Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Anyone have any experience with the Lenovo ideapad Y410p? I like the size and the specs, since I'll be using it for playing games. Ideally I'm looking to spend around $900. I've heard bad things about their customer service, but I use a thinkpad for work and like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

shrughes posted:

Beware that it has a glossy screen, but other than that, it has a good keyboard by "consumer-grade" standards and supposedly the trackpad isn't the best, but it works. I've heard it described as "clumsy". Also there's no Optimus, so good bye battery life.

Yeah I'm not overly stressed about the battery, it's going to live in the hotel(s). The build quality is lovely compared to the Thinkpad line I guess?

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

DrDork posted:

It is, but only to the extent that every consumer-grade laptop is. The Y410p (and the entire IdeaPad line) isn't going to live up to the build quality of a ThinkPad, but it's not any worse than most, and better than many. If you're considering it, though, you might as well consider other laptops of its type: there's no reason to prefer a non-ThinkPad Lenovo over other brands.

Also note that IdeaPad support it runs through Lenovo themselves (who aren't really any better or worse than most other companies--which is to say they're a pain to deal with), while ThinkPad support is run by IBM, who are obviously a lot better about most everything. So don't buy an IdeaPad and expect ThinkPad support--you'll be disappointed.

I was mostly impressed by the specs/price ratio, I hadn't seen that anywhere else yet. Thanks for the input.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I've had a Lenovo Y410p for a few weeks now and I thought I'd do a user review.

I bought it as a gaming desktop replacement since I travel a lot for work, and it works admirably at that. I have a pretty big steam library and it's managed to play everything I have at native resolution (1600x900) with med~high settings. This includes DOTA 2, the Witcher 2, Far Cry 3, Metro Last light etc. It gets hotter when playing games for awhile, but doesn't throttle or bluescreen or any other weirdness.

The display is fine, contrast is pretty good and viewing angles are decent, but it won't blow you away.

The battery life is shorter than the market average, I get about 4 hours unplugged if I'm surfing the internet or watching netflix. I haven't bothered trying to play games away from an outlet, but I would imagine the 750m would eat the battery. You might stretch the battery further if you used a lower brightness, but I run it pretty bright all the time.

I use an HP elitebook for work and that has a nice case, all metal frame with solid hinges. The y410p is plastic. The quality isn't crap, like an MSI or the entire sub $500 market, but it's a far cry from the business class notebooks out there.

The weight doesn't bother me, I carry it in the same bag I carry my work laptop in when I travel. I also lift weights as a hobby so take this with a grain of salt. It seems to be about as heavy as the HP Elitebook.

Overall I like the Y410p, it plays games well and is reasonably priced.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

sports posted:

To those about to drop real earth :tenbux: on a Clevo/Sager/Alienware/Lenovo W530-
I've never met a redeemable person who has bought this. The people in my classes with them tend to help the curve dramatically. Most heavy computing applications are taken up on a Air or MBP; or even one of the many, very tolerable non-Apple laptops available. I'm talking science and engineering grad school stuff; MHD simulations and Inventor and every other intensive thing imaginable.

Nobody needs the "power" outside of the realm of a laptop on the market today which reliably provides 11 hours of battery life. Would you rather run your game or whatever inefficiently made bit of software at ultra high settings for 45 minutes, all the while your laptop rapidly transforming into a teakettle at boil; or would you rather have a laptop that allows you to run that same bit of software at medium/mediocre settings for hours on end?

If you're looking at raw numbers provided by the industry, chances are there is a bit of misleading going on. If you're looking at numbers regarding speed and memory capacity, you're really off the mark, and should straighten out your priorities.

The whole point of a laptop is portability. Companies are doing there damnedest to make computing quick, elegant, and convenient so you don't have to spend so much time computing. It's really nice to have something that's small and light to leave in places, unencumbered by a charging cable, waiting for you to fiddle with it for a second before resuming something else.

If you need something for perpetual work, you should look at a desktop. Perpetual computer work sucks, and I do feel bad for those stuck in front of monitors. The good thing is that desktops are really quick and snappy and make an honest attempt at saving whomever sits in front of them some time.

Seriously though. Laptops today are capable of all day use without charge. So why do you guys constantly buy something that has the charge cycle of a Portege from 1998?

Because I spend fully half my time travelling for work and I don't want to compromise on gaming ability and give zero shits about portability beyond it's ability to be carried in a bag.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

sports posted:

Couldn't you spend time meeting people? No man is an island.

I recently spent 3 weeks at the site of an oil spill as part of the incident response crew. After working for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, all I wanted to do was unwind with some vids. The site was in the middle of nowhere in the arctic, I didn't go there for the culture. Thanks for insinuating I have no friends, for that is surely the only reason I want to play games while travelling.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Sendo posted:

Well apparently you're not a redeemable person.

So it seems.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Hadlock posted:

You may be better served by a console + HDMI cable if your travel involves hotel stays.

All those hotels in the arctic/woodland areas where oil spills happen. Did you read my previous comment or does everyone here troll mobile PC gamers?

Gophermaster fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 16, 2013

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

InstantInfidel posted:

Again, the Y410p only gives playable framerates for intensive games on medium/low settings already.

I played through Metro last light on a y410p on high with physx turned off, and it worked a treat.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

sports posted:

It's better to buy an Air, whose battery life is that of a 2013, 2014, and 2015 laptop, even if it's performance is that of a 2013 laptop. Performance always gets long in the tooth. If you "invest" in a laptop with a battery life equivalent to what you'd get in a 2001 laptop, in order to get the "stats" of a mid range 2014 laptop, you are making an unwise decision.

Unless you don't give a poo poo about battery life and just need portable computer. You seem to have a hard time grasping that other people have different requirements. Laptops aren't an investment, they're a depreciating asset.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Yes, my needs are wrong. Please set me straight o' learned 23 yr old about what I need.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

InstantInfidel posted:

Try again, I never said your needs were wrong. I just called you on your incorrect bullshit.

What was wrong? Just because Apple products depreciate less doesn't make them investments.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

The Iron Rose posted:

And an extra 300$. 40% sale ends today.

Lenovo runs those sales literally every single week, it's a marketing tactic.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Gray Matter posted:

So I ordered the y410p with 1600 res, but Lenovo said 4 week shipping time and I need a new laptop before I go out of town for nearly a month. It was sweeeet specs for the price ($860 after tax), but I decided I couldn't wait that long and picked up this Alienware on Ebay for $620, used but in "perfect" condition with i5 3210m and 650m GPU.

Acceptable substitute given my time constraints, or horrific mistake?

e: I should add I'm not too concerned with playing breaking release games, mainly League of Legends and random Steam poo poo

I think you should have waited.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

JustJeff88 posted:

Just a question for those of you who have a Lenovo 500Y series, as I have been thinking about getting one of those... what kind of gaming performance do you get? I had a look at the benchmarks on the 750 today, and I was rather disappointed. I realise that mobile video cards don't hold a candle to those designed for desktops, but this made me hesitate. So, if anyone has any real-life experience with these, let me know.

I have a Y410p, which has a 750m. What are you trying to achieve with this laptop? I personally play everything I own on it while I'm away from home, at 1600x900 and high settings. Games I have played on this thing include the Witcher 2, Skyrim and Metro Last light, all were perfectly playable.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

denereal visease posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm more than a little overwhelmed by the selection process. Can anyone recommend me a reliable laptop that will be good for the usual poo poo (ms office, web, netflix, etc.) that's also competent enough to run games respectably? I don't want or need a super high end gaming unit (I would just get a desktop), but it would be cool if I could play recent games at decent frame rates. Would the y410p be alright? People seem to dig them but they don't seem to come with the second graphics card for the ultrabay...

I own a y410p that I only use to play games while I'm away from home for work. It plays current games on high settings at 30+ fps. If you are only planning on using it around the house I'd get a desktop though; The battery life is garbage.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

PyRosflam posted:

I have a company provided Laptop Ultrabook (Dell Latitude) and an IPad. I tend to only use the IPad on flights. The company laptop cant run anything more then minimal gaming.

I will look at the Y510p thanks for giving me the idea.

I travel a ton for work as well and I've been satisfied with the y410p.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Mukaikubo posted:

So, I've been shopping on my own based on the use case I laid out in the past post I made (sub-1000$ budget, must be fairly portable since I am on business and personal travel a whole drat bunch, would like to be able to play some of my semi-recent games like Civ 5, would like a long enough battery to last a cross-country flight) and I keep circling back to Lenovo.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/?sb=:000001C9:0000FCD2:

Currently there's a deal on the Y410p with:
i7-4700MQ processor, GT755M graphics card, 8GB memory, 1TB hard drive, 1600x900 14" display
for all of 770$, which seems after a lot of comparison shopping to be a fuckton of machine for not a lot of money. I was looking at an HP machine that was 930$ for pretty similar specs.

My question: What are the good reasons I *shouldn't* hop on this Y410p deal right the gently caress now? After a lot of research, the only negatives:
-at 5.5 pounds or so, it's not AS light as I'd like
-The battery life isn't going to be what I want, since I'll be lucky to coax 4 hours out of a 6-cell battery with that processor and graphics card

The alternative right now is a L440, which is around the same price (~750$ as I've found), an i5, only Intel 4600 graphics... which is probably okay for what I'll be using... still has a 14" 1600x900 display, and is a half pound lighter and double the battery life.

I have a y410p and I bought it because of frequent business travel and I still wanted to play any game I felt like. It works great for that, and only that. The battery life is so short, and it is pretty heavy, I don't bother taking it out anywhere but where I stop permanently. I bought an android tablet for the flights/buses/cabs etc because it is way more portable and the battery lasts forever and a day, and it requires no space to set up. If you are concerned with portability, and not transportability, I'd get the L440.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Turtlicious posted:

I ended up getting a Y410p for 425$ by sniping a bid, so we'll see how that is.

I have a a 410p and it runs DA:I at 1600x900 on low at 40fps, medium 30fps.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I took a quick look at the first post I need some clarification. My brother is in the market for a laptop to do CAD drafting and reviewing on. He is a sheet metal fabricator, so he has clients sending him CAD files, and he will likely take a CAD drafting course himself to start using the tool to do his mockups. Will he be ok with a Lenovo T450 or should he get a T550? Also, is there a reliable source for used/refurbished lenovos in Canada? I took a look but it doesn't look like they have a Canadian outlet.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Thanks for your input. I'm more concerned with durability of the laptop than fastest speeds if that impacts your recommendation. I was under the impression the T series was sturdier.

Edit: I just took a look at the W series, that seems to be a bit better, thanks for the suggestion.

Gophermaster fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 26, 2016

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I need advice on a laptop for my brother.

He is a sheet metal fabricator and he wants a laptop for general office tasks and also for Auto CAD. It needs to be competent at computing, but also robust enough to last being manhandled. I would rather the machine be slower and sturdier than faster and more delicate.

He is looking at a Lenovo P50, which looks like a screaming machine, but I'm not familiar with Thinkpad build quality since IBM stopped making them. Would a T560 with intgrated graphics handle CAD work?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

pr0zac posted:

The P-series is the new name for the W-series and has the classic Thinkpad build quality, same as the T-series.

Good to know, thanks.