Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

So... the Zenbook's not going to be available until Q4, Acer Aspire s3/6 until Q3. I'm helping my fiancee choose a new laptop and I've been trying to convince her to be patient. Her laptop is imminently dying, as of a couple days the screen is half distorted. The Aspire S3 would be ideal if it was available now.

Did anything get announced today that's actually available? Or is the wait for Haswell crew still waiting? If her patience runs out, any recommendations? She doesn't like the looks of the T430 and wants something slimmer/more stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

A tablet's not going to cut it, she needs full-featured MS Office and some other Windows programs for work. In that case, any particular ultrabook? The Acer Aspire S3 looks OK, she also liked the looks of the ASUS Vivobook.

Sucks to get an Ivy Bridge ultrabook a couple weeks before they get discounted (especially after already waiting a few weeks), but her screen is borderline unusable at this point.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

She's a translator, so she needs certain features of MS Word including a proprietary plugin her company uses. Plus there's some other text editor specifically for translators that looks like it's from the XP era, forget what it's called. But most jobs don't need it, so maybe if she kept her old laptop around for use as needed that could work. What are the MS Office capabilities of a Chromebook? If it's just the Office365 or whatever browser version I don't think that's enough.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

So no chance of just getting by on an external monitor?

That's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that. Thanks!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Guilty posted:

That's exactly what I said.... Turn it into a desktop replacement...

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood that. You're brilliant too.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm setting up my mom's new T430 and had a couple of questions:

1. I told her to get the 1600x900 configuration, but now I'm worried that everything is too small for her eyesight, and the scaling option on display settings makes some things look terrible. Is there a good solution to this- or is 8.1 going to help and I should tell her to be patient?

2. If we switch out the HD for a SSD she already owns, will she have to put the original back in for service? Basically wondering if it's a bad idea to sell it.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Trip report: my fiancée decided not to wait for Haswell and bought an IdeaPad Yoga 13. We are quite satisfied. The two downsides are that the trackpad sucks and it heats up a bit more than the thick laptops we're used to. The convertibility is more useful than I would have thought, I've already borrowed it quite a bit to play Civ 5 in touch mode. I'm a little worried about how long the hinge will last if she's constantly switching back and forth to tablet mode but otherwise I'm impressed.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

jototo posted:

How responsive do you find the touchscreen as compared to a smartphone or iPad?

Equally responsive or nearly so, maybe a bit less precise, but all I've done in touch mode is play Civ 5 so it's not much experience with it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

How much heat are we talking? I'm probably going to take the plunge and get one of these when I head back to school in a little over a month. I always use a mouse so I'm not too worried about the trackpad. My current laptop idles at around 52C, so anything under that would be nice. How loud are the fans in general use (ie web browsing)? Echoing the question about how responsive the touch screen is, as well. I don't know how much you leave it unplugged, but do you know how long approximately you get on battery just browsing the internet? If I get one it's primary use will probably be taking notes in class/SSH sessions so I'm curious

Like, it's uncomfortable to have in your lab on a hot day, but it's doable. I doubt you'd notice from above, i.e. the keyboard, and it's certainly not hot enough to melt your table or anything like that. Where are you pulling that 52C from? I'll download CPU-Z or something and check the temps. I don't think we've once run down the battery, it can take at least 3-4 hours in Civ 5, but I'll have her do an experiment and let it run down and see how long it lasts.

Ninja edit: fans are very quiet.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm trying to give away my old laptop (a Gateway EC1437) which hasn't been touched in maybe 6 months. I just reinstalled Windows 7 only to find that the hardware Wifi switch seems to be stuck. At least, it doesn't know it has a Wifi adapter and sliding the Wifi switch back and forth doesn't do anything. Any ideas here?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Long shot, but does anyone know if the Lenovo ThinkPad 11e (non-Chromebook) has upgradeable RAM, and whether it has one slot or two?

I'm posting from a Yoga 11e Chromebook, but I ran into a bug where ChromeOS cannot handle suspend/resume with an SD card, meaning you can't really run crouton from an SD card without disabling power management. There are some cheap Windows edition of this on Lenovo Outlet so I might trade.

The RAM and SSD on the Chromebook version are not upgradeable but soldered on. However, on the Lenovo site, they use the term "SODIMM" to describe the RAM on the Windows version, whereas this is not used in the Chromebook version. Does SODIMM imply that it is not soldered on?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Get her a 23" monitor she can use at her primary desk and see if she still wants a 17" laptop.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't know if it's the right Chromebook for you specifically, but it doesn't seem to be on people's radar so I want to mention it: the Lenovo Thinkpad 11e. It's a Thinkpad so it's super sturdy, metal hinges, with a fantastic keyboard. The regular version is $300 at the Lenovo Outlet. There's also a Yoga edition, that has a touchsceen that folds back 180 degrees. They both are 1366x768 unfortunately, but the Yoga is IPS and looks gorgeous. It's ~ $450 through the Barnes and Gold portal.

It's chunky rather than sleek but I much prefer that aesthetic--I think a laptop needs to be fairly expensive to pull off sleek.

It may be also worth mentioning that there are Windows versions of these as well. Right not I have the Yoga Chromebook and the non-Yoga Windows edition and I'm trying to decide which to keep.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

/\ /\ Yeah that sounds like a no-brainer. If he doesn't want something so nice, he can probably sell it afterward. Make sure that doesn't count as insurance fraud I guess.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Good point. I could use another chromebook or a tablet as a second monitor for the first chromebook?

If you're comfortable going into dev mode on your chromebooks, you can use a program called synergy to control one machine's keyboard/mouse with the other. If the Chromebooks are next to each other it's pretty close to using it as a second monitor, although you won't be able to drag and drop stuff across. It's pretty nifty, I use it with my 11e Thinkpad Chromebook and my desktop at work/school because I like typing on my Chromebook's keyboard (and yes, I like the touchpad with double-tap to right click also).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Chromebooks would be great if I could use Zotero with it. Or is there a better free way to do citations.

I use Zotero on my Chrombook, via crouton (Ubuntu in a chroot). Works fine if you're willing to get crouton set up, mess around on the command line, etc.