Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
What happened to the Zbook 15 that was announced/"released"/whatever yesterday? HPs site doesn't even have the tech specs anymore, but there are cached copies floating around. Are there supposed to be shipping "today"?

I need a new laptop for work by the end of the month, in the desktop replacement/workstation class. It looks like the Zbook is the first of these to be released with Haswell, with the Thinkpad W540 and T540p not shipping until November. I do CPU-heavy work that needs a bunch of RAM (16GB+), but don't need any sort of GPU beyond what's needed to render the desktop. The more pixels the better, in a 15"ish screen. IT seems to be steering me towards HP or Lenovo. Will likely be running some flavour of Linux on it.

The HP Elitebook 8570w seems to have thermal issues causing the CPU to throttle.
The T540p looks about right but it's shipping way too late. Same deal with the W540, but I don't want/need the GPU in there.

Is the Zbook my only real option? Anything else I should be looking at? How are Clevo-based laptops these days? Worth trying to get something like a Gazelle from System76?

edit: Finally found ordering info for the Zbook on the HP site, $2600 for a 4800MQ-based, 1920x1080 laptop without an SSD. That's seriously into top-spec rMBP territory.

spoof fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I don't really need the battery life. It'll mostly be lugged around and plugged in. Mostly trying to get as much CPU performance as I can get. Needing to get the older models when the new ones are right on the cusp is probably irking me more than it should. The W530 is basically what I need though, but I'd trade that GPU for a better screen.

Hitting 12GB in some workloads right now, so will probably need the ability to go to 32GB down the road (next year?).

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is there anything that's not a Clevo with a 45W (Ivy) or 47W (Haswell) CPU and without a discrete GPU? None of the current Thinkpad T series seem to fit the bill, the W has a GPU, the Inspiron E6540 has an AMD GPU, all of the Elitebooks seem to have GPUs, ditto Zbooks.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I think there are two of us with roughly similar requirements, but I'm the one that wants it by the end of the month. Feels like I'm about a month too early for not only Haswell, but higher than 1080p screens. The m4800 with qhd starts shipping October 1.

On a related note, check out the price deltas between the us and Canadian Dell sites. Base m4800 starts at 2026 and the cheapest qhd for 3106.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Edit: double post from phone

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Boner Slam posted:

I think the Latitude, according to notebookcheck, may not handle the CPU heat very well. But I don't know what "stress test" really means in this instance, maybe it's unrealistically running all four cores at 100% for two hours. Or maybe it really has a throttling problem which may become visible in practice.

One man's unrealistic is another man's daily workload. Sounds like my use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

What's the word on the t540? I haven't seen anything much about it and doubt my mom would care a lot about the trackpoint changes.

T540p is shipping in November. haven't heard anything about a non-p.