Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FISHMANPET posted:

I really want to wait for an i5 Haswell for a laptop for my mom, but they're just soooo far away. Any word on when they're coming, or at least something more than "Q3 2013?"

I'm figuring they'll be ready to go by Black Friday, but that's not actually based on anything concrete aside from the fact of the "holiday."

I read the OP and got all excited to go laptop shopping (my HP Mini 311 is great, but the Atom is really showing its lack of power nowadays) until I realized nothing using Haswell is actually out yet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RVProfootballer posted:

The Ativ Book 9 Plus, Samsung's 3200x1800 Haswell ultrabook, is set for a shipping date of August 20 for $1400, which I think is a base model (i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD), but I'm not positive. I'm looking forward to reviews on it, but I expect it will be the top ultrabook for awhile, given Samsung's previously well-revied high end Series 9 laptops.

E: Oh, that release date is just based on a B&H shipping estimate, now that the thing is up for preorder there. Hrmm.

I got to play with a few of the earlier model Ativ Books that came into my shop for work (OS/software, not hardware) and holy poo poo they are thin and light as all hell. I would totally pick one up if I had the money for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Uziel posted:

We went to Best Buy and tried a bunch of different options: Chromebook, Nexus 7, Surface RT, Surface Pro and a Yoga 11S. My wife fell in love with the Yoga 11S. She kind of liked the XPS12 but was concerned with the flip screen and cost compared to the Yoga.

Is the Yoga a Haswell? If not, does anyone know if it would be refreshed at the same time as the ThinkPad line?

The Yoga doesn't have a Haswell yet. I'm in a similiar boat to your wife, choosing between an XPS12 and Yoga. I'm going to wait until the Lenovos switch to Haswell, though, just to see what the pricing looks like.

Also, just for the record: The HP Splitx2 is just a Surface Pro with a purpose-built keyboard dock and a higher pricetag right?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 8, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shrughes posted:

The first Google search I tried found a relevant AnandTech article. I already told you what should be convincing evidence. If you think I made up the AnandTech article or the other goon measurements, I don't really care to work harder to convince you.

Edit: Also, I am one of those people. I am not here to "win" conversations. Please see forzan's razor.

Wow, to prove that you won the conversation, you quote yourself. That's pretty impressive.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How does the US price usually compare to the HK price?

That non-touch i5 looks pretty drat sweet, and that's only about $1000 at today's conversion rate assuming there's no other price difference between regions.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hadlock posted:

So the touchscreen is 1600x900 and more expensive, the "low end" display is non-touch but 1920x1080 :argh:

I added in USD since about two other people will bother converting those prices. Keep in mind the B&N price is about 25%-30% off MSRP. So probably in the $800-$850 range to launch? Trending downwards towards december.

That samsung series 9 is looking pretty sweet right now.

The Samsung is going to be like $5-600 more though, isn't it?

Also, what's so bad about that non-touch resolution? I'm seriously interested in the T440s now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mu Zeta posted:

The non-touch 1080p resolution is great. It's just not available as a touch screen which I guess some might want.

Oh, I think touch screens on non-convertibles are worthless anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MatCauthon posted:

I'm a senior in college looking for a laptop that I can use for writing papers, doing some GIS work, some light research/stats work with programs like NodeXL, and the usual video watching, gif making, playing video games on Steam type of stuff. Right now I have a 2009 Sony Vaio all-in-one desktop that has been chugging along pretty well, but it's starting to slow down and lag a lot in the past few months. While I was planning on waiting for a Haswell laptop, but I really like the looks and specs of this one. Would I be better served waiting for the Haswells to get released or would this be a worthwhile purchase?

That thing is Haswell powered :ssh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThePotatoEater posted:

Do you know if Lenovo has a retail site like Intel has retailedge? I feel the only way I'm going to get the laptop I want for the price I want, I need every possible discount I can get my hands on.

A few people in the thread have said that if you call Lenovo, they will find you the lowest possible price available up to and including employee pricing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ibsen posted:

I'm looking for a solution where I can control my laptop using the same mouse and keyboard I'm using on my desktop, and for that laptop screen to be sent to my 24 inch monitor.

I know I can send from the laptops vga out to a kvm swtich, but how do I ensure the keyboard/mouse control for the laptop?

I've seen the usb "kvm" (usb to usb) but from the reviews it seems it's laggy and may not render to full use of the widescreen monitor.

Or would vnc/rdp be best bet

KVM means Keyboard Video Mouse, so it should handle all of your input as well.

Are you trying to control both simultaneously or what, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ibsen posted:

What other connections does it require coming out from the laptop though?

I want to switch back and forth, but using one external keyboard and mouse for both desktop and laptop.

Checking out Synergy now.

Edit: Woops, I don't want to use the laptop's screen, I want it closed and tucked away but on.

A KVM is a thing you plug a keyboard, mouse, and monitor into, then you run a VGA/DVI/whatever video and USB cable(for the mouse/KB control) from it to the computers in question, and switch between them. In your case you'd just have each computer outputting video to their respective displays rather than the KVM, though.

The bit that I'm confused about is do you want to be controlling both at the same time, as in do you want your laptop to be a "second monitor" instead of an entirely separate system. If yes, then Synergy is what you want (and if everything is on the same LAN/next to each other you might as well go with that anyway because it's free and easy.)

EDIT: Just saw your other post, you want a 2-input KVM.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 23, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Brut posted:

Nobody really knows how good/bad the GTA 5 PC port will even be, since it hasn't been even officially mentioned, much less confirmed. So if they do it right this time and crank up the graphics to make use of new hardware (as well as PS4/XBOne hardware), you might have to turn a bunch of settings down. If they go the GTA 4 route, it will run like poo poo no matter what you do.

I was about to make a post saying that you should never, ever base a PC purchase off of a Rockstar port because it may never happens and even if it does, you'd need most of the NSA's computational power to make it really run well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely set on a the 430S. I'm probably not going to go down that road. I just got a job as an IT contractor and I'll be going on client sites for like 5-7 hours a day, 5 days a week, so I need something that'll get me through the day and it doesn't sound like either of my two choices will be what I'm looking for.

I'd look at other brands but quite frankly the job I just got is for a lenovo partner so we get good discounts on lenovo gear. They will buy me up to a $500 laptop at their expense. I can pay whatever I want over $500 out of pocket, but with the lenovo price breaks they get that amounts to a free $1000 lenovo laptop so I'm probably going to stick with this brand.

Since it'll be for work first and I already have a gaming "rig" at home I decided to not worry about the Y410p. I'd rather whatever I get look a little more businesslike (no offense to anyone who has a 410 or anything, I just don't think they look all that great) and smaller. Not to mention the battery life.

Work got me a Thinkpad X230 and it's pretty great. 4-5 hours of battery life just using a browser (probably longer if I could be bothered to turn down my screen brightness.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Progressive JPEG posted:

yeah just sayin in general

Those things are usually stuck way the hell on there, and it would be a lot more trouble to take them off than just ignore them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Doesn't Apple have patents on a lot of "basic" touchpad stuff, including the feel of the surface, which explains why nobody else seems to be able to really replicate them? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Tell him to get over his Lenovo hate and get a Y510

Also tell him that 4 years of laptop use is pretty good and probably the best you're gonna get assuming you don't just leave it on a desk all the time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

flakeloaf posted:

Despite the misery I had with my own OS I still recommend an SSD most enthusiastically. From beep to usable in thirteen seconds is just insane.

Installing from USB to SSD with a lot of RAM is also hilariously fun when you're used to CD to HDD.

The first time I did it I thought the install had gotten hosed since updates were installing so fast too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

P.N.T.M. posted:

My x230 came in today. Super fine laptop, light even with a 9cell battery, and just a dream to use. The keyboard is so spacious!

I have an X230 from work and it really is fantastic. I would highly recommend it to anybody who doesn't need a great, big screen.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shrughes posted:

Actual pictures of a T440p spotted: http://imgur.com/a/oNdw1

Ugh why the gently caress would they use that touchpad/nipple setup. I had to use one of them today on a client's machine and it was hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cyxx posted:

Now I just have to work on getting a dell win8 ISO, thanks!

I assume the computer came with Windows 8? You can just get in touch with Dell support and they will send you a thumbdrive.