Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrust fault
Nov 3, 2004
ok
Are there any 15" laptops that I can play games like Civ VI and Valorant on medium/high settings, can run 2 or 3 VMs at a time, have good build quality, and don't have super loud fans that are always on?

I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y520 but the build quality is pretty poo poo, the main hinge is about to snap. The fans are also almost always on and are super loud, even after taking it apart and using compressed air to remove all the dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrust fault
Nov 3, 2004
ok

Lockback posted:

Run 2 or 3 VMs: This totally depends on the VMs, but I'm guessing you'll need 16GB? Maybe 32. You probably want something you can upgrade RAM in. You'll want a decent CPU.

Play Civ VI: Decent CPU here is most important, I'd also suggest a 1660ti or above. You don't strictly need it for Civ 6/Valorant but it'll give you lots of headroom for the next batch of games with moderate requirements. You might be ok with a 1650 or something though.

Build Quality: Yeah the Y520 sucks. I think Asus ROG has great build quality for the money. Gigabyte Auros is ok. MSI build quality isn't as great.

What's your budget? Ideally would be a Asus G14 for ~$1,500, though its probably overkill for gaming. GREAT build quality though. You'd use the Ryzen CPU though I think you'd want to add a 32GB RAM chip and bring it up to 40GB for the VMs (depending).

Thanks for this! Budget I was thinking of $1200 but could go as high as $1500 for high build quality.
G14 - are you referring to this?
Re RAM, are there issues having RAM lopsided, ie 8GB + 32GB?