Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I'm looking towards getting a new laptop, and I've always had decent luck with Dell, but it seems like they're not very well liked anymore? Is the main concern the plastic vs. metal chassis? I'm not really too concerned about price (ideally less than $1000), but are there any other major flags to look out for? I don't really plan to game on it other than casual 2D stuff and I can't really tell from their site what panels are IPS vs. TN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

P.N.T.M. posted:

If the screen type isn't directly stated, look for mentions of the viewing angles. Anything around 170 is an IPS display.

Metal chassis laptops are really important to people who are on-the-go and need that extra durability. Dell does it right and gets love in the thread, but their prices are never as low as what you can get from Lenovo using the :siren:B&N Gold Link:siren: in the OP. For $1000, you can swing a few ways.

What is your use-case? Do you travel a lot? Are there any screen sizes you prefer?

I don't travel a lot but it would be nice to have something that did travel well. It would mostly be used for mobile internet access and media streaming in the long term. Short term I need something with an HDMI port to attach to my home theater so I can play 2d coop Steam games on my TV from the couch.

Looking at that B&N link, the Yoga13 seems like it could be a pretty solid choice too with a similar price range. Has pretty nice specs and the HDMI out I would want, plus the bonus of SSD. It seems highly recommend here too. Are there any major downsides to it?

BitterAvatar fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 24, 2014

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Re: Yoga 13 vs. Yoga 2 Pro.

Is it pretty much a no-brainer to go with the 4th gen Intel chips in the Yoga 2 vs. the Yoga 13? I don't expect to do anything too terribly taxing on it besides light 2D gaming and video streaming, so is the extra cost of the newer processor worth it? I can't see much else of a difference besides the Yoga 2's insane resolution.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

P.N.T.M. posted:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd that's alll folks

Yoga 2 Pro has a newer processor, a sick rear end 3k screen and better battery life*

*Which is promptly used up to power that 3k screen so it can properly display yellows.

So is this problem with yellows only an issue when using that massive resolution? If you kept it down at something lower the issue goes away?

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

P.N.T.M. posted:

This comes up every time someone orders from Lenovo. Here's the deal:

You are ordering an electronic device from China. It will take a month. They will dick you around with the estimate 2 or 3 times. They will give you a conservative estimate, a "your lucky day" estimate and an estimate that isn't far from the actual day of arrival. I can't tell you what order those estimates will be given to you, just don't go crazy when they switch up the ETA on you.

Is this in reference to the listed "ships in..." date on their website or actual shipping times? If it says that it ships in 3 days that's just a crapshoot?

I ask because I planned to likely order one on Feb 1/2 with the plan to have it before Feb 26. Is that a foolish hope?

BitterAvatar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I ended up ordering one of the Yoga 2 Pro's from Lenovo's B&N site yesterday morning and it shipped today! So if you're terrified of the long shipping time it's not 100% of the time.