Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Hi Thread, I'm looking for a Laptop in the budget of £500-£1000 (can go a little higher), mostly for making managing emails, documents and web browsing easier when im not near a desktop. Phone browsing is fine for short trips but anything longer the small screen size is kind of killing me (even if I bring a bluetooth keyboard). If it could handle some very light old games that'd be neat but i'm really mainly looking for making my browsing experience a little better.

Am I the one person for whom a chromebook is a good idea?

I have an old (2014 model?) chromebook someone gave me, and it's good for just browsing the web and not much else. Anything that has a web interface can also be decent with it—I've edited some word docs just fine—but otherwise don't expect much from a productivity standpoint. Oh, and I've used the chrome remote desktop app to play some visual novels through it before. That's about the most you can expect from a gaming standpoint.

I guess they added android app support at some point, but my model is too old and never received that feature, so I don't know what that's like.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The main benefit of chromebooks is that they're dirt cheap. If you're paying more than $300 for one, then you're doing it wrong (and you can get much cheaper than that if you really want). They're crappy little netbooks that let you stream video, shitpost, and chat from bed or on trains in a form factor that isn't as terrible as phones or tablets. If your budget is £500-£1000, then you can get something far better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seamonster posted:

I'd do a repaste with some high end stuff like Kyronaut first. You can set the turbo behavior with something like Thottlestop or whatever that Intel utility is called.

Just be careful where you buy that stuff from. Newegg seems like a minefield with lots of duplicate entries, many of which seem to be selling cheap, fake paste. There are reports of fake paste being sold on Amazon too. If you pick up Kryonaut from Amazon, I recommend looking into the other sellers list and buying only from sellers listed on Thermal Grizzly's website.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

You buy this for a desktop:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...T&skuId=6455823

Plus $150 for a 1tb NVME

That case looks like a hotbox, and the reviews confirm it. It comes with a single fan working as exhaust, where it's probably pulling most of its air through the top vents. At a bare minimum, you'd need to add a front intake fan. I would probably do that in the bottommost front slot to give the gpu a little support, and then replace the CPU cooler with a top-mounted AIO water cooler since the front panel seems so restrictive (additional intake fans probably won't provide much extra air). But now we're talking about adding $100 to the cost of a prebuilt that's supposed to just work on its own. It might still be worth it. Equally bad looking 3070 prebuilts on newegg are going for $1650 or more with worse CPUs, so this may be a comparatively decent deal anyway. Note that in normal times, I would expect these kinds of systems to go for $1400 or less, but gaming laptops are seeing the same kind of cost inflation so nothing new there.

edit: actually it looks like the motherboard is way too close to the top of the case, so the top-mounted AIO config is out.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 15, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A "supercharged" switch is putting it lightly. The specs are several times more powerful than the Switch's. You can think of it more as a portable Series S with about half to a third as much processing power. It uses largely the same SoC architecture as the Series consoles (Zen 2 + RDNA2), but with slower(maybe?) LPDDR5 instead of GDDR6. The Series S targets 1080p for framerate modes and 1440p for quality modes, so a 720p target makes sense for the Steam Deck, and it seems achievable for contemporary AAA games at medium-ish settings... if they get native Linux ports, and maybe take advantage of SteamOS APIs. I have my doubts about the games coming out over the next several years, however.

Its actual competitor isn't the Switch, though, but portable PCs like the GPD-Win, Aya Neo, ONEXPLAYER, etc. It seems a bit more powerful than those, with better-looking control interfaces and what will assumingly be a better fit and finish (the aforementioned devices can feel amateurish, because they largely are by amateurs), and at a cheaper cost despite all that. It's a very nifty device, and anyone who ever eyeballed one of those handheld PCs before should definitely be looking long and hard at the Steam Deck. It just seems like a much better one of those for much less. I tossed in a $5 reservation and got put a few months back in the queue, so if the early impressions are that it sucks I'll just cancel it. No sweat off my back.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arbite posted:

I'm looking for a real budget-rear end laptop that will run websites and email and not much else in Windows for a relative.

https://www.costco.ca/.product.1454335.html

Would this work?

If it's literally just for web browsing and email, and if that email has a web client, then get a chromebook. You can get features like touch screens and invertibility for under $500 USD. edit: They also have android app support, but i barely use that feature so I'm not sure how robust it is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 22, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrianRx posted:

Is the GPU shortage affecting laptops?

Yes, though not as severely. NVidia is producing a decent chunk of laptop GPUs, miners can't cheat their way up the supply chain and buy direct from distributors as easily, and scalpers aren't really scalping laptops. That said, supply issues still exist, and gaming laptops seem to be up 20% or so from where they should be.

BrianRx posted:

What can $1000 get you in the gaming laptop market?

At that price range, you're probably getting either a a 1660 or a 3050 Ti machine, such as this one. The 3050 Ti appears to be better than the 1660 provided you don't exceed the small 4GB vram budget, which is kind of easy to do in some games. Performance suffers quite a bit when that happens, but you can work around that by tweaking the settings (often the texture resolution settings). You may also be able to find used or open box 2060 machines for around $1000, and those provide about equivalent performance to the 3050 Ti without the massive dropoff in vram-hungry games.

I think I would ultimately encourage your friend to try to scrounge together a few hundred more dollars for a 3060 laptop. That will get you a much better and more consistent level of performance that will last longer into the future than any of the other GPUs mentioned. Unfortunately the price increase going up to the 3060 is quite sharp, though you can save one or two hundred bucks if you're willing to go open box or refurbished. (best buy has an "excellent condition" open box 3060 HP Omen for $1350, for example).

edit: And yeah, if he's not planning on doing anything fancy with it and is only playing low-spec stuff, then he could get away with a cheaper 1650 laptop, like this thing for $650. I recommend looking at the benchmarks from the Jarrod's Tech youtube channel. He's tested a ton of laptops.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 11, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrianRx posted:

drat dude/ette/x, you have been extremely helpful to me in the past week. I really appreciate it.

I'll take your advice and recommend to him to hold off and wait on a few more paychecks. He spends a lot of time on job sites and in hotels, so it's basically his only line to the outside world. It seems like the most important thing to him is that it will last a while, so the risk (or inevitability) of getting choked by a lack of VRAM would probably not be a good idea. I've only built desktops, but I imagine swapping GPUs down the road is not a realistic option. I'll look into 3060 machines, but if he were to scrounge up $1500, would things be considerably different in terms of longevity of the machine?

Nothing too insane. I think he mostly plays coop with me. We've played a lot of Rocket League, Valheim, Sniper Elite 4, Dead Army whatever, the Forest, Green Hell, and the Division 2. I know he's looking forward to Icarus, but I haven't been paying attention to it and don't know how demanding it will be. I've maxed everything on that list with my crappy GPU with 2GB of VRAM, but I have a high tolerance for low frame rates and probably shouldn't be used as a benchmark.

Thanks. :)

Here's a cheap 3060 option at $1150, emphasis on cheap: https://www.newegg.com/shale-black-...&quicklink=true

A video highlighting a flaw that seems to only be serious in the Intel version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSlNPBsLtTA

Could be worth it anyway at the lower than average price it's going for, and is likely an easier pill to swallow than $1500. And it's fixable with better RAM, which would still be a cheaper option than buying a $1500 3060 laptop. A full review with thermal testing and poo poo is coming later I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

1060 was unusually cheap but yeah, there's still a price premium on silicon. Most 3060 laptops are built better than 1060's were in 2017 though too.

Here's another cheap MSI option ($1200). I'd definitely look to upgrade RAM, otherwise this is probably significantly better than a Nitro imo

https://www.newegg.com/core-black-msi-gf-series-gf65-thin-10ue-092-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155717

That runs into the same problem as the lovely Intel Acer Nitro where it has just a single crummy 8GB stick of RAM, so I would actually expect it to be worse than the AMD Acer Nitro.

edit: The Acer Nitro 5 also runs its 3060 at a higher max TDP (95W) than the GF65 (65W), so yeah.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 11, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phraggah posted:

Hi thread, I haven't bought a laptop in almost a decade and would love some general recommendations! My T430 from ’12 is quite unable to run almost anything anymore. Thinking $1000ish is ideal but I could increase for good value.

My top priority is build quality and reliability. It'll be my only device for a few weeks and I don't want to worry about it. So refurbs, etc wouldn't be my first choice unless it really doesn't make a difference.

Will be gaming, targeting smooth performance on newish games like RDR2, X4 modded (ram heavy, 4gb gpu standard on desktop) at medium. Could be convinced to target higher settings if the pricing makes more sense.

Some light traveling involved every few weeks. Nothing crazy, but it won't be sitting on a desk it's whole life. That being said, I'm willing to compromise on weight and bulk for good performance/cooling/price.

Nice to haves are >13” quality screen, good peripheral numbers, expandable ram.

I'm also extremely close to a microcenter if it helps.

Looking to have it before the 25th.

Thanks in advance all!

The last page or so has had a discussion on this exact topic ($1000 gaming laptop), and the long-and-short of it is that what you're hoping for doesn't really exist due to the price inflation we've been seeing in the laptop market lately. In order to get smooth performance with recent titles, you'll probably want a 3060, which starts at around $1200 for the low-end models like the MSI GF65 or the Acer Nitro 5. I've found comprehensive reviews of both at notebook check, albeit with different CPU/RAM configurations: MSI GF65 10UE Review, Acer NItro 5 AN515-55 Review.

The configurations being reviewed are favorable towards the GF65 (the reviewed GF65 gets much more RAM while the one available for $1200 has 8GB in single channel mode, and the reviewed Nitro 5 has a much worse CPU than the one available for $1150). Even in these favorable conditions, the GF65 falls behind in gaming performance in their benchmarks. I can only surmise that the actual models available at our price range would give the Nitro 5 an even more significant advantage. This is due to the GF65 running its GPU at a lower power level. The Nitro 5 also appears to have a slightly better screen (though both seem kinda meh). Its biggest downside is that it gets real toasty, much warmer than the GF65 (as Lockback suspected). The $1150 model on newegg with the 5600H has a more thermally efficient CPU though, so that may help.

The tl;dr is that I think you'll have to spend a little bit more money than $1000 to get good performance, and that despite Lockback's objection, I think the Nitro 5 might be the best buy in that price range. My alternative suggestion will be this Lenovo Legion 5 with a 3050 Ti for $1000 (deal ending on the 16th). Here's a video review showing its performance compared to a 1660 Ti laptop. It really struggles on some titles, and those struggles will only get more frequent as games get more VRAM hungry. The performance difference between that and either 3060 laptop above will be much bigger than the price difference, but it's up to you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

Best Buy students has the 14" G14 for $1,350
https://slickdeals.net/f/15209596-m...teSearchV2Algo1

I have the 2060 version and it should hit the perf targets you're looking for and also be hella portable. I think you can get the Legion 15" for around the same price bracket, which is also a very nice gaming laptop (some differences from the G14, both good and bad imo, but they largely wash). The HP Omen is another good choice and can sometimes be found

This HP Omen is also a good deal for $1200
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-laptop-15-en1097nr

I'd lean toward the G14/Legion being worth an extra ~200 especially if you keep your laptops for a decade, but the Omen is nice too.

Last I saw, the Omens were going for more. I wasn't aware that there were $1200 3060 Omens that low. Then yeah, disregard my previous post since the Omen's gonna be a lot better than either of those, haha. The Omen is also higher TDP than the G14, so if you want to maximize your price to performance value, then that's the one to get. I have a few friends with the 2021 models and they're quite happy with them (though the bottom can get a little hot)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The CPUs in each came out in the same year, though. That said, I'd still pick the intel one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 5, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The mobile 1660 Ti can handle FF14 at max settings more than adequately (like, 90 to 120 fps at 1080p from what I'm seeing), so I wouldn't spend any extra if that's the most graphically intensive thing she's planning on playing on it. Its biggest issue will be the 8GB of single-channel memory (and knowing Lenovo, 8gbit memory modules instead of 16gbit). I don't expect that to be a problem for your wife's intended purposes though. And if it is, memory is easily replaceable on Lenovo laptops.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you don't play recent games then I'm not sure what "the coming years" means to you, but the mobile 1650 is not likely to cope well with upcoming AAA games. The 1660 Ti is quite a bit faster (~50% faster) while not adding much to the cost from what I can tell, so laptops with that GPU give you more bang for the buck. This is the cheapest 1660 Ti laptop on Newegg, and it's just a little bit more than the cheapest 1650 Ti laptops.

The 1650 would be just fine for playing your steam backlog and some newer indie games, so you'd be justified in saving the extra money and going with that if that's all you're aiming for, but it's not what I'd personally go with if I wanted something that might have a bit more longevity.

Also for Jedi425, the laptop I linked to is the AMD version of the one you were considering. It's $40 less, and from what I can tell the performance between the AMD and Intel chips puts intel just a little bit ahead while AMD is ahead on power efficiency. Seems like it's probably worth the lower price? I'm not sure if last-gen AMD CPUs have any hidden pitfalls or anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I buy a Razer Blade?

My current laptop runs like complete poo poo and now that I'm back to commuting to work I need a portable computer that doesn't do that.

My thinking is that if I'm gonna get a new one might as well get one that can also be a gaming upgrade to my 5-yo desktop with a 1070 just in case WFH ends up happening again because of new Pandemic twist, so it doesn't feel like a waste

If the Razer Blade is a swindle that just reeled me in because of their E3 presentation, what is an actual good option for a 30XX laptop

Do not buy any Razer product aside from their mice. Razer Blades in particular are known to be under-performers, have lovely software, and terrible screens. They're overpriced garbage.

The Lenovo Legion (high-TDP), HP Omen (mid-TDP), Asus Zephyrus (TDP varies based on laptop size) are all decent gaming laptops that come with some level of recommendation by this thread.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 16, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The trick here is to do the DIY version. $750 barebones kit, the $18 wi-fi card, $50 500GB NVMe, $60 for 16gb of DDR4-3200, $15 for a Win10 Pro key off SA Mart, and you're looking at $893 for a better package than the $1000 preconfigured option.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

$500 mail in rebate + $700 discount available for this 3080 Laptop with a 4K AMOLED screen from Gigabyte, bringing it down to $1800: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168342...A3A&ignorebbr=1

It's apparently a pretty decent laptop. It has Max Q specs and I'm getting mixed messages on whether it has a Mux switch—I think it shipped without one but it was added in an update at some point? Don't quote me on this. Still, $1800 is good for a 3080 laptop of any spec, especially one with a 4K OLED screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 24, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They do not advertise a refresh rate, which means it's 60Hz. I don't believe it supports VRR. A lot of laptops don't, actually, since Optimus gets in the way of that.

4K is a tough resolution to hit, and the lack of VRR means that the framerate dips you will encounter are going to be more noticeable. On the other hand, it's an OLED. 60Hz on it will be clearer than on any LCD, and HDR should be pretty sweet on it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 26, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edward IV posted:

This video suggests that you'll want at least a RTX 3060 Ti to get a more significant boost compared to the internal GPU since the regular RTX 3060 they tested only nets a 10% improvement in average FPS when testing with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdFRxglCD0k

These results seem to indicate that performance is being heavily bottlenecked by the CPU, and buying a beefier eGPU will be a very inefficient way to go about things. The desktop 3060 is a significantly more powerful GPU than the 3050 Ti, and it is capable of averaging well over 100fps on the highest preset in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I feel like getting a beefier eGPU for a surface laptop will see gains greatly diminished from the GPU's actual potential.

edit: Also this Jarrod's Tech video shows the 3050 Ti averaging 87 FPS on the High preset (and even the mobile 3060 getting over 100), for a comparison to another laptop. So it's safe to assume they're using a lower power profile, but that is almost a 33% downgrade. The surface laptop studio clearly has other issues when it comes to gaming, and I don't know how helpful an eGPU will really be. This just ain't what the laptop is meant for, clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2FkgeTZpzY&t=377s

(timestamp 6:15)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 12, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Many games are bad about recognizing multiple monitors and letting you choose, though most new AAA games are okay about it. For games that don't give you an option, they'll always launch on your "primary" display, and you can configure which display that is in the windows display settings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You don't need to run specific programs on specific monitors or anything, the monitors aren't that segmented or anything. When it's working correctly, you'll see two separate desktops, and you're supposed to be able to freely move windows around as you please between them. Try hitting win + P and clicking "Extend" in the popup that comes up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are frequently deals that can net you a perfectly good chromebook for around $200 that will do 1080p video without an issue. I wouldn't go much cheaper than that, though. Most of the cheaper ones are 768p, for one. I use a chromebook for basic web browsing and video watching from bed (which I'm using right now), and it's a device perfectly suited to this role, in my opinion. They are cheap, yes, but there's also no reason to overspend if what you want out of the device is so basic.

edit: I'm assuming the OP is asking for two different laptops. Obviously a chromebook ain't going to be playing any games beyond simple android stuff. I've taken a quick glance and I can't find any interesting deals on any low-end models I'd consider decent. This is very similar to the chromebook I have. A 2-core processor with 4GB of RAM sounds pathetic and it's certainly not impressive, but I haven't actually run into a webpage that it chokes on and it streams video perfectly smoothly, so it gets the job done. I'm happy with it, considering I got it open box for around $190.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 26, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

17.3" MSI GF75 Thin with an i7-10750H and a RTX 3060 for $1100 after rebate: https://www.newegg.com/core-black-m...A3A&ignorebbr=1

For when you want Big, but also Thin... It's a 75W power limit on the 3060, so it's not amazing but it should be pretty decent, especially for the price.

edit: I've been noticing more 3080 laptops being discounted to around $1800 lately. Another MSI deal, with an 11800H and a 130W 3080 (and a 1080p screen, but at least it's 240hz) for $1800 after rebate: https://www.newegg.com/core-black-msi-gp-series-gp66-leopard-11uh-032-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155852

And Best Buy has a deal on a 15" GF65 with a 3060 for $850: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gf...p?skuId=6456144

That's the lowest price I've ever seen for a new laptop with the 3060. It's max-q spec, but it's still pretty alright. The single-channel 8GB of ram is an issue, but toss in another stick and you're golden.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 1, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At the high end of that range (well, just above it) is this MSI GF65 with a 3060 for $850. This would be a seriously powerful machine capable of running even demanding AAA games at good frame rates (though you might want an extra stick of RAM if that's your aim). It sounds like it's more power than you need, though. Trying to find lower-end machines with a good price is honestly kind of frustrating because it seems like everyone's overcharging for low-end gaming laptops. The best I found is this Acer Nitro with a 1650 for $700: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...p?skuId=6467423

I think a laptop with a 1650 or 1660 GPU is what you're ultimately looking for. There may be some good deals during Black Friday, so keep an eye out. Also keep an eye out for the 3050 and 3050 Ti, though not if they cost much more than the 1660 laptops.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm unclear on if that means dx12 is disabled for everyone with a haswell CPU, or only those who are using the integrated graphics on one. If you're in the latter camp, I don't think you're doing much DX12 gaming anyway...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

Can I get a second opinion on this laptop please? Gf wants a laptop she can play games like Satisfactory on, maybe Diablo 2 resurrected.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6470819

Lockback posted:

Lenovo Slim 7 15.6" 3060 for $1300
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...black/6470819.p

Really good price and really good buy. BB has the Black Friday Price matching thing until January, in general I would doubt you will find a significantly better value on a gaming laptop this season.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think the minimum of what you're looking for is a modern gaming laptop with at least the RTX 3060, non-max-q version. That should be in the same ballpark as the GTX 1080, and gaming laptop CPUs should match a 7700K.

There's a pretty good black friday deal at best buy right now for the Asus ROG Zephyrus G15, 3070 version: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

Reviews are favorable for this laptop, and $1550 is a good price for those specs (in this market, anyway). The mobile 3070 is a bit better than the 1080 (closer to the 1080 Ti), the 5900HS beats the 7700K it seems (judging by a quick check of cinebench scores, though these are from different sources so take it with a grain of salt), and it has a 1440p screen which is quite nice.

edit: Best Buy frustratingly doesn't list the i/o, but according to asus' website:

quote:

1x 3.5mm Combo Audio Jack
1x HDMI 2.0b
2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A
2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C support DisplayPort™ / power delivery / G-SYNC
1x RJ45 LAN port
1x card reader (microSD)
The GPU can boost up to 100W which should take it to 1080 ti levels in theory.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 22, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm looking at a $250 or less chromebook for my dad who would mainly use it for emailing, news sites and YouTube. So far I'm seeing the HP 14, lenovo flex 3 (he also likes to draw so good for that maybe?) , Lenovo chromebook duet, S330. Any advice? If possible he would prefer a larger display I believe vs a tiny laptop he has a hard time with small keyboards

The HP 14 is just $200 at Costco: https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-chromebook-bundle---intel-celeron---1080p---bonus-sleeve-%2526-wireless-mouse.product.100793916.html

I have almost the same model, and it works perfectly for the things you've mentioned, though there's no touch screen. I don't know anything about the 360-degree hinge/touch screen ones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lenovo Legion 5 starting at $300 off ($1200 with a 3060), including this fun little (bugged?) option:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

I'm fairly sure OLED burn-in is something that is overblown in terms of concern for normal usage. Image-retention happens but isn't really anything to be concerned about, it looks scary and then a few minutes later it's gone. Or, yeah your screen might have faded spots after 5-6 years but for most people that is nearing the end of the life of a screen anyway.

A good reason why I am not worried is LG will sell you burn-in protection and a company making money on vague fears that aren't really true is a long standing corporate tradition.

edit: Gonna edit my post to be less argumentative, but I just want to say that I think this is a pretty drastic under-estimation of the risk of burn-in when it comes to using an OLED as a PC monitor. For light users or people who only ever watch video content or play video games, maybe. But if you do anything else with your computer, then you have to tailor the system and your habits to your display pretty heavily, and even then you're just minimizing the risk. 5 - 6 years seems extremely optimistic.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

What products with mux switches were they even comparing against? Until right now they've been virtually non-existent outside of some really obscure boutique poo poo.

They're not too uncommon anymore. Lenovo's gaming laptops all come with mux switches, for instance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's back to $1600. So yeah, must've been a pricing error. $1000 was a too-good-to-be-true price.

edit: Switching the storage to 512GB + 32GB Optane brings it back down to $989? Weird

edit 2: now it's fixed for all configurations.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 16, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My brother just bought an inspiron 💀

His old laptop was old and died from too much illegal stream site malware or whatever. he said he'd talk to me for recommendations in the afternoon, but he just came back from the best buy with a 16" inspiron with a 4K OLED screen. I know the thread doesn't like these laptops, but how bad is this thing if 90% of what you're doing on it is watching videos? I imagine there were more cost-efficient options, but it's not going to make him miserable or anything, is it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My brother just bought an inspiron 💀

Apparently he told the best buy employee that he didn't really play games on his laptop so that's what they gave him (it has an MX550), but I mentioned to him that he used to play TFT and league and poo poo on his laptop, and he was like, "Yeah, and I did like playing those first person shooters too..."

The fool. I probably would've had him get one of those asus or gigabyte oled laptops with an actual GPU so he could play warzone and poo poo (even a 3050 Ti would've been fine), but oh well. He seems happy enough with the new screen as it is, and he'll continue doing all of his gaming on a tablet. I can't comprehend it, but it's his life.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What kind of problems will I run into if I try to install stock Windows 11 onto an Inspiron instead of using Dell's factory restore process? I'm trying to fix my brother's laptop, and it's exhibiting serious issues even immediately after a factory reset, but they seem to all be software related, so I'm thinking dell's stock windows setup that's loving it up somehow. Basically, the laptop starts fairly responsive, but it quickly starts slowing down until eventually it's a crawl and there's like 70 - 100% cpu usage from "system interrupts" at which point it blue screens with a different message every time. I checked the temps and they're pretty good (all in the 50s), and this is immediately after a factory reset so there's no third-party stuff installed. I'm basically out of ideas outside of just installing a non-dellified version of windows, but i dunno what the best way of doing that is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I reinstalled Windows on it with a clean windows install just fine after loading the proper storage drivers onto the USB drive (it couldn't see any drives until I did that). Did an offline install, copied over the network drivers, download and installed all other necessary drivers. It was a bit of a pain, but on the plus side there's practically no bloat now. I still got a blue screen with a display-related error message after updating the Nvidia drivers, so I rolled those back and things seemed fine? The problem only started recently for my brother, so it may have been caused by the nvidia drivers. Still, I was paranoid enough to disable the lovely MX550 in there entirely in the device manager. Intel's integrated graphics on the 1260P are enough for what my brother does on it. After running various tests for an hour, things seem fine. Here's hoping the issue doesn't crop back up again.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 28, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

Wait, if it's got a 1260P it's from the last year and is surely still under warranty?

Yeah, but dealing with Dell support and going through the warranty process sounds like an absolute nightmare, so I wanted to see if I could fix it quickly here before telling my brother to do that. If any issues persist, then I'll just use dell's recovery media to reset it back to its original state and have my brother go through dell's warranty process.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Here's one about the 4090, which seems like a truly ridiculous laptop gpu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmxGhwltmU

It honestly might be too fast for a laptop gpu? Not even the 13950HX can keep up at 1440p in a lot of games. You clearly aren't getting the most out of this thing unless you hook it up to a 4K monitor or turn on ray tracing in everything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Anyone else curious as to if the ROG Ally's APU is going to be exclusive to that handheld or if they will also stuff it in a cheaper gaming laptop config?

The ROG Ally is using a modified Phoenix APU, which is a class of APU that is definitely coming to low-power laptops this month. Look for Ryzen 7040U or HS chips, with the second and fourth numbers designating their performance level (yeah it's dumb). U will be for ultra low power parts (15 - 28 watts) while HS will go up to 55W. The most powerful one known so far is the 7940HS, which will be 8 zen 4 cores and 12 RDNA3 CUs. The top U parts will have the same core/CU count but at lower clock speeds.

isndl posted:

What is the current outlook for laptops that can do light gaming, but inside a 100w power draw envelope? Light gaming would be anything I already play on my current laptop, which has a Vega M chip (roughly 1050 level of performance). 100w because if I want to break it out on a long train ride or plane flight the outlets will shut off if the draw is too high - my current 130w charger absolutely does, even if it's just the charging brick plugged in and not the laptop itself. If I can run things on a shared compact 65w charger with my phone to save weight all the better.

Honestly, see above. A phoenix-based laptop could be right for you, as they're expected to outperform the 1050 and get close to (or maybe surpass) the 1650.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This one's for bull3964, who was wanting a laptop with an soc like the one in the ROG Ally:

https://twitter.com/FrameworkPuter/status/1653769868578295808

The 7840U and the Z1 Extreme in the Ally are nearly identical.

There should be a lot more options appearing later this month. The 7840H will be the same thing basically but with a higher TDP.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 3, 2023