Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I finally got sick of this netbook I've been struggling with and ordered an x230 off the lenovo outlet for what looks like about half price. There's not much I can do about it now, but do they all come with IPS screens? Will it take a normal size SSD?

Other than that it looks pretty great. Overkill for surfing the net from my bed but I'm sick of having to wait 20 seconds to change tabs in Firefox on this thing.

code:
Lenovo X230 ThinkPad
New (details)
Outlet Price: £945.30*
Reduced Price £549.00

How did you manage to get such a great price? Th OP link to B&N looks only in the US..

E: Nevermind, I found the outlet store. Still, it's a great purchase. Enjoy.

headlight fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

I'm in the market for a new laptop come March (upgrading from a Thinkpad x230, which has an awful 1366x768 TFT screen) where the following in rank order are important to me:

1. screen resolution - important not for sharpness/colour but because I never feel like I have enough desktop "real estate". I work on spreadsheets where I always have to zoom out to 80% and have size 8 font to see stuff. Luckily my eyesight is very good.
2. build quality
3. portability
4. quiet/low fan noise for basic tasks
5. dockability

I've narrowed it down to the Thinkpad x260, XPS 13, Surface Pro 4 probably in that order and will be doing a bit of everything, some music production, software development, lots of spreadsheet modelling, and lots of browsing the internet with a million tabs open.

I'm nervous 1080p on the Thinkpad won't be enough, but people say that for the QHD XPS13 you have to scale everything up so much anyway you don't really get a lot of 'real estate' given the screen size.

If anyone can post a photo of an XPS 13 with 100% scaling it would be good to see how tiny everything really is in reality, e.g. unreadable, or just very small, but any thoughts/tips/suggestions welcome.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Cross-post between the laptop and printer megathreads: One of my users would like a recommendation for a new personal laptop and printer for his home, with the preference that they are both white. Any suggestions?

Acer Chromebook 13 and Canon Selphy CP910.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

loving Lenovo - I've been waiting since the January announcement for them to release the x260, now they finally release it you can't yet select an 1080p screen option, "early March" they said last month, "early April" they say this month.

Just venting, but they sure make it easy to hate everything about their store waiting for the routine yearly refresh!

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

I've been holding out for an x260 with 1080p display for loving months and getting sick of waiting (europe is lagging behind apac/usa by 2 months for some reason), so thinking of getting a yoga 260 instead.

Is there a substantial difference in build quality between the X and T series think pads and the Yoga versions with the same size? They look very similar so I'm wondering if they also benefit from good quality keyboards, able to take a knock etc?

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

ugh guess i'll have to continue waiting... :(

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

With all this thinkpad talk, I'm chiming in to say I took delivery of a tricked out x260 w/ i7, 1080p IPS, 16GB RAM about 3 weeks ago. Its an upgrade from an old second hand non-IPS x230 I have, mainly to get something with a decent resolution and quality screen.

I'm very happy with it so far. There are a couple of niggles: the screen isn't the best quality display I've seen, and shows some weird vertical interlace lines occasionally e.g. when logging on. The mouse pointer intermittently freezes for a couple of seconds every so often as well, but I'm putting both these issues down to drivers and win10 which I hope will work themselves out. The keyboard is also a little bit more spongy than my old x230 and has smaller keys, but I think the sponginess is also a teething thing that just needs a bit of use to wear in.

Overall I would recommend, I was deciding between this and the xps13 and post-purchase am still glad I got the thinkpad. It just feels durable. The battery life is also good. I got the 6-cell upgrade and it lasts about 14 hours or so. In reality because I don't use it for 14 hours straight, it lasts me a couple of days of moderate use before I have to plug it in.

Other adhoc things I've noticed: The fingerprint reader sucks and isn't worth it. The backlit keyboard is useful. The fan doesn't come on all that often (for my use), and is quiet when it does. I really miss having hard volume/mute buttons that the x230 had. I feel like there is quite a difference in footprint from the x460 - it seems a lot more portable e.g. on an airplane/lap, but definitely bulkier than the Dell XPS13. I love having all the USB ports but don't think I'll use the rest (HDMI/Ethernet) as much as I thought I would.

headlight fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 21, 2016

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

That makes sense - its so bad I'm not even bothering to use it. Its the swipe style reader rather than the apple-esque touch style that (I think?) the t460s and yogas have.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Work is offering me a choice between a Surface Pro 4, and a Lenovo Yoga X1. The spec for both would be the same (i5, 8GB RAM, 256gb SSD).

I have a non-creative desk job, and it will be docked 95% of the time in the office (all day every day). I'll really only use it off-dock for very rare presentations, or if I want to take it to a meeting, or to work on at home (where I'll probably also dock) or with me on vacation. At the moment the I'm drawn to the portability of the SP4 even if I don't use it out and about much as I'll carry it home each day. The X1 I like because it has an LTE sim slot, and I already have an x260 thinkpad as a personal laptop, so I guess I can use the same power adaptor.

The fact it will spend most of its life docked means any shortcomings of actually using the thing will mostly be avoided, so that is why I'm thinking the portability of the SP4 (on rare occasions I carry it about) is better. Any opinions on which I should go for?

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

It won't have the oled screen, they are rolling this out to about 2000 of us, where we have to choose between one or the other, so beyond the basic specs we won't get upgrades. But, oled would probably be wasted on me given the fact it would be docked most of the time.

It just comes down to any major disadvantages when using away from the office. No LTE seems like it won't be great. I'm still drawn to the ultraportableness of the SP4 though...

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

I had a surface pro at work for about a year before I had to give it up when changing jobs. It was a dream and I miss it enough that I'm considering buying one for personal. The hardware issues people have mentioned scare me off some into thinking maybe my work model was a lucky good production batch.

I'm thinking about the surface book or xps13 as well. One thing is I use skype a lot for language lessons. Is the odd webcam placement for the xps13 still a thing or not?

I'd be replacing a lenovo x260 which has been so-so, crappy screen even though it's the 1080p ips and intermittent freezes for 2 mins before it carries on its way.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Or the Lenovo X1 Tablet?

I was dead set on a surface pro 6, then saw it. Price includes keyboard and pen as well.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

-That detachable touchscreen/tablet functionality you would see on I guess a Surface Pro? She likes the idea but is skeptical (as am I sort of) of this feature actually working well. But she moves around her shop a lot and likes the idea of a light touchscreen for emails and quick internet use and the like.
- Sleek classy design

Thank you in advance for whatever advice you may offer.

Edit: I should say that I really doubt she's going to use this thing for anything besides Quickbooks, Excel, internet, and Spotify, so killer specs are absolutely not a priority.

Surface Go might fit this - although beware HD size limitations.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

When I had an SP(4) for work as a primary device I thought it was excellent - been pining for one ever since moving jobs. It spent probably 80% of its time docked however. What are you finding clunky?

Others said good things about the yoga 2in1 in the past although it is more laptop than tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

1080p on my x260 only barely cuts it for me, but my eyes have always been fine with no scaling and extra desktop space. I think on a T450 it would be “ok” but the res would be the one thing that made it feel old especially if stepping down from a higher res.

I’m just waiting to pull the trigger on an x1 Nano when it come out so I can go higher without needing to go to 4k.