You won't be able to play Battlefield 3 on a Surface Pro.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

CharlesM posted:

Have anything more than an anecdote...?

I'm setting up a Vaio Pro 13 for my mom. So far it seems nice.

It was a really poor anecdote. Guess what? Any computer, from any manufacturer, can fail really quickly. I've had to send out repairs on Dells that were less than a week old. Should that mean Dell sucks? If so, then you're setting standards that nobody can reach. The same can happen to Apple, Sony, and everyone else.

Instead, I would suggest you see what the first post in the thread says about Sony:

quote:

Sony

Sony makes excellent laptops with great screens, but are plauged by terrible driver support. Whatever laptop you buy from sony will get driver support for 6 months, after which point you'll be trapped with outdated drivers and no chance for updates.

And then maybe you can ask here if this is still the case, as that info might have become outdated.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Keep in mind, the Dell Outlet price might be additionally discounted to clear out the old stock.

I think it's worth it to get the newer model. Future-proof your purchase as much as you can. Haswell makes huge strides for portable systems.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

csidle posted:

Does anyone have experience with laptops that only have 128 gigs of SSD space and nothing else? I'm helping my sister pick out a computer for university, and one of the candidates is a Lenovo that has but 128 gigs of SSD. At first I figured it wasn't enough to use for a primary computer, but now I'm wondering if it might be alright if she makes good use of an external hard drive for storage. She's got a 1tb external drive that she has a bunch of stuff on, where she could store what doesn't need to be on the computer all the time. Besides school, she's also going to use the computer for photoshop and toying around with photography, which is another concern of mine. I don't know if photoshop files are gonna take up too much space for 128 gigs. So the question is if 128 gigabytes is enough for school stuff, a little bit of photoshop and photos, and music, provided that an external hard drive of 1 tb is used for storage?

My new XPS 12 has a 128 SSD. After the partitions that come with the system, I have about 98GB of total space on the drive.

It all depends what you're going to put on the drive.

* Music library? That'll eat up a large amount.

* Video library? Even worse.

* Video games? If you only have one or two AAA titles installed at a time, you'll be okay.

I think 128GB will be enough for me. I don't expect a need of larger storage.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just tested something out on my Haswell XPS 12 that some of you kids might be interested in. It's not a detailed benchmark, but it looks promising.

As a reminder, the resources involved: Intel Core i5-4200 with Intel HD 4400 and 4GB of memory.

Dolphin GC/Wii emulator, Wind Waker title screen
1920x1080 resolution, internal emulation emulation at 2x native (1280x1056)
Steady 30FPS

Awww yeah motherbitchezzz, portable GameCube/Wii machiiiiine~

Honestly, I didn't realize this emulator would run so well on an i5 laptop. I thought the low wattage would at least choke up the FPS a little. But from what I'm seeing, it looks silky smooth. (This emulator is far more CPU intensive than GPU.)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

He does work for Dell.

But I do promise that I'm coming at this in good faith. If there is something wrong, I'd be letting you know. I work in tech support. I get nothing in selling Dell computers, especially models like the XPS, which I actually never work on. (I handle the Precision workstation systems.)

What don't I like about the XPS 12?

* It's heavy. Don't mistake its ability to go into a tablet mode meaning that you can use it just like an iPad. The iPad is under a pound. The XPS 12 is about 3.33 pounds. It's a pretty significant difference. I'm okay with it. It's something you have to be willing to sacrifice to get a system that does both laptop and tablet.

Compared to a laptop, the bulk is great. There are lighter laptops, sure, but it's still good. But compared to a tablet, like an iPad or Galaxy? It's a gigantic hulk. Much bigger than a Surface too, although the Surface is a bit on the heavier side for tablets too.

* It has a bug with the Intel Rapid Boot, which is supposed to be a strong feature for a Windows 8 machine. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

* The price is going to be much for a lot of people. I lucked out thanks to working here, and got a bonus $200 off. That makes it a lot easier to swallow. But for everyone else, you might be able to find a comparable system that even has a feature this one doesn't have, like a digitizer.

It boils down to what you want out of your system. The XPS 12 is like... 60% laptop, 40% tablet. The Surface Pro is more 25% laptop, 75% tablet. More portable, much more portable.

My ultimate argument is that, if you're looking for a convertible laptop, the XPS 12 is going to be one of your best options. Especially right at this moment.. is it the only one with Haswell so far? But that said, this is a niche product. There are better laptops, and there are better tablets. The only reason you want this system is if you want both in one device. (And you'd prefer a real keyboard. And you'd give up having a heavier unit for a larger, high resolution screen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hadlock posted:

Crossposting this from the Steam thread

Oh dammit, are you kidding me?! I'm doing something just like this, but I didn't think to use Steam Big Picture as a front-end for emulators. I'm creating Windows 8 tiles using OblyTile. I've already made these tiles for NES, SNES, N64, PSX, GEN, SCD, GB, and GBC! I've made over a hundred tiles, maybe two hundred! Dammit!

Oh well, maybe my way works better. Can you do custom icons for the Steam stuff? I can't see the pictures of it at work right now. Plus, who knows if all these emulators would be compatible with Steam...