Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
I quite liked the psudo mechanical looking keyboard on my thinkpad W520. Are the new apple style key-in-body keyboards on the thinkpads better/worse than those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Bob Morales posted:

Check the reviews - they made a big stink when that keyboard first came out but it's supposedly very, very similar mechanics underneath

I found this: http://blog.lenovo.com/products/why-you-should-give-in-to-the-new-thinkpad-keyboard and it looks very promising, so i'm far less concerned about it now. I do want to wait to see what Haswell offerings they produce.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Weinertron posted:

I could swear that the Macbook Air i7 is a dual-core, though. Dual-core i5 vs dual-core i7 is mostly a wash, except for small hyperthreading gains. Aren't the majority of mobile i7 CPUs dual core? It has to have a Q in the CPU name, like you said.

The majority of laptop i7s are dual core, and most ultrabooks only use those ones. However, the poster above is correct that the Ivy bridge 3610QM+ and Haswell 4700HQ+ are true quad core but all the ultrabooks i've seen with those are big and ugly.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
How does the X1 fare against the X230. The x1 looks like it has a much sleeker form factor, but is it a pile of poo poo?

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
I wish Lenovo would hurry up and release some Haswell x-series laptops. I'm going to be waiting until Christmas for that though, aren't I?

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Hadlock posted:

3x3 ultimate-n owns bones, at $25 upgrade it's probably the single most useful upgrade you can get on any laptop, period. If you can't get online, about 90% of your laptop's usefulness drops off a cliff. Dollar for dollar it's invaluable. You can access gmail just as fast on an i3 vs an i5, but if you can't connect to the wifi at the airport you can't read your email.

As I understand it, the difference between 2x2 and 3x3 is not a greater ability to connect to access points, rather the 3x3 can leverage a higher throughput through access points which allow 3x3 connections (ie: it doesn't increase your range or ability to connect). You're hardly likely to come close to hitting that throughput on any public wifi connections.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

shrughes posted:

No, you do get better range and reception with the 3x3. AnandTech testing and goon testing and goon anecdotes confirm this.

Umm, can you post the links to this testing you refer to? I'll pass on the anecdotes.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

shrughes posted:

You can do the google search yourself.

oh you're one of those people who assert statements of fact but expect the recipient to substantiate them.

I'm not even saying you are wrong but a google search for anandtech 3x3 range test turns up nothing that appears to support what you've said, and the literature I've seen only discusses reliability in respect of MIMO vs non-MIMO tech. Nothing that says that 3x3 over 2x2 is "the single most useful upgrade you can get on any laptop, period." Especially when alternative, 2x2 is MIMO tech, and going with the 3x3 costs you the utility of a webcam.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

shrughes posted:

The first Google search I tried found a relevant AnandTech article. I already told you what should be convincing evidence. If you think I made up the AnandTech article or the other goon measurements, I don't really care to work harder to convince you.

1. Then post a link to the article. 2. I don't think you made it up, but perhaps you read it inaccurately or made assumptions the article did not make. Maybe I just can't find the article.

quote:

Edit: Also, I am one of those people. I am not here to "win" conversations. Please see forzan's razor.
It's not a matter of "winning" a conversatoin. I am going to buy a laptop at some near point in the future. It will likely be a lenovo x-series which gives you the option to choose between a webcam and 3x3. I was interested when you said it's the single best upgrade one can get - I thought perhaps I could have misunderstood the technology and was interested to see what information you relied upon. I presume that some people reading the thread might be in the same boat. Accuracy on this point is valuable information. Inaccuracy is liable to cost people utility and money. It is completely valid to challenge statements of fact in a *discussion* forum if you suspect they might be inaccurate. You are equally free to throw your hands up and leave the thread when your assertions are challenged but really makes me wonder why you would bother making the statements in the first place.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
Well that was the post which I initially challenged on the 3x3 point.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Dauher posted:

Follow up question - doing some reading about Asus laptops and reviews keep mentioning trackpad "issues" which are rather ominous and unexplained, yet consistently seem to appear. They could be old reviews as no professional reviews mention it at all so my theory is its something to do with software thats been resolved... correct? What is the issues with the track pad and have they been resolved?

my UX32VD trackpad worked okay, although toggling it on and off sometimes required me to kill the touchpad process and restart it. The laptop itself, however, stopped working after about 4 months.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

GrizzlyCow posted:

AnandTech Review

The review is about Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule 4th and 5th generation, but it also includes information on 3x3 versus 2x2. They used a Lenovo with the Centrino N Ultimate and a Mac Book Pro with a different 3x3 MIMO chip versus a Mac Book Pro with only 2x2.

AnandTech Killer-N Review

It is about Bigfoot's Killer N 3x3 MIMO chip but includes Intel's Centrino N Ultimate.

AnandTech Joys of 802.11ac WiFi

It doesn't have the Centrino N Ultimate in it, but it does have 2x2 N, 3x3 N, and 2x2 AC devices in the benchmark. I think.

On another note, are Mythologic laptops any good?

The last link was the one that generally came up and measures throughput, not range (even though you might be able to imply the latter by ascertaining the throughput falloff between their two tests.) Given that the tests were not designed for such, I was wary to conclude anything. The airport extreme tests were sort of difficult to translate to real world results since they only show an average 3% dbm improvement in the 3x3 over 2x2 cards - I haven't a clue how a DBm difference translates to connectivity improvements, and the other results don't seem to substantiate that (remember, i'm ignoring throughput.)

The bigfoot review is more interesting. I didn't look through it before since I wouldn't have expected it to contain a generalised 3x3 to 2x2 test (it doesn't really, but it includes a 3x3 card amongst a bunch of 2x2s.) I'm not sure what to make of the results. The Netgear 2.4Ghz test shows a massive advantage for the 3x3 card. The other tests show only a very small improvement over the next best 2x2 card - in particular once you hit 5Ghz it seems less of a difference.

Theoretically, 3x3 should allow for the signal to be increased by around 50% odd using spatial diversity. I'm still on the fence as to whether that's worth giving up a webcam - which I will practically never use but be very annoyed if I am ever in a situation where I need a quick skype and don't have my ipad around. That being said, considering how utterly awful hotel wifi connections usually are, perhaps even a marginal increase on the 2.4Ghz band is worth it. Are there any other more comprehensive 2x2 vs 3x3 range/reliability tests around (I've not been able to find anything specifically targeted at that comparison.)

Does anyone know how the intel cards balance between spatial diversity (mimo signal amplification) and spatial multiplexing (mimo throughput increase)? You can't really have both happening at the same time on a 2x2 (or even 3x3). Does the intel card automatically focus on SM when it's available and the signal to noise ratio is good, switching to SD when the ratio is poor?

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 9, 2013

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
My ASUS zenbook ux32vd laptop stopped working about 4 months after purchasing it. It would refuse to turn on, when it did turn on the wifi would not detect networks, and it was heating up to high temperatures for no apparent reason.

Anyways, I called in to RMA it. Trip report in brief:
a. I never registered the thing after buying it for warranty, this didn't matter they still accepted it;
b. I RMA'ed it in the UK after purchasing in Canada, they said the warranty was international so no problem;
c. Within 2 days a dude showed up at my house to collect it;
d. 4 days later it was sent back to me in working order. It could have taken longer but the local repair contractor had a new main board in stock.

All in all it was a reasonably smooth experience. Was surprised, I was expecting it to be much more difficult.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Cacator posted:

I just picked up an Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A yesterday for $500 off which seemed like a pretty good deal. Only drawbacks are that it has 4 GB of RAM and a 3rd gen i7, seeing as how I was comparing it to the Sony VAIO Pro which had a Haswell i5 and 8GB (and light as gently caress carbon fibre body). But I figured the 256 GB SSD instead of 128 was a bigger draw and I still use my desktop regularly for gaming/video editing and such. Overall, it was slightly cheaper than the Sony. Was this the right decision? Aside from the occasionally finnicky touchpad (is there any way to adjust it), I'm enjoying the device.

you can install an 8 gig CL 11 chip into it. It will take it up to 10 gigs. The chipset should dual channel the first 2 gigs or so and the remaining 8 will be single channel but still better than just 4. Installing the RAM is fairly easy if you have a Torx T5 screwdriver.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think this is right. The UX32VD has a ram slot, the UX31A does not.

oh wierd. I was going by this: http://www.crucial.com/uk/upgrade/ASUS-memory/ASUS+Notebooks/ZENBOOK+UX32A-upgrades.html which offers a guarantee, but ASUS' site says up to 4...

EDIT: oh that's the 32A. I wish model numbers were a bit more conspicuous. There hasn't been 32 zenbook iterations.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
The Lenovo x240's highest CPU option seems to be an i7 4600U (which appears to use the HD 4400 graphics with 20 exec units). Does that mean it has lower graphics performance than the MBA which has HD Graphics 5000 (40 ex units)?

I realise this form factor isn't exactly targeted at gaming of any sort, but it seems a bit disappointing that the MBA would beat a newer offering.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
wish they had foregone the DVD drive on the 440p for something more useful (I consider empty space more useful.) Wonder what effect the bigger CPUs have on battery life.

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 31, 2013

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
When will Lenovo release the 440x lines in the UK?

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
T440s and p are now available in the Lenovo UK store. They appear to have different versions than the American store - you can get a T440s with the GT 730M graphics card.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
My T440s is arriving soon.

Are there any guides on how to easily swap the spinny HDD with an SSD? I don't mean how to unscrew the thing, but rather how to transfer all the data from the spinny drive to the SSD without needing external enclosures etc.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
Anyone have a T440s? I want to disable the touchpad using a hotkey (preferably a fn+something combo to toggle it on and off). The T440s does not appear to have a built in hotkey for this (unlike older T-series laptops). Anyone figured out how to add this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

snoozeallday posted:

I'm thinking T440s also. I really only want to be able to play steam games and stuff. No FPS.

The UK T440s (it has the nvidia 7xxM) runs Dota 2 at 1080p at high settings (AA turned off) with a good framerate. The US 440s does not appear to offer separate graphics, you need to go for the 440p for that.