Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey guys, checked the last 3-4 pages but in my skimming didn't see this question:

What's currently the best bet for a full touchscreen laptop with a detachable keyboard? All I've seen out there is the Surface, HP, and Lenova (which is way too pricey for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Are you on a budget? There's $349 ASUS Transformer T100 that runs Windows 8.1, comes with Office, and runs all your old apps because it's running an Intel Bay Trail CPU so it's x86 compatible. It's also able to detach the keyboard and become a touchscreen tablet.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/asus-transformer-book-t100-bringing-the-netbook-back-almost/

Not really on a budget, probably looking at the $600-$900 range.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You shouldn't be allowed to talk about laptops and college without mentioning the years you went to school because that is extremely relevant.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Best Buy has the HP Split x2 on sale tomorrow for $650, anyone have any thoughts on it? Looking for a hybrid with a removable keyboard. Is a Surface Pro 2 a better buy (though $1k to get 128gb storage)?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can't it help sizing? But yeah definitely the latter for sure.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it was such a great deal why not try an exchange for a new one and see if it was just defective? I got a new i7, 8gb ram, ssd tower and it takes about 15 seconds for a full boot up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I did a bunch of research for that scenario recently and the Surface Pro 2 really was the best choice. The only catch with it was that it's probably the heaviest. The build is gorgeous though. The design of the magnetic cover and stylus are great.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought it was a little tough to use the type cover while resting on my lap. However I really enjoyed the tablet with just the stylus. Nothing we were using it for was hurt by the screen size, so YMMV there.

However I would have liked to learn more about the Dell Venue 11 Pro and the Vaio Tap, but there wasn't time or physical models to mess with in the store.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I should also say that man is the windows App Store sad. They just don't have anything. I can't believe they didn't even have one of those make me fat apps, or words with friends.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

The way I figure it, Windows 8 was made for use with touchscreens and while I could stick to the desktop side, I'm missing out on half the features.

You're really not though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Some people like the touchscreens, this isn't as objective as you're trying to make it seem. It's ok for people to like different things.

That really isn't what I'm getting at though. I have 8.1 on my desktop and got to use a Surface 2 Pro over 2 weeks during Christmas and saying that you're missing 1/2 of the OS by not having a touchscreen is just wrong. A lot of the OS features that have been converted to the touch screen look just feel extremely tacked on, and more importantly the Windows App Store is total poo poo with almost nothing worth using.

I loved using the Surface but it was sad how little there was on the tablet side of things, especially when you have an iPhone and are expecting some sort of app ecosystem.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You're not even close to be alone there. Bring on more doge I say.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

I'm slowly adjusting to the pro 2. Start+S search seems to be a suitable replacement for the start-menu search

You don't need to hit the a key, just hit the win key and start typing what you're searching for.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can say that I got a encase laptop carrying bag when I got my 15in MBP, and just hated dealing with a laptop bag. So I bought a north face backpack with a laptop sleeve in it and it feels a million times better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rahu X posted:

The only thing I wish is that Chrome would leave fullscreen when I press Esc, but it's not a major issue.

Cmd + shift + f will become you friend. Just give it time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The thing is (imo) the Surface 2 Pro is loving awesome. I hope that tablet / laptop hybrid form factor matures a little and becomes better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My fiance's refurbished XPS13 came yesterday and so far I'm impressed with it. Had some minor bumps to get over first, like the fact that dell shipped it with a copy of Windows 7 that was stuck in a networking error loop. But after getting Windows 8 on there and getting the multitouch touchpad drivers working I love the little guy.

Snagged it when dell outlet had a 30% off deal, so it was a 1080 13in touch screen, i5 4200u, 8gb ram, 128ssd for $800 after taxes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dell does offer the XPS13 in non-touch. Don't know how upgradeable the HD is though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well doesn't all of that boil down to Windows 7 can't be installed with UEFI boot? Though all that bios stuff seems silly you should have been able to change UEFI to legacy and be about your way, I don't know much about bios settings though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It takes about 5 minutes to get over the Windows 8 changes and realize it's not a big deal.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

gently caress I wish that happened a month sooner.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My edu address I still have access to from 2007 worked. As long as it ends in .edu it's good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah they send a confirmation email.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is he paying bills through a dedicated program or web interface?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Windows 8 really ain't that bad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And for those that didn't follow google i/o yesterday, they're going to be adding google play apps to chrome OS, which IMO is a HUGE deal.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I had to replace the system board on my wife's XPS13 because the ram was bad. Take it all apart and back together and now the screen is going black after a couple of minutes of use then the system shuts off while closing the lid.

God drat you soldered ram.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you plan on getting a dell sign up for their outlet newsletters. They throw 25-30% off around all the time. My wife's XPS 13 with 8gb of ram and haswell i5 was $800 after all fees.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it can run in parallels, it's pretty drat smooth. Basically weaves windows into OSX. Only posting this because I find the form factor of the MBA leagues better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a xps 13 and had some hardware problems and dell was pretty decent at doing their best at getting it fixed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is just a random throw out, but if anyone shopping for a laptop has an iPhone, seriously consider a MBP or MBA with all the new stuff coming in OSX Yosemite. Right now just doing iMessages through my MBP is so incredibly awesome, and soon all texting will be able to go through OSX. It really makes managing my phone while I'm working a million times easier.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you can get something that has a fast cup and good psu already installed, ram, video card, and hard drives are just plug and play.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't love the trackpad on the xps13 but everything else is pretty great. Love the build.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tuyop posted:

Why don't more developers use Macs?

Do you know that they don't? Not trying to be snarky, and I'm sure giant companies are just locked into PC ecosystems, but most start ups to mid-sized businesses I'm exposed to are using almost all Macs.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's a second generations i5.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was a big baby clutching my 2012(I think) MBP because it was the last model to have a matte screen and I'm a big precious graphic designer. Well I now have a mid-2014 glossy retina screen, which I just thought glossy = unable to ever see anything, and I was so, so wrong.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dell Outlet is running a big rear end sale:
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/gdo_consumer_sale

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with Dell ultrabooks?

My wife has a xps 13 and I'm not crazy about the trackpad but I think everything else is awesome.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Christoff posted:

Gfs macbook pro took a poo poo and can't be salvaged.

She really likes macs but would be find with a nice similar laptop. Even old macbook pros still net a lot on craigslist.

How are these deals?

http://computers.woot.com/offers/asus-13-zenbook-intel-core-i5-ultrabook-1?ref=cnt_wp_2_4

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...hnomkhxbs20whhx

No backlit which is a bust

http://computers.woot.com/offers/dell-15-6-quad-core-touchscreen-laptop-6?ref=cnt_wp_5_5

Budget is around $500-600. Should I just pay the difference and get a macbook air?

Does she really need a MBP or could she live with an Air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

jadeddrifter posted:

Thanks for the links. There are some good prices

Sign up for Dell Outlet's newsletter and you'll eventually get a 25% or 30% off what you want. Can save a lot of cash.