Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So the Microsoft Store has the XPS 13 and 15 up for preorder but they list them as QHD non-touch displays with a slightly different resolution than the 4k displays listed on Dell's website. Also the prices are slightly lower than Dell. So the question is.. is this some sort of mistake or are these really running a completely different display than what is offered on Dell's site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Hadlock posted:

Probably a typo, I have seen them name the audio stuff slightly differently on the X205 and change it for the office x360 edition even though the laptop that comes with the cloud software is identical. Won't know until it ships.

I guess it could be but its a typo in multiple places then, not just the name of the display, but in the stated specs of the resolution and in the overall price of the device.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Hadlock posted:

Maybe they fixed it? Where are you not seeing 3200 x 1800

From Dell's website:
15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch
Price: $2149.99

From Microsofts website:
15.6 QHD+ (3200 x 1800) non-touchscreen infinity display
Price: $2099.00

EDIT: I don't trust Microsoft's site but it would be kind of weird to preorder something at a specific price and then they have to change the price unless they are going to significantly over or under charge you. They also list it as being DDR3 ram whereas Dell's is DDR4. So I dunno. I'll just wait to order.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 12, 2015

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I’m looking for a laptop recommendation.

Usage:
- indie gamedev (2d/ low poly 3d)
- emphasis on programming, so looking at text a lot, typing a lot
- compilation speed is important
- will be used while I’m on the couch, close to a outlet
- is not my primary development machine
- does not need to be portable beyond my lap

Budget is flexible and I wouldn’t mind seeing low/mid/high tier options without going insane on prices.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

AgentCow007 posted:

The XPS 13 is my favorite actual "lap" top for farting around the house, has decent compile speeds, and excellent battery times (1080p model). I'd get an older model that still has USB A, but that's just me. They also handle Linux rather nicely if you decide to go that route for development.

I went to a Best Buy to check out the XPS and I’m really not a fan of the typing experience on it. I mean it’s not as bad as the new MacBooks but it’s not good either. I thought the Insprion they had next to it was better.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I ended up getting an XPS 13 i7 16gig 500ssd 4k model for $1300. Is that a good deal?

Though after seeing those surface laptops I have a little bit of a screen size envy. That .2 inches doesn’t seem like much on paper but it does make the XPS seem squished vertically.

I also vastly prefer the keyboard on the surface laptop to the XPS.

Too expensive for what it is though.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Alienware is announcing something this week and I wouldn’t be surprised if Dell also announce new XPS 15 this week as well.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Dell XPS 15 and 17 announcements this week:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...o.464804.0.html

Its already on sale on the Chinese Dell website apparently.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 12, 2020

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Alienware announced their new stuff as well, though I don’t have a fancy video to show :p
https://na.alienwarearena.com/experiences/alienware-m15-m17-r3

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 13, 2020

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
It looks like you can still get the "lower end" graphics card in the 17. Combine that with the better cooling of the 17 overall and I think that would actually be the better choice in terms of thermals than getting the 15.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

etalian posted:

Looks like some reviews are out for the Dell XPS 15 re-design

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/dell-xps-15-2020

Looks like heat is still an issue if it’s getting to 103 on video watching alone.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Just received the new Dell XPS 15. Wasn't expecting it for another two weeks.. came early.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
This is my first time buying a Dell. Supposedly this thing came with McAfee and Office subscriptions. Do I have to worry about auto renewal? I'd really like to just deactivate them immediately.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Tiger Lake has that new Xe GPU built into it or whatever right? Which would be great for if you want to do something like 2d game dev and don't really need the power of a discreet card I'm assuming. It can do DirectX 12 too?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Really happy to see more 16:10 and similar aspect ratio displays. That aspect ratio is so much better for actual productivity work.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Tiger Lake XPS 13's are now up on the Dell store.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I can't stand laptops that offset the trackpad from center. Ugh.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I somehow ended up with $1500 in rewards points at Dell... which is confusing and I think a mistake. Because I've only ever bought 3 things from that site in the last 5 years.
Looking at the transaction history is a confusing mess. Some "API" thing has been depositing and removing rewards points for the last three months multiple times a month.

I guess I'll hold on to it until I see a sale.. possibly Black Friday. Hopefully the points don't disappear by then.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Looks like the new Alienware x17 has decent thermals under heavy load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLrdCvAk7k