Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I've read through the OP and still wanted to get some opinions.
I currently have an Asus UL80VT which is a Core2Duo @ 1.3ghz with 4GB of ram running Windows 8 64 bit. I originally upgraded to Windows 8 even though not supported on this model because I had some grand designs to make Windows 8 applications.

Anyways, I'm a fan of the Lenovo builds, and how solid they feel.

My general use case is taking notes, programming (14" feels too small for this with Visual Studio 2012 as I'm used to dual monitors for my work setup), some light gaming (nothing new generally, maybe some older MMOs). I kind of want an IPS panel though.

Is there a Thinkpad with the solidness/reliability of the T series that meets these criteria? What size should I be looking at if 14" feels too cramped but I also want to be able to take notes and program in class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Weinertron posted:

Did you read the OP? You described what any current laptop in the world will do, including chromebooks and small tablets. 4GB is now the standard amount of RAM, with 8GB as a larger option. Youtube and facebook are really low demands and any modern processor can handle them comfortably. You say that she needs a fast processor, what would this be for?

Will she be saving video on this laptop? Video, games, or .RAW photos from a DSLR are the only things that take up significant amount of hard drive space. If she is really willing to spend $700, then a T430 would be a really excellent laptop but it also sounds like significant overkill for her. My mom has a $300 terrible consumer Dell Inspiron and she loves it, so if requirements are really low then any machine will do.

Really, for youtube, facebook, email and browsing a $200 Nexus 7 tablet would work. It even has the 2GB of RAM!
I posted earlier in the thread and based on advice given and the OP I was considering a Thinkpad T530 series but it seems like power and price overkill for what my wife would need it for, so I'm in the same boat as the person you quoted. Access to MS Word is a deal breaker since my wife is an English teacher and while a Chromebook would seemingly be perfect, lackluster editing options for Google Docs won't cut it. I thought about a Surface RT but once you add the type cover, the price starts to creep closer to a Thinkpad anyways.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Brut posted:

Well you're also looking for a laptop larger than a 14 inch which you said feels cramped, with a 15+ inch are you planning to spring for a 1920x1080 screen? If not, 1600x900 at 14 and 15 inch is the same screen real estate and unless your vision is terrible should be fine with a T430. (But wait for a T440 unless you're in a hurry)
Well, I could probably go smaller than 14" as my wife's current broken laptop is under 12" and a netbook. I unfortunately can't wait, I need it before August 20th.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Uziel posted:

I posted earlier in the thread and based on advice given and the OP I was considering a Thinkpad T530 series but it seems like power and price overkill for what my wife would need it for, so I'm in the same boat as the person you quoted. Access to MS Word is a deal breaker since my wife is an English teacher and while a Chromebook would seemingly be perfect, lackluster editing options for Google Docs won't cut it. I thought about a Surface RT but once you add the type cover, the price starts to creep closer to a Thinkpad anyways.
We went to Best Buy and tried a bunch of different options: Chromebook, Nexus 7, Surface RT, Surface Pro and a Yoga 11S. My wife fell in love with the Yoga 11S. She kind of liked the XPS12 but was concerned with the flip screen and cost compared to the Yoga.

Is the Yoga a Haswell? If not, does anyone know if it would be refreshed at the same time as the ThinkPad line?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

This seems like a really good deal, right?
Lenovo Y50 Core i7 15.6" 1080p gaming laptop with GeForce GTX 860M, 16GB RAM for $939
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...Bargains&NID=CJ

I wish that they had the option for just a SSD though.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

So I'm looking for something that can be mobile and used on my lap (like in a car), but can also sit in tablet mode in off to the side and isn't huge for when I don't need to type. I thought the Surface would work as I loved the idea of the keyboard being out of the way and not taking up space when not needed, but after trying the keyboard I wasn't a fan. I was then looking at some of the 2-in-1 Yogas, but wasn't sure if there were better options, as I saw that Dell has an XPS 11 2-in-1 for $599 (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/dealmaster-get-a-dell-xps-11-2-in-1-ultrabook-for-599-99-over-half-off/). I do see that a Yoga 3 with a touch screen would be $900ish.

My uses are mostly Google Docs with lots of typing and needing a mouse, playing some occasional Hearthstone, and watching downloaded media. I do plan on getting a mobile broadband card as well. I already have a Chromebook but it takes up too much space as a regular laptop for when I just want it sitting on my desk.

I am concerned with resolutions greater than 1080p also.

Any thoughts?

Uziel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 15, 2015

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

It has a limited eMMC drive, there is about 12GB free. apart from that limitation I have been able to install whatever I want. (runs windows 8).

Edit: Best buy has them on display if you want to go look at it.
Can you easily replace the eMMC drive? I am looking to replace my ancient laptop with a desktop + small/fast/light laptop that needs to be able to run Visual Studio/SQL Management Studio in emergencies and I don't think ~12gb of free space is going to cut it.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Not a chance.
Oh well, back to dreaming about an XPS13. =(

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

For someone that wants an Ultrabook with a 256SSD and 8gigs of ram, is there a better deal than than ASUS Zenbook for $599 + tax (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-Zenbook-UX305FA-USM1-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.313303100)?

I think I'd love the XPS13 but I have to wonder if the price difference is worth it. I don't care about touch, and I want 1080p and not some ultra resolution. The Zenbook was like $520 earlier today but they were quickly out of stock.

My current laptop is ancient: Core 2 Duo 1.3Ghz, 4gigs of ram and a slow 5400 hard drive.

Uziel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 24, 2015

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

mad_Thick posted:

For the price point, I was thinking between:

Refurb'ed Lenovo x250 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...=item4198ecf496
- Still has warranty to 2019

Or brand new Asus Zenbook http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-Zenbook-UX303LA-US51T-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.313371600

They're roughly the same price and specs. I hear amazing things about Lenovo Thinkpads and the X series. I do not know too much about the Zenbook though. I imagine the x250 is more sturdy and has a better trackpad and keyboard. I would feel a bit more confident taking the x250 with me everyday to class, compared to the Zenbook, which though sexy, looks fragile.
I'm basically in the same boat except I wouldn't be taking it to class. I'm concerned about the crappy x250 resolution though!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

So for $500-$600 budget, is a refurb Lenovo S1 Yoga from the Outlet by best bet (http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/20CDX05200/445)? I keep looking for the Asus Zenbook to be back in stock in the Microsoft Store (With their $100 coupon, it would be $599.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

That looks really good to me but I'm not a good source. Anyone know if the S1's suck or not?
Yeah, I thought the same thing! I'd love to hear some opinions of the S1!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

$550 for a used Lenovo T530 with 8gb ram and a 128gb SSD is a good deal right?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

so-so. 1080p screen I hope.
I'm asking! It's from a private party so I can negotiate. If 1080p what should I offer?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Hmm I'm not seeing anything. It is 1080p so I may offer $500?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Is the zenbook showing in stock for you? It always shows out of stock every time I look!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Any thoughts on which outlet/used/refurb models to look at if its solely a cheap option to run WoW at minimum settings? It literally needs to do nothing else.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Is this a good deal? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B16MXLU/
I bought a Lenovo 100S with Windows 10 and it couldn't handle Gmail. Typing had a 1-2 second delay, so I'm returning it today.

Uziel fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 4, 2016

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

The N2940 in that thing is a variant on the Atom that's in the 100S, same chip really but with more thermal headroom. If you're concerned about processor capabilities you should probably keep looking, because it will be faster but not a lot.
I was thinking the added ram and faster SSD would be the bigger benefit? Like I literally only need Gmail, Inbox, and Google Docs. I've used Chromebooks before but they seem to get pricey rather fast when you want more RAM, etc.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

etalian posted:

Dell XPS 15 is what I would recommend especially since you find older 9560 refurbs online in the $1200-1300.

For Budget:
Under $1000 Dell XPS 13
Over $1000-$1500 Dell XPS 15 9560 Refurb
Is there an equivalent recommendation for Lenovo right now? My ancient ThinkPad just died and I need something ASAP!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

etalian posted:

Don't have hands on familiarity with Lenovo but the Thinkpad X1 carbon has gotten pretty decent reviews overall especially the praise for the panel quality.
I generally connnect to external monitor and use laptop screen as a secondary so that’s not a concern. I do use it when traveling a few days a month though!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Depends on what your graphics needs are. There's no Thinkpad equivalent to the GTX1050 XPS 15, unfortunately.

If you want a GPU but it doesn't have to be beefy, the T480s is really nice.

It sounds like you should get the X1 Carbon, though. It's mad light while still being milspec and having the keyboard and trackpad quality and port selection you're used to. And since you only use the screen a few times a month, you can get it from Costco! Their config comes with the basic 1080p screen and bitchin Costco support/warranty.

Perfect! Do they generally carry it in stores?! Also, what's the cost? Not currently a member, but I will drive to Costo and get it if the price is right.

Uziel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 17, 2018

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Chemical Shift posted:

I bought this in store last night from Costco after returning the T480 I ordered. I don't know if there was something wrong with it but the screen looked really washed out and the Track pad was grainy.

I love this thing. It's thin and light to an extreme degree (to me, at least, upgrading from a 2011 X230). The screen looks fantastic to me even though it's the basic 1080p version. It zipped through some stFFTs and phase coherence calculations in Matlab so quickly I couldn't believe it. It's just my first day using it but I'm extremely happy. I also mostly connect it to external monitors, and only use the screen here and there. I suggest you go check it out and see if you like it. Costco also had an XPS 13 with a 4k screen at the same price, but since I'm in academia I didn't want to be in dongle hell.

It's listed at $1499, I paid ~1600 after taxes and fees in California. Obviously taxes vary, but I'd expect something around that for the final price.
I bought it last night also! Thanks all for the help

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Looking for some help picking a laptop for work. My company is buying but didn't give me a budget other than "Let me know what it costs". Not sure how to interpret that.

I'm partial to Lenovo. My current laptop is sitting on my desk connected to a big monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. It's a Lenvo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th, Core i7-855U 1.8Ghz, 16gb of LPDDR3 memory.
It's really starting to show its age with my new job.

I typically have a ton of programs open: SQL Workbench, Slack, Visual Studio Code, multiple browsers logged into multiple tabs for testing and support of our custom web-app. I sometimes do some light gaming and I'd love to play this game but my current laptop chokes running it. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1000360/Hellish_Quart/

I checked the OP and it seems super out of date. Are there still any good Lenovo codes? I looked and I don't see configurable ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 laptops with Tiger Lake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks!
Should I care about 10th gen vs 11th gen for Intel at all?