Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

As a fan of the X230, can you compare the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I just configured a ThinkPad Yoga just like that and it came out to $1610.10. I don't think you have the 1080 screen upgrade selected.

Getting the 4300U over the 4200U probably isn't worth $100 ($78-80 after discount), either. You can upgrade the RAM and hard drive in the X240 yourself so it's not worth paying the outrageous upgrade costs on Lenovo's site. Mine ended up being $1200 but I'm going to upgrade the RAM and SSD myself.

That was part of the appeal of the x2x0 series to me. I'd always cheap out on the RAM and HD and just upgrade. I upset the X240 only has one RAM slot though. The max available is 8gb, I wonder if that slot can hald 16GB dimms once they come out? 8GB of RAM max in a $1400 is a little strange.

Work gave me a terrible Dell laptop, it's sufficient for my use, but I was a slicker and smaller Windows laptop for home, so I ended up getting a Surface Pro for $499, I figure I can use it for a year and then see what's around. At that price it's not really a big deal. My plan is to leave the Dell docked on my desk at work and then just use the Surface to RDP into it when I need to. I'd like to buy the Surface dock if I can find one cheap enough.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Have you used a Thinkpad Carbon X1? How does the trackpad compare? I'm considering buying a used X230, but I wanted a better screen and something with Haswell. But I could also just buy a couple spare batteries.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I had a current gen Dell Inspiron 14z with a hybrid drive, and the majority of the time the caching software would crash, give an error and disable itself.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I had $300 in gift card money to Amazon, so I already picked up a 240GB Intel SSD and 16GB of low voltage Crucial to upgrade whatever laptop I buy.

A lot of the new Thinkpads only have one RAM slot, and most ultrabooks now solder the RAM in.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

shrughes posted:

The X240 has one slot, for a maximum of 8 GB.

I wonder if the slot limitation of 8gb is simply because there are no 16GB modules out yet, and once they are eventually released if they will work.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kjermzs posted:

I am in need of assistance.

The Macbook Air is one of the best laptops period, even if you install Windows on it, which is very easy. Buy a 256gb 13" Macbook Air with 8 or 16Gb of RAMS depending on your budget. Use his discount, and then buy a $99 Windows 8 license and install it. However, I guarantee that unless you specifically need Windows for your games or work, you will much prefer OSX once you get use to it and discover Expose and Workspaces.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

shrughes posted:

You can't get a MacBook Air with 16GB of memory.

A MacBook Air would be not what you want.

I think you might like a Lenovo Y510p. You should use the Barnes & Noble Gold link in the OP if you get it.

Then an 8gb. With his discount its a steal. Cost aside the Air is the gold standard of laptop design. With his huge discount its an easy choice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

shrughes posted:

Not if you want to play Guild Wars 2.

Even with windows installed on it? I'm not sure of the specs for it but if he can play it on his wife's two year old iMac wouldn't the Air be able to play it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

dissss posted:

A two year old iMac is going to have a 6750M or higher

Anyway the Air isn't really capable of doing any gaming - it gets way too hot for comfort if you tax both the CPU and graphics.

Ah. Well what about the Pro then? With his 25% discounts going to bring the price to near Window laptop levels.

EDIT: Wait, you can't get a Mac Pro with discreet graphics unless you go up to the $2599 15"? That's BS. Forget that noise.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 7, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
is the Air with 4gb usable or is it better to splurge for the 8gb?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

voltron posted:

Dude, weren't you the one recommending the Air?

Yes, but since he wants to game, and apparently the video card on the Air is totally insufficient for it. For couch browsing, I'm curious if you need to step up to the 8gb model.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

tesilential posted:

edit^^^:

Go hold them one after another. The Air feels way lighter and thinner in the hand. While technically it's not MUCH lighter it definitely feels MUCH lighter. Now I'm definitely not saying the Pro is a big hambeast, it's going to be much sleeker of a machine than Y410P or something. But for example there are several 13.3" windows ultrabooks that are lighter/thinner than the Pro but I haven't noticed one that is lighter/thinner than the Air. This is a petty argument though, seriously for anyone who wants to find out go to an Apple store or Best Buy and see for yourself. It's pretty obvious. It's not that the Pro is "too" heavy it's just obviously heavier.
edit #10 or so: I take back saying the Pro is "way" more powerful though as I have not used one for anything intensive or looked at benchmarks comparing the two.

Yes it is great.

poo poo if you have a desktop already I would just get a chromebook as those are super quick and nice for browsing.

No desktop. I have a hambeast Dell from work I hate, so our only home computer is a 2010 Macbook that is showing it's age. I just got an offer from CL for $380 for it, I'm going to take it and use the cash to purchase a new Air for her. If I can stick with the 4gb to same some cash, I'd prefer to do that. She does nothing with it except iTunes, iPhoto, and Videos, so the cheaper the better.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Surface is going back. It was completely unusable on the train. I just gave in and bought the rMBP 13".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

HalloKitty posted:

I'm going to guess the utterly gimmicky form factor is an issue there.

Yes, in laptop mode it flops around way too much. The touchpad is completely useless and the keyboard is not usable for long periods of time. I've had both the type and touch cover and don't like either. In tablet mode it's too heavy and wide. I already have a Nexus 7 I can use to read or watch animes on, so what do I need a 3 pound widescreen TV that only lasts two hours for? On a desk in a dock its just an underpowered regular old Windows 8 laptop.

I also realized that I need to run VMs locally, and the Pro will just not do that well. I debated picking up the 256/8GB Pro 2 thinking maybe the additional power and battery life would be helpful, but that's 1200, plus 100 for the cover, and plus 150 for the dock. So for 1450 I can have a decent laptop that is awkward to use anywhere other than my desk.

The rMBP was the same price, and I absolutely love love love the three finger gestures for desktop switching. I typically use an Ubuntu laptop configured with the same setup, but I'm tired of Ubuntu's crazy nuances and how it comes unglued all the time. If Windows has the same gesture support I'd have considered getting a comparably priced Windows laptop, but it's not an option. (Even with tools like "BetterDesktopTool").

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BrainParasite posted:

Can someone suggest an inexpensive laptop for writing and doing job applications?

A Chromebook and a proper laptop suggestion would be nice. I'm not totally sold that a Chromebook will do everything I need.

Lets start with do you need it for? If you already have a laptop, just install Chrome, hit up the app store and see what's there. You can do a 100% simulation very easily.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BrainParasite posted:

My girlfriend is the one who really wants Office. I think the major point for her is not being forced to download everything to another computer to make sure it looks right in Office before sending it out.

Office Web apps are a thing, and they work pretty well. As long as you aren't doing lots of complex Excel macros and what not, a regular document in word isn't a big deal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BrainParasite posted:

Alright. Can I get a suggestion for a Chrome book and a regular laptop so I can try them out in a store or something?

I had the Samsung Series 3 (from the Play Store) and I really liked it. However now they have some new ones. The HP looks interesting, there was a recall due to it's charger catching on fire or something, but it's fixed now. I haven't used the HP, but it's my favorite looking one.

Do you have any sort of laptop/pc now?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BrainParasite posted:

I have an OK desktop I built myself. It's tucked away in a back room because it takes up too much space anywhere else. That's why I'm not too worried about games and what not. We're basically looking for something more convenient for her to write on and for me to use to apply to jobs, write cover letters, maybe mess with my resume.

She's writing for her own amusement at the moment, but may end up doing web content or who knows what. Being able to write without WiFi is preferred, but not critical I suppose. Hangouts, Netflix, music playing/storage, emulation, watching DVDs, and casual gaming are all desirable, but not necessary.

Google Docs works offline on Chrome OS

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I had both the Samsung Series 3 (ARM) and the most recent Series 5. I like them both pretty well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Straker posted:

Thanks, but I don't really need a dock, and I'm confused by "1080p over USB 3"... are you saying USB 3 to a dock to HDMI or whatever? I don't have the room for a real monitor, and I'm not seeing any portable monitors that can do better than 768p which is pretty weak.

If I could afford the space/weight for a dock and monitor I'd just build a desktop in a mini-ITX case :)

You want a monitor that connects directly via USB 3.0 to your laptop, and is presumably powered by the laptop as well?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

P.N.T.M. posted:

If you are willing to spend more, you can get more. The 13" MBPr out right now is stellar, and well worth the money if you are already in love with the interface.

Seriously, I just returned my Surface and got a 13 rMBP, and it's amazing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I was asking him because he made a big deal out of the X240 only going up to 8GB and then he bought a laptop with non-upgradeable RAM that probably has 8GB in it. But maybe he did get it with 16 who knows?

Speaking of the X240, Lenovo actually shipped mine before the date they said they would and I'll have it next week. I'll see if I like it any better than hotsauce did.

I got a 8GB model. The 16GB was very expensive. I was pissed at the x240 because upgradability and the modular, repairable, design is a hallmark of the X series, and it's trending away from that. Also the keyboard and trackpad are awful, especially compared to the MBP. For the cost of an X240 specced similarly to the 256gb/8gb rMBP you are easily at a higher price. A FHD screen ($300) alone puts the base x240. The FHD screen is touch, but there's no non-touch option in the US.

I just quickly built out an X240 with 8gb of ram, 256gb ssd and an i5 and I'm at nearly $1650. We are atleast a couple years from 16GB ram sticks anyways, so upgrading the X240 to 16GB is impossible. I needed as much RAM as possible for VMs, and I've found the Pro to be perfectly serviceable for my needs. I'd put forward the Mac with 8gb of RAM running a WIndows and a Linux VM at the same time will perform better than a similarly specced X240.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

My X240 with the FHD touchscreen and i5 was $1200 with the B&N discount, and I spent another $250 on 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, so just a bit under what I could get the rMBP for ($1499 on Apple's site). I am worried about the trackpad and keyboard, I've seen mixed reviews.

I did consider the rMBP but it's not worth it to me to get it and run an OS it wasn't designed for. Especially since there'd be a big battery hit and I'd have to pay for the license.

I run Windows in a VM. My company provides the software so it's not an issue for me. I love Mac's workspaces and three finger gestures enough to have that alone worth the premium. There's no real Windows tool or utility to reproduce it, and even if there was the trackpads aren't ever as good. I used to run Ubuntu setup with the exact same OSX gestures, and when I had to change to Windows for my new job it was a huge step back in utility. I got the Mac for $1500, which is only a hair over what you paid for the X240. I think the days of APPLETAX are really behind us, since for a Windows laptop with the same level of specs you are only maybe 10% below the Mac option.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AriTheDog posted:

For what it's worth, IF the trackpad on the x240 is the same clickpad as on the Thinkpad Yoga, I didn't think it was bad at all, and the great keyboard (which I believe is the same as on the Thinkpad Yoga) and ability to use trackpoint were huge perks that you don't get on a MBP. The only reason I haven't ordered an x240 is because Lenovo support scares me, so until I can buy it from the Microsoft Store (probably never) or some other brick and mortar it's a no-go.

I've used Lenovo's warranty a few times, I had the top depot warranty, though. I just took my X61 and X200 to a store where a guy repaired it same day. That's an expensive warranty though, but I've always heard good things about their support.

I'm unhappy with the middle button being removed on the X240, I used it a lot with the Trackpoint. I have really bad CTS though, and since moving away from the Trackpoint (of which I'm a big fan) I've actually noticed it get better. Honestly, the Macbook's keyboard and trackpads are head and shoulders better than any Windows offering. This last generation is catching up, the Samsung and X1 Carbon are really nice, but not quite there yet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Best Buy has a unique Haswell Yoga 11s. It's only available through them. It's 799 and has an upgradable RAM slot and SSD. It's a really good buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...=specifications

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the specs on that link specifically state that the system ram is "nonexpandable."

Its definitely expandable. There's a lot and of youtube videos showing how to replace it and I have the service manual right here. Its not under a little cover like some laptops. You have to take the whole bottom panel off. Its not hard.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Dave posted:

I can say that I got a encase laptop carrying bag when I got my 15in MBP, and just hated dealing with a laptop bag. So I bought a north face backpack with a laptop sleeve in it and it feels a million times better.

I use a Timbuk2 Messenger bag. I bought it because it was great for biking with a laptop, but now that I don't bike to work, it's a little cumbersome. I still walk a few miles a day, so it's good for that, it's designed to be worn for long periods of time. If you take if off and on a lot it's a huge pain.

I'd suggest getting a backpack since if you have a messenger bag you'll get back pain from it slinging your body to the side all the time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

agarjogger posted:

My x230 @ 1366*768 is home in dock half the time, pushing 1080 out the displayport onto a Dell IPS, and I've never once found myself craving more screen space. I run OSX on it though which I think does kickass window/spaces management.

How does the bumpy trackpad work for multitouch OSX gestures?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ReadingZucchini posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Lenovo refurbs? I'm considering a refurbished Yoga 2 but I've always avoided refurbs in the past.

I've steered a large number of clients to outlet.lenovo.com for their personal laptops, and I've never had any complaints.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J.A.B.C. posted:

I think I'm really starting to regret this Lenovo, guys.

Just got my Win7 Disk, and had to go into the boot menu to restore the disk again, change the security settings, then load up my Win7 Disk. And now the Win7 load screen is frozen again.

I've been working on this thing for a week and I haven't had it going for a solid day yet. Is this normal for these sorts of laptops?

Also, as far as gaming goes, I don't see any marked improvement over my four-year old Asus.

Why didn't you just boot it with the built in recovery and reinstall the OS and then just use add/remove programs to remove the unwanted junk? It seems like you have a lot of abnormal problems. I've rolled out hundreds of Thinkpads and it wasn't like everyone was a complete disaster.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J.A.B.C. posted:

I did that twice so far. And by the end of the day I can't touch anything on the desktop without the computer freezing. Even if I don't install antivirus or other programs.

And now I can't get Windows 7 loaded. Should I send it back to Lenovo and use the Warranty?

Yes, your computer is clearly defective. You think that every Thinkpad they send out operates like that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J.A.B.C. posted:

I don't know, which is why I came here for advice. The only Lenovo computers I've used before were the ones used by the Army, and the only reason I got a Lenovo in the first place was because of the recommendations of this thread.

I'll let Lenovo Support know that I'll send it back, if I can't get Win7 loaded up onto it by tonight.

Unless you specifically need Windows 7, Win8 is better and is what you should be using. I'd just return it, something is wrong with it. Cut your time investment and call them up. I bet you could get them to cross-ship a replacement first.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Is this just a limitation of using it under OSX or the X230's trackpad itself? My X240 can do 3 and 4 finger gestures.

I'd bet Windows 8 certification requires 4 finger presses. I wish there was a way to get OSX (and Linux) Workspaces working on Windows with the same finger gestures. It's such a nice way to work on a small laptop screen. BetterDesktopTool does it with shortcuts, but the three finger switch desktop gesture is just a fantastic boost to productivity.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Netbook or an old T420/T430 + $60 pelican hard case laptop sleeve

Thinkpad screens are about $100 a pop and you can swap them out with a single Philips head screwdriver (I've done it myself). You should be able to buy a used T410 for under $400 or a mostly new T430 for $550

Thinkpads are the best laptops to repair, maybe the new models are different, but it's always been a plus. However, for your dad if he expects to break the screen more than once, I'd man up and buy the super warranty. If there's a shop nearby you, it's painless to just pull the HD and drop it off, and they fix it for free. I fixed my X61 a ton of times when I was working in the city and it was getting brutalized.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sendo posted:

It's not a great experience with an ARM processor, the process can be fairly involved and it comes with a lot of limitations compared to x86. There isn't that great driver support and the level of software available for ARM is limited and can require a lot of messing around to get working.

I ran Ubuntu on an Intel Samsung Chromebook. Getting it up and working is a lot of work. I mostly work in Linux, so I'm really familiar with it and I could manage, but I couldn't imaging not being a Linux power user and attempting it. There's a ton of incompatibilities as well like the laptop wouldn't hibernate and the keyboard keys don't quite match up, I'd recommend against it. The investment of time isn't work the cost savings. If you get a Chromebook use it for that, don't finagle with it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

agarjogger posted:

Weirdest thing. My buddy came into town with his x230. I was using his Trackpad to set up osx for him, and I found myself using it voluntarily. He had tolerated it long enough to wear it down into complete smoothness. I mean it still sucked for all the other reasons it's not good, but it was definitely usable.

A lot of people just peel off the textured plastic sticker on the trackpad. The remaining surface is smooth and completely useable.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Say what? What's this sticker you speak of?

The bumpy texture on the X230 trackpad. It's just a sticker affixed to a smooth plastic surface.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Tell me why this is a dumb idea:

I need a laptop to run a few Adobe programs, the Office suite, and a number of other items simultaneously that all take up a fair amount of RAM. I always felt I needed to aim for a pretty robust laptop to handle it all.

Instead, why wouldn't I just buy a cheapo Chromebook and just remote in to my home desktop from wherever I am? I don't plan on gaming and will only stream movies when I'm at home on my LAN. As a bonus, I wouldn't need to purchase additional licenses.

I figure I'm missing something really obvious since I don't hear about many people doing this. Thoughts?

Thanks.

This is actually a perfect use case for a Chromebook, and is something that cloud companies are really exploring. Will you need a 3G card incase you are off wifi? Also if you use Google Drive and Google docs you can keep your docs synced on the laptop and use them offline. I don't know if MS Office Online is going to support an offline mode, but eventually they'll have too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Best Buy has an exclusive Yoga11s with a Haswell chip for $800. That configuration is not available anywhere else. The SSD and RAM are upgradable. Its an absolute steal if you don't mind the screen size.