Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

So 4.5ish years ago I built a fancy-ish desktop because I was a single homebody playing a lot of games. In the last 6 months I started moving back and forth from my girlfriend's house where there is no wifi for :siren: reasons :siren: a lot, I stay there 2 nights a week and go over for at least a while every night.

It's becoming time to upgrade my desktop I think because the gtx1070 and intel 6600k are getting long in the tooth.

I'm really considering spending a bunch on a new laptop with a rtx 3070 or 3080 and ryzen 5800 or 5900 to replace my desktop instead of upgrading it.

I'd be plugging in to a monitor and keyboard at home and bringing it back and forth a couple nights a week to watch movies I have downloaded or for light co-op gaming. Right now we're watching stuff on a tablet or our phones via 4g and gaming on her switch.

Does that sound stupid? How stupid?

I'm not sure how huge the performance difference is between comparably priced laptop and desktop parts is this gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

It's extremely amusing to me that phones started tiny and trend larger and larger and laptops started huge and trend smaller and smaller and eventually they're going to gently caress and we will all carry around their offspring

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

If you dig deep enough into the Asus website you'll see 80w up to 100 with dynamic boost advertised for the Zephyrus

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I was looking at those Eluktronics models earlier, the Mech-15 is the same chassis as the XMG Neo getting nice results in the Jarrod's Tech video posted above. He tested the 3070 at 140w and they also offer it as a 3080 at 150w.

Wish there were some reviews, they certainly look pretty good.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Lockback posted:

I think the "15 with a 3080" idea is some people want something that can be docked and be respectable but still be portable (even if the dGPU is disabled) when needed.

This is where I sit so he's not imagining it

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

What are the chances laptops with AMD CPUs get thunderbolt support in a refresh in the near future?

Researching it on google there's a ton of articles dating back a year+ about how AMD might get the license sorted soon but so far nothing and if I was running Intel I probably wouldn't license my biggest selling point to my biggest competitor

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you want a lot of machine for the money, Eluktronics has the Prometheus laptop up for pre-order. The thermals are apparently insanely good and runs a full powered RTX3080.

Anyways, $2700 gets you:

17.3" 1440p 165hz 4ms response screen that's actually color accurate
Ryzen 7 5800H
16gb RTX3080 that can boost up to 150w
1TB NVME (no soldering)
32 gb of ram (16x2 nothing soldered)
Windows Hello IR camera
Mux with optimus
Additional free nvme slot

I pre-ordered this exact setup from them but in a Mech-15 (same company, it's a 15.6" with a mechanical keyboard and aluminum instead of plastic.) No sales tax in my state as an added bonus, would have been $170 here.

It was for an end of February estimated ship date, I saw how fast they were going (already into April) and I figured I can always cancel so why not keep the option open.

Anyways got an email today that they're delayed by about a month but I get a free upgrade to a 5900hx instead of the 5800h and free 2 day shipping. Still not certain I'll stick with it but now I get extra time to decide and a better CPU if I do :waycool:

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Dave2d gets the G15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuoHW5EiJdQ

He's switching over to it as his daily machine, it's a purchased retail unit.

I also like that he had the RTX3080 version in house as well to show how little difference there is in performance between them. 3070 is the way to go with this device.

Not gonna lie, if my best buy had them in stock right at this moment, I would probably run out and buy one.

I was looking at this one closely but honestly an 80w gpu combined with a 1440p screen has me a little worried about longevity if you aren't downscaling to 1080p for gaming which can cause issues.

I'm looking to replace my 4+ year old desktop and would ideally be keeping a new laptop about as long.

He showed under 40fps for Cyberpunk and I imagine with new games being designed with the 30x0 desktop cards and beyond it's going to be struggling soon at that resolution.

Maybe that's stupid I'm not the brightest but that's my take. If I planned on a new laptop in 2 years I'd be all over it.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

or are the G15 3080's underpowered and not worth the jump in price?

Everything else in your posts has been answered but to address this: yes. In the Dave2D review of the new g15 he shows well less than 10% fps difference between the 3070 and 3080 model and both are severely underperforming higher TDP versions of those cards.

The gap between the 3070 and 3080 widens the higher the TDP is. Looking at the MSI ge76 and other high TDP machines it's a much bigger difference.

Honestly not sure why they didn't push a 3060 model of the g15 because at that wattage and target market it makes a lot more sense to me than a gimped 3080.

Maybe I'm being cynical but the answer I've arrived at is they know they can get away with it and by not offering a 3060 and soldering an 8gb stick of ram with the 3070 they have a much easier job upselling you an unnecessary and underpowered 3080.

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 4, 2021

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

You can use a cheap usb-c to displayport cable when you don't have your dock you don't need the hdmi port.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I'm actually pretty positive towards Huawei as a brand because my last phone that I kept for close to 3 years was from them and served me well but looking at the specs and prices briefly I really can't see why you'd pick that up over an m1 macbook or an AMD + Nvidia gpu "slim and light gaming laptop" for the price.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Isn't that 2020 g15 the one where they blocked the air vents?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The 2021 Zephyrus g14 has a better CPU better GPU and is smaller and lighter than either of those for $1500, if that's the class of laptop you're looking at I think it's worth looking at. It's also actually in stock at best buy unlike most 2021 models.

The 2020 g15 you linked also had reports of Asus intentionally blocking some of the air vents which is... Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

That's an $1800 MSRP laptop a reseller just replaced one of the 8gb ram sticks with a 32gb stick and marked up by $400.

It's really awkward since one 8gb stick is soldered on that model but even if you want the maximum lopsided 40gb you can buy a stick and replace it yourself and reuse or resell the other 8gb for much cheaper.