Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I haven't seen much chatter here about the Framework laptop. Is anyone else awaiting their AMD Framework to be shipped this week?

It's going to be my first new laptop since 2009, and hopefully my last new laptop ever. My current daily driver is a 2010 MacBook Pro which has a perfectly usable i5 and 8gb of replaceable RAM and 2x SATA which I've upgraded to SSDs and removed the DVD burner. Even 13 years later it has best in class trackpad functionality.

The real push to throw it in the ewaste bin is software support-- Apple is no longer supporting the hardware with OSX and Slack finally stopped working this month. I'm even starting to get warnings from Chrome about being EOL. I've tried several Linux distributions but I can't find one where all of the hardware is supported at the same time due to the closed nature of the hardware.

With Framework, I'm expecting my computing hardware to have a useful purpose as long as they are functioning in IoT, interactive art or home server projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I have been waiting to see reviews of the AMD Framework laptop. I don't know if a good review will make me want to wait for one though, since the line seems a bit long right now to actually receive one.

Your plan makes sense but I think it's worth keeping in mind that it requires the Framework company to stick around for a long time and continue to make motherboards that fit inside whatever case you buy from them as your first unit.

There's multiple objectives I'm looking for-- being able to repurpose the standalone components at EOL doesn't require Framework to exist at the time of EOL. Even if I never upgrade the laptop I will be able to build it into a project, whereas my MacBook hardware is only usable in a project pretty much as a complete laptop.

Having an upgrade path does require Framework to exist AND for them to follow through on commitment to backwards compatibility. I do consider it a risk, but I feel the risk is a bit lower now compared to when they were just offering Intel hardware. I am a bit concerned about the release of the FW16 spreading resources thinly.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Gao posted:

The fan in the Framework 13 can be loud when it's on full blast, and I saw one review of a 13th gen i7 model where the guy complained that it seemed like the fan always went into full gear if he was doing more than the bare minimum, which really annoyed him. I'm not expecting it to have trouble cooling these AMD CPUs, but I'd rather confirm that before spending the money.

I've read that the fw13's system is designed to be able to handle continuous 28w TDP, which presumably would require the fan to be on high. Is there a setting in the BIOS to lower the TDP threshold to a point where it will throttle earlier before hitting 28w?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

I have a batch 2 pre-order I guess maybe I'll post first impressions when I get it if people are interested. Sounds like you might get it before me if you're shipping this week though.

I'm in Batch 1. Who knows what a batch is though or if there are further subdivisions of a batch.

Is there anything specific anyone wants to know? I plan on installing Fedora 38 because it seems to be the best supported distro.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The last time I bought a screen was before freesync and gsync technology so I don't really know how it's implemented. Is it a thing to find laptops that have either? I haven't seen it specced anywhere so I'm assuming not, but could it be so ubiquitous that it's just not mentioned?

Is it implemented in the LCD panel or in the driver board?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Sorry, I should clarify. I am confident that most modern laptops are able to take advantage of free sync on an external monitor, but I am wondering about the internal display panel.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

Actually I'd love to hear if you run into crashing - I intentionally pushed myself to batch 2 so I could cancel after I got burned real bad by fence timeouts/ring bus timeouts on the 680m. I'll be running fedora kde spin so I was counting on using batch 1 folks as canaries for igpu driver stability.

My Framework arrived only hours before I left the country with just a backpack for 2 weeks so I didn't get to play with it. However, my initial impressions are the build quality is quite low-- the fingerprint sensor shipped peeling up off the power button and the chassis does have quite a bit of flex. Neither really are dealbreakers since the sensor is easily replaceable under warranty and the chassis doesn't flex under day to day use, but it's quite shocking after using only Apple laptops for the past 20 years.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 17, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Joey Steel posted:

Anyone here with a framework laptop? I'm seriously considering getting a framework 16 and just turning it into my forever ship of Thesus laptop.

I got an AMD one sitting at home but haven't had a chance to play with it since it arrived just hours before I left the country for 2 weeks.

Anything you'd like to know specifically or photos of any parts? I'm planning to run Fedora 39 on it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm not sure there is such thing as a standard Chinese chassis. It is a bit flexy, but it doesn't feel like a bottom bidder product.

I wonder if stiffness is one of those things like weight that impart the feeling of quality but actually have no relation in practice. I will know better in a few weeks.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

As a thinking out of the box solution, how about a VESA mountable computer + external GPU connected via Thunderbolt 4? It still has a footprint, but it's way smaller than most desktops and you will still be using your monitor anyways from the sounds of it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

My desktop is about the size of most commercial external GPU enclosures designed for desktop GPUs (Sliger SM560). Actually, it's smaller than a Razr Chroma and this thing can fit 3 slot graphics cards.

A desktop GPU needs a full fledged PSU in it and the boards required to interface with the card and provide a PCIe interface end up not not taking up that much more space than a motherboard does.

All told, it's a Ryzen 3600x with 8tb of storage, 32gb of ram, and an RTX3070ti. It runs cool as can be and sits in the corner of my desk.

Only time a vesa mount PC makes sense for space savings is if it contains everything you need. Otherwise, you can build a very tiny mini-ITX system.

Yeah this is another option. Honestly I just don't get gaming laptops-- even if I want to bring my gaming setup around with me, when would I do so to a place where I don't have a desk and a monitor? Gaming on the train or the bus? They are just expensive, hot, heavy, and unupgradable ewaste.

Particularly since OP said his application is gaming at home.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Thanks for the suggestions people. Framework looks really interesting, and I love the philosophy. I do worry since they've only been around a few years. It'd suck to buy in and just end up paying a premium for old tech that you never actually get around to upgrading. The Elitebooks look interesting though I'll have to take some time to sort through the ridiculous number of skus and prices.

Do people generally like the Surface Pro? I'm not sure about the combination tablet-laptop thing, but Best Buy has the i5-1235U with 16 GB memory on sale for $1k including the keyboard, and it looks like there's actually pretty decent community of people working on it (no webcam support but shrug).

8 gigs of RAM is a dealbreaker, and I'd prefer a 512 GB hard drive though can live without. I probably need to root around more, but there don't seem to be good sales on models with 16 GB of RAM because it's not a base configuration. I'm definitely not opposed to sticking with Apple. The M3 Pro base configuration is appealing too though I'd prefer to spend a bit less.

I had the same hesitations as you about the Framework 13 and for me my "tipping point" was their release of AMD motherboards. That gave me enough confidence that they would be able to execute on their market strategy more than just doing incremental Intel improvements every year. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a laptop that can play all of my 2010s games with integrated graphics.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

down1nit posted:

Depends on heat and build quality anymore. Fine for 2 years probably. Wrecked after 3-5, likely. Unplug the battery at 50% charge, unless you're gaming or traveling with it

(note: no one does this, but it should be what we all aspire to.)

Some laptops have settings in the BIOS to cap the charge at an arbitrary number, so you can investigate that.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is the Vivo actually faster than a 1070? It has a Zen 3 AMD right?

I have a Zen 4 AMD which is about 1060 speeds.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Here's an example of external monitor support from a modern laptop: https://knowledgebase.frame.work/external-monitor-support-on-the-framework-laptop-rk5GVUwyY

There are a lot of factors like refresh rate, bit rate, and protocol.

Also this:

Saukkis posted:

You find out the exact model name of your laptop, then go to the manufacturer website and read the specifications for your laptop.

This again makes me wonder why can't people just post the model. Someone would have probably told you the exact information by now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I would expect that every laptop with wireless would be dual 2.4ghz/5ghz band. The 2.4ghz antenna is needed for bluetooth, so adding 2.4ghz wifi is almost free from a design perspective.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

namlosh posted:

General question I’m hoping someone can opine on:
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro that I will never get rid of as long as it’s not completely broken. It was my dad’s.

I’ve got windows 10 on it and that works great. But long term, 10 will eventually lose support.
Is there a Linux distro that’ll work ok on it? I use it with a Logitech mouse so I’m not super worried about the touchpad working and such. I just want to be able to use it for surfing and connecting to other machines remotely on the couch

You can make these things last a long time. I just retired a 2011 MacBook pro a few months ago. Fedora worked on it but I decided to buy a new computer in the end.

Another option is to look at opencore legacy to run modern MacOS on unsupported hardware.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/MODELS.html

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Slack and Chrome dropping support is why I finally retired my 2011 Mac a few months ago. There was nothing wrong with it other than OS obsolescence.

gently caress that poo poo I bought a Framework and put Linux on it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

KracKiwi posted:

My relative is trying to decide between two laptops for work: Lenovo Thinkpad T15 or Macbook Pro M3.

• All of their prior laptops/desktops have been Windows, other family members are also on Windows
  • Work involves video calls all day, so camera quality is important
  • Other typical work things like MS Office programs used daily

Knowing this I'm leaning towards recommending a Macbook if they are willing to get used to a different OS.

The way it works in most families is the person that makes the recommendations is also responsible for technical support. Even for work devices. That's why I always recommend Apple (computers, phones).

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I recently started using i3's Wayland cousin, Sway and I love it. I hate going back to my MacBook for work and using some accessibility hack like ShiftIt to kind of get kind of similar features.

Anyways, I was working on building a custom PCB for my Kinesis Advantage 2 keyboard and I emailed the maintainer for help, and lo and behold it's the same guy that wrote i3.

The moral of the story is it seems like community giants have their fingerprints everywhere. It's like when I discovered that Git was written by Linus Torvalds.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Why would I want proprietary oculink over regular oculink?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I hate picking a new laptop. My last pick I went ultra-cheap and now I have a machine that can't really open VS Code without having a heart attack.
Anxiety about ports, screens, and power are making me start thinking the Framework 13 is now my best option. I have spare SSDs and power bricks so I think I can get one of those nice new AMD ones for about $1,000. I can also find a nice Thinkpad T14s for a little more but it just makes me nervous. Not crazy about being unable to upgrade the RAM later on.

Does anyone have a FW13? I don't need to be super trendy but I think the ability to change my mind about individual components later on would do my brain good in the long run.

I have an AMD FW13 and it's my main personal computer and first new laptop since 2009. About to hop on a flight but my executive summary is that the tangibles of the laptop like the keyboard, screen, speakers, battery and chassis are a 7.5/10. The intangibles of modularity, Linux support, repairability and upgrade path are a 10/10. Whether or not it's the right laptop for you will depend on your weightings between the two.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The 7040 AMD FW13s are the U series, not the HS series. A little less power, but they also use less power.

For what it's worth I am very happy with my decision to go with Framework and Fedora. I really hate how OS obselesence is a thing to replace hardware obselesence now that computers are basically fast enough and now I finally feel like I have a computer that I control.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Worf posted:

how do the hinges feel? i know that was a thing before

how do you like the display quality?

I have the default 3.3kg hinges and they are perfectly fine. The display angle doesn't change when I'm using the computer normally on my lap and I can open the lid with one hand.

I would rate the display quality as great for productivity. The DPI is so high that I have to use 1.5 scaling. It's only a 60hz panel without FreeSync, but for productivity and only casual gaming I care more that the DPI and nits are high. I'd love it if in the future there were more panel options, like extreme power savings components on one end, and more gaming-oriented panels on the other end.

This might be correctable in software, but the screen is way too bright at 1% brightness. (Linux problem?)

Things like the top cover flex are totally overblown. Yes, it flexes more than my MacBook's top cover but in day to day use it doesn't matter.

I love talking about my Framework laptop. Ask more questions.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

I really enjoy that this is a thing you can choose to change. Mostly for me the thing that made Framework sound good is that a lot of the ports are replaceable, since I feel like ports are one of the things that experience wear and stop working so well for me; my old laptop I kept moving USB things between ports because the connection would be blipping on and off with at least one of the ports, and I know I've had power connector issues in the past too, though I don't know if the power port is a part you can replace on the Framework.

It's interesting that different people have different attractions to the Framework laptop. For me, the modular ports thing isn't really a big deal. I've never had a port wear out on the 5 Apple laptops I've had going back to a G4 iBook. For me it's on the nice-to-have side of the scale.

What convinced me was the potential to have a motherboard upgrade path across competing OEMs. I wasn't fully convinced of Framework's ability to execute that until they released the AMD version. Now I'm less concerned about their ability to technically execute, and more about their business decisions finding the right market fit. Even before the mediocre reviews of the FW16 came out, I felt that Framework was spreading themselves really thin by creating not only another SKU, but an incredibly complex one.

I feel like all of the resources that went into the FW16 should have gone into making the FW13 ecosystem better, particularly on the OS side. Right now there are 2 supported distros, Ubuntu and Fedora but a lot of stuff has to be tweaked after install like power profile management, fractional scaling, hardware decoding in browsers, etc. It would be nice to have scripts to do all that stuff post-install instead of digging out the info from their trashy reddit quality forums.

e: I remember now that my iBook became useless when it fell off my coffee table while plugged in, bending the power port. It's one of the reasons I was mad that Apple went from MagSafe 2 to USB C charging. But now that the Framework USB-C ports are replaceable, I actually prefer USB-C charging for its versatility across devices and chargers.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 1, 2024

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

:dogstare:

Y'all have got some weird as gently caress problems with your laptops

I don't think I've ever had a port issue with any device of any laptop, ever. Not since 2010 at least, probably all the way back to 2005 or so when I retired my PowerBook g4 and I had a express card 54 thing USB 1.1 adapter. Or using the "always on" USB 2.0 port

"Linux support" is still a thing people worry about? About six months ago I pulled all my old and newer laptops and installed Debian 12 on them. Every single install worked flawlessly. It just works. They mainlined OTA motherboard firmware updates like, 4 years ago! Who the hell has USB driver issues in Linux??

I'm sure framework laptops are great but any bog standard thinkpad, or any of the other laptops regularly mentioned in the thread would be perfectly fine and I seriously doubt the ports will somehow fail on you

Also never had issues getting vs code to boot on my repurposed $150 Chromebooks, not sure what the hell that person did, sounds like possibly a virus, or your heat spreader fell off or something

:wtc:

"Linux support" is really just short hand for everything working well OOTB. I don't think that's necessarily the case for every laptop mentioned in this thread, and the people that need a good OOTB experience aren't the same people that want to spend their time reading forums, managing out of distro repos, compiling from source, etc.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

For anyone considering an AMD Framework 13 and Linux, this patch has basically resolved my battery life anxiety giving me now 8-10 hours of estimated office-work time:

Fedora: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mariolimonciello/power-profiles-daemon/
Ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/~superm1/+archive/ubuntu/ppd

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Electrical tape leaves a gross residue that is hard to clean though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lockback posted:

This is going to check someone's boxes

Legion 5i Pro 16"
32GB RAM
1TB SSD
$1000
Sold by Costco

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-legio...4000159489.html

If it was an AMD it'd be a full BINGO.

Why is AMD more desirable?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Truga posted:

so jealous of that aspect ratio lmao

Is that a 1:1 or a 4:3? I feel the best you can get these days is a 3:2.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Another keyword is LPDDR. I am not aware of any LPDDR that is socketed-- it should indicate soldered RAM.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

Laptop for the laptop thread. I've always wanted a MacBook Air 11. I know their limitations and that they're now old. I found this one being sold locally. It's a 2014 model so it isn't the final revision of it but it has the 256GB storage upgrade and, more importantly, the i7 CPU upgrade. There are a couple of minor scuffs on the exterior but it's perfect otherwise. The only other sign of it being used is that the battery is at 85% of original capacity.

$70. Seemed like a good deal. That's practically free as far as MacBooks go.

For laptops, I always choose to buy small and light because every computer is going to eventually get slow and old. But a small and light computer will always be small and light. It will always be useful as a thin client.

There's a lot of good tech in that MacBook Air, it looks like it has magsafe and a good keyboard. The trackpad experience is still top notch. You may be able to install a current OSX on it https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/MODELS.html#macbook-air

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I’ve had a 13 inch XPS with an i7 since 2018 as my daily driver. I love this thing but I didn’t realize the RAM was soldered in so I’m stuck with 8gb and it’s just not enough anymore. OneDrive makes the fans go nuts when nothing else is even running.

I’m doing dev work now and want to play the occasional game. I also work from home and have a desk with wheels that I roll around the house so I can follow the sun. I was planning on getting a desktop for gaming/to use as a server, but that wouldn’t work too well with my desk situation.

I don’t really want a laptop with a dGPU because I wouldn’t need it all the time. So I’ve been thinking about getting an external GPU enclosure and hooking it up whenever I feel like playing. Does anyone have any experience using a laptop with an external GPU?

Have you considered an AMD 7040 or 8040? They run cooler and have about a the same performance as a GTX 1060 which might be enough for occasional gaming depending on what games you play.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

UncleGuito posted:

I'm in the market for a somewhat budget laptop in the sub-$600 range. I was considering the $600 M1 Macbook Air but I have one for work and don't really like macOS.

Is there anything comparable for the price if I'm just looking for something with good battery life and browsing/media consumption w/ some light scripting? I was also considering a used Surface Laptop 3 or something similar off eBay (any other recs?), since they're around $300.

??? At $600 this is a no brainer. Where can I get a $600 M1 MBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Bright Bart posted:

Hey guys! I am really hoping someone can tell me how to check (on Windows 11) on a laptop if it can be charged using a USB-C charger.

My charging port is giving out and only charges when something keeps the adapter pressed firmly inside. Rather than pay for a repair I was thinking about a USB charger since they seem convenient.

Guy at the big box store I went to wasn't much help. First he asked if my laptop also has a traditional charging port. I said yes. He told me I have to use that then and USB won't work. I pointed out an HP Envy on display, with a traditional port but being charged by USB. He shrugged and told me some do some don't.

I realize there is a lightning bolt symbol for fast charging in general but my laptop in general has non-standard marking (it's a semi-custim job from when I had money but even less sense).

For a fun solution, you can get one of those USB C cables that tells you the wattage being delivered. This one will tell you if PD is engaged and the wattage.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-395164-cab-lcd01-lcd-dispaly-zinc-alloy-pd-usb-type-c-to-type-c-100w#sku424998