Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I want:

-15" (13" if I can't afford what I want in 15") with at least 1600x900 hopefully
-Intel core (anything)
-Dedicated graphics in the mid-range
-SSD (hopefully)
-$800-ish

I want this in a 'normal' laptop form factor. I don't want a GAMING laptop, but I do want to be able to play 'real games' if I need to. I find it difficult to find a laptop like this with dedicated graphics.

I can probably pick something out like this on newegg, but I was hoping someone had a specific recommendation for brand/model. I want to know that it's not going to overheat/get extremely hot or extremely loud with the fans. I understand this will probably happen during gaming, but I don't want it happening at desktop. I also want good build quality and there are a lot of brands out there. I'm ok with even no-name or off-brands if they make a good laptop.

Also, I actually would like to perhaps get this as a refurb/used laptop as I really don't care if it's brand new. Are there any good refurb or used laptop sites besides ebay? I don't like Ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

sports posted:

Closest I can think of is a T430.

It looks like They only have one dedicated graphics option and it's on the low end. At least when I just went through their little 'build your own' program just now. But, I'll do a bit of digging and see if that card may be satisfactory to me.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Does MSI have a jump on the haswell release? They are the only ones I can find with haswell chips.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I'm excluding apple...and talking about windows laptops.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Weinertron posted:

Why are you excluding Apple? The Macbook Airs are perfectly good machines, and it's not too crazy anymore to buy a Mac and then never run OSX ever on it.

They cost more money than a windows laptop. I also want a full size laptop instead of an air, and a full size macbook are even more expensive :(

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Hadlock posted:

13" is full size, it has a full size keyboard, has full size resolution, full size speed/power/memory etc; do you mean you want a heavier laptop, or do you have bad eyesight or something?

To both of you crying about this, I stated in my original post that I am looking for a 15" laptop preferably. And I also stated that my target budget is $800. I don't care to have a ultra book or ultra thin laptop, and I also stated that I DON'T want a gaming laptop.

I just want a laptop that is reasonably priced (ie. NOT APPLE), and can run multimedia relatively well. I took the advice from people saying Haswell with HD5000 will probably be suitable for my needs, and thus started looking for laptops with Haswell chips. I then asked if MSI had a jump on this, because they are the only non-apple laptops I can find right now (all of them seem to be gaming laptops), and that then turned into a shitfest trying to get me to buy a macbook air somehow.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Dell makes a full size 18" tablet now:

Bring your own type M keyboard and bluetooth adapter

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/dell-xps-18.aspx

Listen Sperglord, I don't want what you're trying to sell.

To anyone else who might still want to help, this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/06/01/crunching-the-numbers-can-intels-haswell-graphics-run-your-favorite-video-games/ seems to indicate that HD5000 might not *quite* be enough for what I'm looking for.

I still most likely want a machine with dedicate graphics.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Thanks. I actually was just coming here to post that. This looks like a pretty good deal, only thing is its 1366x768. Do they make a model with a higher res?

Anyways you can apparently swoop these up for $800 (the google link I clicked said $719 actually, but the site says 799).

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...402&cagpspn=pla

e: Woops, didn't see the 1600x900 model

e2: I wish something like this was linked earlier instead of getting berated. There ARE plenty of laptops like I outlined, I'm just looking for a good deal and well-built machine, and SA is a good place to learn and share these things.

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 12, 2013

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
My work is ready to buy 10 new laptops but are having a pain in the rear end time finding some decent machines because we require Windows 7.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a reputable seller or something to buy ~10 laptops at once. Used or new is fine.

Reqs:

Windows 7 - 64 BIT is a must
Preferably i5
4gb+ ram
13-15"
500gb HD

I was thinking something like 10 thinkpads used? New ones are a bit out of our price range, but if anyone has any suggestions that could help I would really appreciate it. Budget is around $4-500 per computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
This is probably a really stupid question but..we just got a set of new laptops at work, and we have certain software that is a pain in the rear end to get set up and various other reasons why we would make it most convenient to just clone our current computers to the new ones.

Can you use the hard drive cloning software to clone a drive to an external HD, and then clone that onto the new laptops? Or can you not clone over a main windows drive? I'm guessing not.