Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Could anyone recommend a good quality 13-14" laptop costing around AUD$1500 for me?

I was looking at Dells but the problem seemed to be that to get a decent screen resolution (i.e. 1920x1080) you had to get a high end model that cost a lot.

The Inspiron 13 7000 Series (AUD$1499) ticks the right boxes but it is a 2-in-1 which I'd prefer not to get for something that will only ever be used as a laptop.

The XPS 13 is a little expensive (AUD$1799) and only comes with 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD in that config.

Edit: does anyone have an opinion on the Lenovo E series? E460 is surprisingly cheap (AUD$1199) at the downside of being a bit heavy.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I currently have a Vostro 7590 with a 9750 CPU and a 1650 GPU.
I want a business/BYOD laptop with a H class CPU and a decent-ish GPU. As far as I can tell Dell doesn't offer anything in this space anymore?
I'm cross-shopping the Lenovo T15G with a 10750 and a 2070 and wondering if there's any other models I should look at.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, I really wish they would put a 2060 or something in the 3551 or whatever they're up to now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

T15g is a new model T series thinkpad with a 10th gen H CPU and a Geforce GPU.
I'd buy one except you can't get the model with a 10750 model in my country right now, and the Xeon W is too expensive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Uziel posted:

Thanks!
Should I care about 10th gen vs 11th gen for Intel at all?

There's no 11th gen -S (yet.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ilkhan posted:

The surface laptop 4 got announced a few days ago. Tiger lake or zen 2, and no goddam thunderbolt. Still. MS makes the dumbest loving choices.

I was looking into that because people from work were talking about it and there's some even more bananas choices in SKU segmentation like no 32GB RAM on a AMD CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lockback posted:

Did a laptop you bought in 2013 when the ps4 came out last until the ps5 was released? That would be like a 4000 series cpu and a 760 if you're lucky. So no. It won't have the staying power for gaming.

I don't have a dog in this fight but could it not be argued that this isn't true for the PS4 or XBone either?
You were getting a pretty second class experience trying to run the latest AAA on your launch console, and were recommended to upgrade to a Pro or XBonX.

VVV fair enough; I'll defer to your knowledge in this area.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I gave up and bought the stupid Legion 5 Pro.
Only had it for a day, but here's some thoughts;

Apart from the lid logo, it's not very gamer-y which I appreciate. You can turn the lid logo glow off and I ordered a sticker to slap over it.
While robust, it's not actually a metal construction which I'd seen implied on previews.
It's not terribly heavy and the fans/noise levels are good.
You can't order the power brick separately so have fun lugging that thing around.
I haven't messed with all the settings yet but it looks like you have to go into the BIOS to switch between the iGPU and the dGPU. My understanding is that this improves performance?
Screen is good. Speakers are good but again not as amazing as the copy would have you believe. Keyboard is good. Trackpad seems mediocre but I'll almost never use it.
I appreciate that you can turn the lid logo on/off, change keyboard backlight modes, and switch between performance modes without installing any bullshit software.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 30, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

As far as I can tell from Google it does have MUX, maybe the BIOS option is poorly named.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The ThinkPad T15P looks to be the best business laptop under AUD2K right now.
https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T15p-G1/p/20TN0000AU

It's $1650 with "instant savings" which is good because that means you should also be able to use a discount code on top.
If you sign up to the mailing list you should get a 10% off code.

Has a H CPU and a low end dGPU in it.
If you want battery life that works against you especially since the included battery is only 68Wh.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'll take the con.

Windows is mostly dreadful at scaling; the only way it ever works is to have everything at 100% so FHD is it for a 14".
It also helps for being able to play the odd game at a native res instead of scaled.
Multitasking is no better on QHD unless you're running that at 100% which more power to ya, but is a bit crazy.
Presentations and multi-monitor setups are usually easier when your internal screen is FHD.
Minor battery life improvement from FHD screen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I could be way off the mark here but it seems like every Intel laptop CPU I look up on benchmark websites look like complete dog poo poo compared to my current processor whereas some of the Ryzen laptop models are within spitting distance.

For example, there's my CPU vs the Intel and AMD options for the Lenovo P14s. The Ryzen in the HP x360 435 G8 scores 20460. Am I just being a sucker looking at these benchmarks?

You're looking at a U class CPU. (The real problem is both Lenobo and Dell are being annoying about sneaking U CPUs into "workstation" models.)

Check out the Precision 3551 which is the low end mobile workstation but it has a H class CPU and a junker Quadro GPU.
There is also the Latitude 5411 and 5511.

Lenovo has the P15 and the T15G.

Dell is also meant to be adding an Inspiron "Pro" model soon.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I'm just realizing that the AMD P14s doesn't have Thunderbolt 3. Does that mean I won't be able to use any docking station? How does that work? I've never used docking stations before.

Their service manual calls out a "side docking connector" but then in a footnote it says that 2 USB-C Gen 2 adapters and whatever the hell 7 is make up this side docking container:

Does your P14s have DP (and preferably PD too) over USB-C?
My work is basically replacing TB3 docks with a USB-C monitor that you plug your laptop into, then daisy chain the second monitor off the first using DP MST.
Only downside with this method is that the monitor has fewer USB ports than a dock probably would, and one of those is now consumed by having an ethernet dongle.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bobstar posted:

Hi laptop thread. I have a dock question. I have a Dell Latitude 5591 for work, which was supplied with a TB16 dock, plugging into the USB-C or Thunderbolt or whatever it is port. This dock died towards the end of 2019, and I didn't get around to sorting it out before the pandemic, at which point my laptop was on my desk almost permanently, so I've just had the peripherals plugged in directly.

Now I'm starting back on field work I'd like to get it sorted. My question: the TB16 wasn't great anyway, and is quite expensive, so I'm wondering if there's an alternative, but I'm having trouble figuring out the whole USB-C/Thunderbolt power delivery thing.

Requirements:

- Power via the connector
- 1x 4K monitor (3840x2160) only, running with the laptop closed at all times (monitor takes DP or HDMI) - needs to run at 60Hz
- The usual USB peripherals
- 2 network connections, 1 via USB adapter

Does such a thing exist, or am I stuck with the Dell dock?

Any TB3 dock will do. I have always had success with the Lenovo docks, even with Dell laptops.

You could also get one of those little USB-C dongles instead of a dock. You would need to get a decent one that had ethernet, DP, and PD input, with enough USB ports for your extra ethernet interface and other devices.
A dock is "nicer" though, especially if work is buying it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

C to C hubs are actually pretty rare/expensive.
The only one I found with 4x C has one of those being a PD input only, and was AU$80.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

I've been on a Lenovo T460 for the last few years (and Thinkpads in general for at least 15) and am looking to upgrade, but I know jack poo poo about the current environment. Is the E14 a proper scale up? I also hear good things about the X1, but looks pricey as gently caress. Is there something similar in, say ASUS? Big items I'm looking for are the 14" screen with as high a resolution as I can get; the classic durable ThinkPad type design; and something with a bit more video processing power, so the frame rate doesn't chug when I plug it into a 4K TV. No budget (but looking to be realistic on performance vs. price when talking $2000+).

E series is a step down. If you want classic Thinkpad then you should look at e.g. T14 Gen2.
If you customise a model you can add the MX450 (babby) GPU if you select the i7 CPU.

(The i7-1165G7 has Intel Iris Xe iGPU which may be enough for you anyway, especially compared to a 6th gen iGPU.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

if money isnt an object, is there a better gaming laptop that treads a middle ground between performance and portability than the lenovo legion 7

What does "better" mean in this context? Lighter?

I don't have personal experience with any of these but you could look into the Razer Blade Advanced, XPS17, and the think MSI have some higher quality models in their Creator series?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Clobbermeister posted:

Well, the latest Windows update corrupted my install and forced me to reinstall Windows on my old laptop. This reinstall, probably the 6th or 7th in its long life, has put me in a somber and contemplative mood. Perhaps it is time to say goodbye. I bought this T430 in 2012 and added an SSD for OS and programs and increased RAM to 8gb. It has gone around the world with me, endured screen and battery replacements and half a dozen new chargers. Here's what I love about it:

1. It's solid. It weighs a ton. I think this translates to 'good build quality.'
2. Lil Red Nubbin
3. Removeable battery and partly accessible guts for adding RAM, SSD.
4. All the ports
5. Great stickers I put on it
6. DVD drive! Wow!

Things I don't like about it:

1. Monitor is small and crummy
2. A bit slow
3. Weighs a ton

Uses:

1. Office suite, email, web browsing, video conferencing, and watching video streaming will be 80% of the use for this computer.
2. 15% will be used to hook up to projectors to present stuff for work.
3. The remaining 5% might be very light gaming (think stuff like Loop Hero or at worst a Blizzard game with the settings on low-medium), occasional photoshop or light duty audio editing.

Budget? $1500 would be the tippy top. I'm hoping with my use cases that I could get under $1000 though. I'm happy to swap components if it doesn't require invasive surgery.

I throw myself on your mercy.

If you like the TrackPoint you could consider the Dell Precision 3551. It's an older model with the 10th gen Intel CPU and the crummy P620 GPU but the replacement (presumably 3561) model isn't out yet.

Vostro 7500 is cheaper and has the 1650Ti GPU but it is probably chintzier and no TrackPoint.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

My laptop is mostly for freelance work, most of which is audio production, so a solid CPU and 8-16G RAM is all I really require, though it'd be nice if I could play fairly-recent games on it too. My current laptop struggles with anything released in the last three-ish years. About the most demanding thing I play is probably Phasmophobia, and it manages to run that but just barely.

~15" would be good, decent storage would be good, though I'd take less storage & an SSD over a high-capacity HDD. It doesn't actually need to be all that light and portable, with my current laptop I lug it around from job to job, but I can mostly keep it plugged in, so it's not a dealbreaker if the battery life isn't fantastic, as long as it'll last at least ~2-3 hours on a charge with battery saver & light use.

Legion 5 Pro.
Good build quality.
Just minimalistic enough to get away with work.
Not particularly light or portable.
Great screen and powerful CPU with your choice of GPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't even have the option of just disabling the backlight entirely, so that's fun.

Does Fn+Space not work for you to switch between backlight modes (one of which being off?)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I use a metal baking cooling rack thing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mirconium posted:

The CPU default settings seem to keep the whole package pretty toasty if you ask it to operate under load. Multithreading to all available cores with Rust/Rayon will push the temps to ~85C. This is cool to have for burst loads, but if I'm number crunching a sustained load, I would rather just keep it a little cooler and go a little slower because I'm worried about longevity; I sometimes need this thing to run at a steady rate for hours on end.

Is there a way to turn the thermal throttling settings DOWN? Like I would prefer that the CPU clock down if it reaches 70-75 C.

Use ThrottleStop and set Speed Shift EPP upwards.
You could also try turning your all core turbo multiplier down.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The topic of a good, powerful office laptop comes up reasonably often. I'm not in the market right now but I just ran into the Lenovo P1 Gen4.

You get an 11th gen i7 or i9, and the GPU options include Quadro RTX A2000 (ISV 3050Ti) or Geforce RTX 3080.

Plus the usual niceties of a ThinkPad such as 90Wh battery, TB4, and business-friendly looks.

Edit: hey, the new ThinkPad keyboard even put the Page Up and Page Down keys in the right place.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 17, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

forcedstealthlevel posted:

I went back 5 pages and just found advice for a usb-c dock, which is not what I’m looking for. I don’t think I explained it well but the usb c port in this thing is limited, it doesn’t charge and it doesn’t do DisplayPort. I’ve also read that it will only connect to the integrated gpu instead of the 3080 which defeats the point of everything. Seriously considering just paying the restocking fee and sending this back.

Yeah, if the USB-C doesn't do DP then there's not really such a thing as a dock.

Lots of gaming laptops won't charge over USB-C though, so you end up with two-cable docking.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

HP's mechanism is probably the best I've seen; you have a TB3 cable and the tiny barrel jack still as two cables but the connectors are magnetically attached.
You can plug a non-HP laptop into the dock by separating the two cables.

Much better than Lenovo's weird proprietary connector that isn't even TB3, or Dell's double-USB-C that only works on certain models.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You could say the same about PD though.

If you have a non-workstation laptop that wants 45/65/90W to charge then USB-C is perfectly fine for you.
If you want more than that then it doesn't work at all, charges slowly, or you find the correct device that works for your equipment.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

forcedstealthlevel posted:

There's this on Amazon but I don't know if it's quality and I don't know if this laptop is worth it. I'd still have to plug in this dock along with the power adapter, and it only outputs to one monitor. Bleh. https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-Mini-DP-Video-Dock-White/dp/B01BGLV1WM

If your laptop has miniDP port then it would probably work to get a DP MST dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-2-Port-DisplayPort-Multi-Stream-Transport/dp/B07575RCQN

Of course then you have three cable docking; power, USB, and DP.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kithyen posted:

Thank you for this. I actually just recently switched from Android to Iphone recently and enjoy it's simplicity. I'm actually considering the macbook. Is there a huge difference between the AIR and the PRO? Everything I've read so far seems to indicate the PRO has slightly longer battery life, brighter screen and the addition of the touchpad thing above the keyboard. Not sure if it's worth the extra 200 dollars or not for similar specs to the AIR.

Get the 8 core GPU Air if you want to play FFXIV.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hey laptop folks, I was wondering what you all use for USB C/Thunderbolt docks, either at home or work? Our company is moving a smidge into the future with a hybrid workforce, which means laptops, and subsequently docks for extra monitors. We currently use dell laptops and their standard dock is like $285 so I wanted to put some feelers out there on other options, if they exist.

TB3 docks are expensive, really.

In general I have been happy with Lenovo TB3 docks, even with Dell laptops. But that is going to be around the same price.

If you're buying it with your own money you can get a cheap chinese dongle.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Medullah posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for docking stations? I'm getting a Lenovo Legion, it looks like everything is USB-C, but there are so many dock choices out there it's hard to decide what would work best for a gaming one.

You don't post which model you're getting, or what you want to dock, so...

A cheap chinese USB-C dongle will probably work fine for your purposes. You will still need to plug in the slim tip as well as the dongle unless you don't mind running at low power.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm using the Dell WD19TB on a L5P and it does work, but it is the only TB3 device I've tried which does.
I doubt 3 external monitors will work though.

If TB3 is important I would get the Intel CPU version of the Legion.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lockback posted:

For you high rollers there's a really good coupon deal on the T15g thinkpad with a 3080 (or whatever you want to configure) for about $2,300. You use a coupon, I'll just paste the slickdeal:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15276652-lenovo-thinkpad-t15g-i7-11800h-15-6-4k-rtx-3080-max-q-1tb-ssd-32gb-ram-2389-at-lenovo?src=frontpage

Reviewers are saying that while it says 2 months for delivery, people have been getting them in 2-3 weeks.

I'm glad they're giving the T15G another shot.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

pixaal posted:

Lenovo Legion you can switch power profiles with an FN combo and that changes the power LED color.

Max power on battery is how you get to 20% battery during the opening cinematic.

But to the point that was raised, you can't enable full power mode on battery.
(Or even with anything less than a 230W PSU.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I have a 65W GaN charger for my L5P when I don't want to carry the brick, which is basically always.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

The 65w Lenovo charger is pretty small, barely larger than the 30w blitz wolf from a few years ago. And like half the volume of the 50w DJI charger. But the high voltage cable really pisses me off, it literally takes up more space in my bag than the charger itself.

In my experience, nothing lower than a 230W slim-tip Lenovo charger will charge the L5P. It's way more accommodating over USB-C PD for some reason.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

This is hopefully obvious but make sure you test it before you get on the plane.

My Lenovo is extremely finicky about what chargers it will accept using the slim tip. I think 230W might be the minimum.
It is much more forgiving over USB-C and will charge off 65W.

But plenty of gaming laptops/workstations need more than that over USB-C. The Dells I've had recently I always needed to plug in the power brick as well as USB-C when trying to dock to a TB3 that nominally provides 90W. This HP zBook too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Frankenfinger posted:

Work has upgraded me to a dell precision 7560. What’s a good lower cost dock I can keep at home to make moving between spots easier? I have a wd19dcs they’ve supplied for the office. I’m not buying one of those for my house.

You can get cheap USB-C dongles that rely on DP MST.
If you only need a single screen it's even easier.

Neither option will charge your laptop though, it will be two-cable docking.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I've been looking at a Dell Precision 3510 to play around with at home. Does anyone have any experience with this laptop?

I had the 3530, which was the 8th gen version of what appears to be exactly the same chassis/build. I loved that thing.

You probably want to play with undervolting the CPU. The GPU is also quite weak (mine had a Quadro P600.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I like them as a souped-up Latitude. Tough and all the ports you need.
That Xeon looks basically the same as the 6820.
The R9 is probably better than the one I had but it's hard to find specs to compare.

For 400 bones I guess it would depend what you want it for. It'd be a quite a bit out of date office laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Tricky one here; I have Legion 5 Pro and a WD19TB dock. Normally I plug the USB-C cable into the port on the back of the laptop (which supports PD) for one-cable docking.
Over the weekend I seem to have gotten a Windows Update and now the dock does not work at all on that port (apart from being a USB hub. that actually still works, but it won't charge or show external displays.)

The dock will work on the side USB-C port, but that port does not have PD so I would need to plug the brick in also.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: uh oh, maybe the port itself is dead. I can't charge it from a PD charger either. USB still works though.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 14, 2022