Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This is a strange topic for this thread but it's about a laptop I ordered, I couldn't find another place for it and I would love some advice. I ordered a laptop from Lenovo on March 2 and haven't received it yet. First week out I emailed them and got a quick response about a delay. This continued every week for 3 weeks, with them delaying a week each time. Last time I was able to talk to someone through email I got a March 25 date, which passed with no ship. No emails after that have been answered, sent to a few different Lenovo email addresses because the first one didn't get a response. So call right? I did that a couple times, but I get put on hold while they research the issue and I get disconnected. I call back, same thing, but I also thought i'd see at least a call back from them or an email. Nope.

So anyone have any advice outside of just calling my bank and issuing a chargeback? Someone that works in Lenovo UK has been trying to assist me, but my issue isn't in his department or even country. Anyone happen to have a higher ups email address I could send something to? I've heard of people getting results emailing executives.

Also, seems like a lot of people have been having the same issue over the past couple weeks. Is this typical with Lenovo and I just not know it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I haven't purchased a laptop in years and am looking into one for light work use, streaming content while on the road and playing a few, simple games (like Gwent, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon). Most of it's usage would be in Windows Office and streaming Netflix, honestly. I'm not looking to ever use it for anything too crazy. I was looking at Costco, would this laptop be alright: https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Flex-4-Series-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---2GB-Graphics---1080p.product.100325952.html

Any better options? I'm looking to spend about $500-$800. I've always kind of wanted a Surface Pro 4, but I hear right now is not the greatest time to buy them with a new version expected, plus I just missed out on the sale.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Speaking of that Yoga 710, I was on the Lenovo employee perk site yesterday and they had the 710 i7 version for $715, which is about $200 less than that Best Buy link.

Edit: My bad, it's actually a little different. 14" and with a different video card.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 16, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Costco is going to have this laptop on sale for $999.99 starting on 4/27: https://www.costco.com/ASUS-ROG-GL753VE-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100341998.html

Anyone have any comments on it? It seems like a pretty decent laptop for a pretty decent price. Reviews I read were pretty conflicting.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Are there any Lenovo codes/redemption offers that still work? I've tried the ones suggested in the OP and none of them are working. I'm looking to pick up a new laptop for work and figured a ThinkPad was the way to go. Unless anyone has any suggestions about deals taking place this weekend. I'd like to get it ordered and on the way before the end of the weekend as i'm starting a new job on Monday and would like it next week.

Edit: If it helps i'm looking at right around the $1200-$1300 mark. My work is going to reimburse me for the laptop and said $1000, but I know I can sweet talk them into covering up to $1200-$1300. So i'm looking to get as much performance as I can without spending any of my own money. Not looking to ever play games on it, but I want something durable (for travel) and quick, but powerful enough to edit things in Photoshop when needed. I also really care about a decent keyboard/track pad without a bunch of extra space surrounding both.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 26, 2018

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

The Milkman posted:

I found this while doing my own research

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/91d4ob/current_best_offer_lenovo_30_off_x_series_w_16/

I've been looking for a good 2-in-1 and wasn't terribly impressed with the Lenovo Yogas, until I discovered among the ten thousand lines and models they also make ThinkPad Yogas. The X1 Yoga looks about as close to what I want as I'm gonna get. Great display, good keyboard (that sinks into the body in tablet mode even), TB3/USB-C charging, SD reader, pen included (and it slots/charges in the chassis). At 14" the footprint is a little larger than I would have liked but it's not that[ much bigger. My spare machine is a T440s and that's not too bad.

And the wild Lenovo discount codes + Ebates cash back put it within my price range. I'm only concerned about the all the posts about QC and Lenovo Support I've seen :shrug:

Might go with this. Do you just cash out the ebates cash back or do you have to use it as 'credit'? When I just tried the cash back was only 6%, so i'm gonna check again in a few hours when that post said it might go up to 16%.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone have any reviews for a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1? I was reading bad reviews for the ThinkPad Carbon, read great reviews for the Dell XPS 13 and played with one at my local Costco, plus purchasing it at Costco got me $100 off of an already good deal and I get Costco's great warranty or return program. I think it's gonna be the laptop i'm looking for, but I can always return it if someone posts a better deal for the $1300 (sale, tax and shipping) I ended up paying.

This was the one I ordered: https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-13-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---QHD%2b-(3200-x-1800)---Silver.product.100423619.html

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Just fyi the XPS 13 2-in-1 uses the extra low power Y-series CPUs. They're like 40% the speed of "regular" laptop chips. This may or may not matter to you.

Yea I read up on them and some reviews. I'm going to give it a shot and see if it does what I want it to. If it doesn't, I can just return it to Costco, which is partly why I purchased it from Costco. I'm basically going to give it a trial run and see how things work out. By the time I get it and use it, Costco will be into another month of deals and maybe something better will be on sale.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Does Costco have the same configs in store and online? Normally they have different inventories, and online they only have the 4k XPS 15.

Related thought: gently caress Dell for making every XPS 15 2-in-1 except the most expensive one have 8gb of RAM. I can't afford that unit and don't need that 4k screen, but if I could get the basic model with 16gb this search would be loving over.

They have a better selection online, but the models they do have in store are the same models listed online as long as the sku matches.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

Is there a limit to how much of 75% a laptop they'll pay for? And is it their property or yours? Because it seems to me the thing to do is to get as much laptop as possible if they're footing that much of the bill.

Thought the same thing when work offered to purchase me a laptop. Also wanted to make sure I purchased it and I wanted to try and purchase it from Costco because of their customer service and returns. Which is actually why i'm back to this thread...

Costco August solicit arrived this morning and this laptop: https://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-13-7000-Series-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100376436.html will be on sale starting August 2nd for $200 off.

This one will also be on sale: https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Flex-....100403072.html but i've heard bad things about Lenovo and Flex 5.

This one will be $300 off and looks like an upgrade to the Dell XPS 2-in-1 I purchased at only $100 more. https://www.costco.com/LG-gram-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100408465.html Anyone have anything good to say about the LG Gram series?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So what I suspected would happen, happened, and this Dell XPS 13 is on sale at Costco for $300 off.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100403152.html

So probably gonna be returning that laptop I purchased last week and getting this one.

Edit: Reading reviews, it seems like the biggest issues are battery life and loud fans.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 30, 2018

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
On the topic of XPS 13s...

I went ahead and stopped flip flopping and picked up the XPS 13 that Costco has on sale right now. I was tired of changing my choices and just had to settle on something. They had it in store so I that kind of helped convince me that I could just be done today. This thread is immensely helpful and everyone here has great advice. I probably won't become a regular or anything but thanks for all the great advice.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I started using an iPhone recently and really like it. I had a Macbook in 2010ish and enjoyed that, but have only used Windows or Android since. We basically only use Macs at work and with us going back soon (hopefully) and me wanting a laptop for various reasons, I kind of want to look at a Mac. It's mostly gonna be for work from remote locations, but i'd like to start dabbling in video editing and I want a comfortable, responsive keyboard. I watch a ton of movies/tv on my devices, so I expect a lot of that too. I don't really need it to play games, but i'd like for it to basically play some quick Steam games, maybe Wow Classic. A nice battery is key, though i'll be able to charge it from my vehicle.

Should I just stick with Windows or will a Mac and IOS be something worth exploring? Any good deals or things I should stay away from right now? I remember Apple having good deals when the school season starts, but it's usually for people with .edu emails and with COVID, who knows.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You really haven't been keeping up with the Apple ecosystem, have you? Apple just announced they were moving away from Intel over to a unified top-to-bottom ARM infrastructure, so unless you feel like buying something that will be EOLed in two years or so, it may behoove you to wait.

I read that, but outside of seeing what was mentioned in the past 2 pages, nope. I have basically no idea what Apple has been up to.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So it sounds like I should wait for the next gen of Macs, buy a mac and expect it to stop being supported in roughly 3 years or stick with a windows based system. That's a shame. I kind of wanted to play around with a mac, but i've always enjoyed the used Mac market and by the time i'd be looking to sell and upgrade, a lot of people would be looking for new gen Macs.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

This is not true. SwissArmyDruid does not know what they are talking about.

Ok, thanks. Well, i'll shop around for Macs. Costco usually has pretty good deals. If anyone knows of a super good deal, please let me know.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Why would you wait? If you need a new laptop then buy a new laptop.

Better deals, new release of hardware or COVID uncertainty. That's why I asked for good deals and waited a bit (and will likely wait a bit longer). I want to drop like 2k on a good one, but I also have maintained financial stability through all this, even though i've been out of work, but recently found out we should be going back in August. That could always change, but I think we'll be going forward even though they paused our reopening due to a spike. The advice about maybe waiting for the new gen of processors in Macs was good, but it also looked to be not necessary at the moment.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I appreciate the advice and yea, the smart play would be to not buy and just see. But like I said, i'm very financially secure. I work in film and we often go for months not working. We basically work like crazy for 8 months and then go on vacation for 4 months. We are basically just taking a forced vacation rather than a self imposed one. We have productions backed way up because of COVID, so we likely will be working steady for the next couple of years to catch up. When I say we might not go back to work in August, I mean we'll go back to work in either September or October.

But, it's still something i'll have to think about, so thank you. I'm using the time to research more laptops and deals. I'll likely wait for a really good one. I was looking at the Macbooks yesterday and they are giving away a pair of AirPods with the purchase of a Macbook, which I wanted anyway. So i'm considering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

strangehamster posted:

I have a couple new in box 2019 model Thinkpads if anyone wanted a half-off deal. 8th gen Intel i7
CPUs are still good performers. I’m looking at getting an XPS 15 or a Legion 7 instead.

I'd be interested in seeing some specs and a price for them. I want to try a Mac but i've always loved Thinkpads. Feel free to PM me.