Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Nitis posted:

I'm looking at this system.

The MSI website indicates it has a Thunderbolt port, while the Newegg site doesn't list it. The review view of the computer seems to show a TB port, but I can't tell for sure. Can anyone confirm/deny?

There is definitely a Mini Displayport connector on the back. Unless they put a non-TB Mini Displayport on it, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Lightning just downgrades to MDP (mini-display port, for those of you following along at home) when you plug in an MDP device though, right?

It definitely does on a Macbook Pro and I would expect it to on Windows too.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

HPL posted:

So it's 8GB of RAM with an i5? If that's true, then most Linux distros will run fine. If you want to keep the Windows type of feel, Lubuntu, Linux Mint or SolyDX would do you well. If you want to try something snazzier, ElementaryOS is neat. I like Lubuntu because it just works, or anything that doesn't work doesn't need much work to get going and the base install doesn't load on a ton of crap like some other distros so you get a solid base install and then you can add on whatever you want instead of having to go through and prune the junk out. This is especially bad with Gnome desktop installs.

Yeah - I have a Latitude E6230 which is basically Dell's X230 and I don't think you'll have any issues running a standard distro on an X220. This is a full-sized processor even if it's mobile, not an Atom. Unless you have cooling issues or something like that it should be able to handle whatever you throw at it. If you plan on adding an SSD then I doubt it will even be perceptibly slower than a new machine for just basic desktop stuff, although it will definitely burn through the battery faster since most of the new machines have moved from 35W TDP dualcores to 15W - more like the ULV processors from the earlier generations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

Are the Skylake Thinkpads single channel DDR4 or dual channel? Modern iGPUs are enough for light / moderate gaming, but it helps if they're not memory bandwidth starved.

There are a lot of different models called "Thinkpad" and I don't know that I can speak for all of them but the W and T series are the workhorses so they at least will be. I would suspect anything with two DIMM slots is and probably the X1 Carbon as well, but I don't know. If you want something other than W/T I'd see if the Broadwell model is dual-channel and you can make a solid bet that Skylake will be the same.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Rocket League will play just fine on an HD4000 (which is in the 2012 x230)

Check out a refurb x230 or maybe x240 for $300-450

For new you can look at a previous gen (but still new) Asus UX305, it runs about $620 on Amazon.

The Asus X205 is a fine machine but it doesn't have the CPU to do what you need it to (for gaming. For everything else it would be fine if slightly anemic)

See my OP post about $640 being the new $500. It still holds true.

You can get a Latitude E6230 refurb (which is Dell's X230) for $225 on Newegg if you're looking for a small Ivy Bridge machine. I got one of these last week and it's not bad at all, 3 pounds and easy access to memory/HD/WLAN for upgrades.

Be careful to make sure that it's Ivy if you do this though because Sandy Bridge models exist too and there's actually a nontrivial difference in the graphics ability if I recall correctly.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 21, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

Did you find one with higher than a 1366x768 screen? I saw a ton of $200 or less E6230s on dell's refurbished site today, but every single one had that super low res scree. I don't even want 1080p, just 1440x900 at least.

No, unfortunately. I think that's the only option. I was tempted to splurge for an XPS 13 because I'd also really like to have a 1080p screen, but when I saw the 6230 for $200 I decided to give it a try.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

scandoslav posted:

I need a laptop for compsci/robotry but I'm very poor. Apparently running ubuntu on a chromebook is a thing that can happen, and other laptops in the $200-$400 pricerange are hot garbage. I don't care about gaming, I just need something that I can carry to and from class (and maybe take outside every now and then), that I can use on my coding quest to become a computerman, and that can set up an ad-hoc wifi network (which I know Ubuntu can do).

Guide me, laptop thread, and forgive me if this poo poo's been covered. There are 444 pages.

One option is a $200 refurbished Latitude E6230.

I bought one of these a week or two back and have been happy with it. The Ivy Bridge processor is not much slower than new ones, it just uses more power and will limit you to around 5-6hr battery life at the top end. The one I got comes with a 6-cell battery that appears to be new but not OEM, which may not be quite as good as an OEM one but seems OK. Weighs about 3.5 pounds and the innards are easily accessible under a bottom panel held by only one screw. I wish the screen were 1080p instead of 1366x768 but it's alright for the price. If you do decide you want to mess with any games, the built in graphics will be sufficient for many of them to run well at 720p/low detail.

If you really want it to be quick, you can upgrade to an SSD and 8GB of memory and still stay under $300. It's a hell of a lot better than the single-core Atom netbook I bought for $290 for my final year of college.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 25, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krime posted:

In the market for a new Laptop so I'm doing my research and reading up on stuff.

What are the thoughts on i5 vs. i7? I'm admittedly very rusty on what's new and on the up and up with this stuff, so I realize it could come down to the specific model of i5 vs. i7, but... general advice?

Also, this is what I've got my eye on. Yes, I love gigantic laptops.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019053BH4

In a laptop an i7 is usually the same thing as an i5, a dual-core with hyperthreading, but with higher clocks. Some laptop i7s (like that one) are quad-cores, but they usually don't have i5s offered as an alternative (due to using a lot more power and therefore having a substantially different system design) and have Q in the model number to distinguish them. They will be a lot faster than the dual-core i5s on anything that can use cores 3 and 4, of course, but you probably won't notice a difference otherwise except in your battery life.

In desktops, i7s and i5s tend to both be quad-cores but i7s have hyperthreading and i5s don't. The LGA2011 workstation/server platform has some i7s but they're basically just rebranded Xeons and there are no i5s on this platform.

In both desktops and laptops, the i5s tend to have a better price/performance - however, if what you're doing relies on the CPU enough then the i7 could be worth it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Alabaster White posted:

Is it even possible to get a laptop that doesn't have shitloads of store/developer bloatware on it? I'm absolute garbage when it comes to hardware, and my mom needs a new laptop, and I just want to get something that will have less useless poo poo on it for me to have to arduously fix every 5 days.

The Signature Edition machines from the Microsoft Store don't have bloatware, but from what I understand you can also use the "Reset my PC" option on any Windows 10 machine and you'll get it all off too - that blows away everything but drivers and updates, I believe.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

dissss posted:

With Skylake there are quad core laptop i5s too - just like the desktop processors they don't have HT.

Oh yeah, you're right. It looks like there are a couple of 45W models that are similar to the i7s we've had in Broadwell and before, but interestingly Skylake also has mobile 25W quad-cores in both i5 and i7 models that don't even have a higher tray price listed than the 15W dual-cores. I'm pretty sure that the Surface Book has one of these, but I wonder if we'll be seeing them in more systems. Some ultrabook systems already have 28W dual-cores with Iris graphics from Haswell/Broadwell and that would be an easy swap in the same form-factor.

Tigren posted:

As far as performance goes, am I going to notice a big difference between a refurb i5 T420 with 8GB of ram versus an Asus UX305 with similar specs?

As far as portability goes, will I notice a big difference between the two? I'm not a student or an on-the-go business professional so I don't plan to carry my laptop with me everywhere I go, but I would like to be able to take it to a coffee shop or on vacation.

My main uses are web browsing, consuming music/videos/Youtube, and the occasional VM lab.

If your T420 doesn't have the extended battery I would expect the UX305 to last a lot longer. Integrated graphics may be faster in the UX305 due to the 4-generation difference, although the processor in the T420 has a lot larger power envelope to stretch out in so it may end up feeling quicker. If you haven't put an SSD in the T420, that will make a difference in both battery life and perceived quickness. The T420 is definitely a substantially thicker and heavier machine but you can look up the numbers and decide if you care about the difference.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 29, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The T series are made to be serviceable by end users or IT departments. It shouldn't be too difficult to swap in your own drive as the previous poster said. The SSHD should be noticeably faster at least for startup times than a regular HD though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

To be honest, getting a discrete GPU in a laptop probably isn't beneficial unless you know of a particular reason you need one. Since Sandy Bridge the Intel GPUs have been not bad and they've improved noticeably with each generation since, with Skylake iGPUs being comparable to low-end discrete desktop chipsets. Discrete GPUs definitely won't help with your goals of lightness or long battery life either.

Other than that, you should probably keep in mind that manufacturers love to increase their margin with storage and RAM upgrades. I would suspect that the Latitude models you're looking at make RAM and drive upgrades easy so if that's an option it could help you make your desired price point. I don't know if the XPS 13 allows 16GB at all, even in a custom build.

If you aren't doing this already make sure you check Dell Outlet coupons and available systems. They have really deep discounts there sometimes, on the business and consumer systems both.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 31, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

dbcooper posted:

Thanks, everyone!

To clarify, I'm buying this laptop using work funds. I won't be using it 40 hours a week but depending on meeting/after hours time can spend 10-20 hours a week on it.

Based on the feedback I've narrowed my choices to a Latitude e7470 and XPS 13 1.

Is it reasonable to assume ~1 hour extra battery life in Skylake (e7470) over Broadwell (e7450)?

I'm ignoring the discrete GPU option available on the e7450/e7470.

Is it possible to add RAM and add/upgrade the SSD to the e7470 after purchase? Crucial's website doesn't help.

Hadlock highlights the XPS 13 for build quality and IPS display (among other things). Anyone know if the e7470 has similarly robust build quality and an IPS display (1080p)? As long as it's solid I don't care if it's clunky (Thinkpad).

As far as pricing goes, I've run into obstacles when trying to take advantage of a Dell deal (sale price or buying through home/small business portal) in the past. The PO has to pass through several levels of bureaucracy before it actually gets submitted/paid including a technical review by the organizational IT department who can/will shoot down computer orders that don't conform to minimum requirements (TPM, 3 year warranty/accidental damage on laptops, etc.).

----
1 I'm avoiding Apple b/c occasionally I need connect directly (via a USB or USB+RS-232 cable) to hardware devices that only have Windows software available. For this reason I can't go 100% VM for my Windows needs (AFAIK). When I've tried to setup hardware port/USB pass-through in the past it's been a PITA. Besides, running something other than Mac OS X on an Apple device is sacrilege

I do not think it's reasonable to assume that Skylake vs. Broadwell will give you an extra hour of battery life. It's possible that it will but I haven't heard of any particular generation making that much difference except Haswell.

The owner's manual indicates that RAM and SSD upgrades are possible for a user to do with the 7470.

I can't speak for these particular models but build quality on the Latitudes in general should be at least as good as the XPSes considering that Latitude is the business line and generally made a bit more rugged, like Thinkpads. I have an Ivy Bridge 12" Latitude and it feels solid despite being a refurb and having obviously received a few dings. Screen hinges aren't wobbly at all and the frame is some kind of light alloy, not plastic.

In general I'd expect the Latitude to be more bulky and more durable than the XPS because of that added bulk, but both should be well put together. I have heard that there's a Latitude model coming that will have a thin bezel like the XPS but am not sure when that's going to be available.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Teddybear posted:

Will that cause it to move the Windows install over from the HDD to the SSD, or... how do I go about doing that, if not?

No, you need to either clone the HD contents over (try Macrium Reflect, there's a free edition) or just reinstall Windows. If the source HD is larger than the destination SSD, it may be a pain in the rear end to clone even if there's enough free space to make up the difference - I haven't tried it recently to recall.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

dbcooper posted:

Did I interpret the OP incorrectly? [Emphasis mine]

Thanks for the link to the manual.

I don't care if the Latitude isn't as thin and light as the XPS 13 as long as it's durable. I watched some video reviews today and they seem to agree with your assessment.

I don't think that you misinterpreted it, I just hadn't seen any clear apples-to-apples comparisons indicating that Skylake battery life is that noticeably better. It might be and I just haven't seen the info, that's all. I know that Haswell v. Ivy Bridge was a more substantial improvement than that and a lot of noise was made about it, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Teddybear posted:

So order of operations: install drive, use Macrium Reflect to clone the HDD over, (switch the SSD to the C drive and make the HDD an F drive or something? is this necessary?), use the BIOS to switch the boot drive to the SSD, wipe the HDD. Right?

Once you clone the HD over to the SSD and boot off the SSD, it will boot as the C drive (unless your HD was something different). The HD will probably be autoassigned a drive letter at that point but if it's not and you want to access and/or wipe it, you can use Disk Management (right click your computer in the filesystem interface, pick Manage) to mess with partitions and assign drive letters.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Are the t420 and Thinkpad 11e still liked for general Internet/streaming and light gaming (rocket league/darkest dungeon)? Think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of them, all the specs seem well worth it for the price tag.

I posted a couple weeks ago and appreciate the feedback. I'm also looking at a refurb Latitude 6230 which seems like a good fit all around.

I did some searching for a relative recently and it's really not likely that you'll find a new 1080p system with otherwise tolerable specs for under $500. You can check out the Thinkpad Flex 14 if your budget will stretch that far.

The T420 and 11e are really different systems though - the T420 is a flagship model from 2011 and the 11e is a netbook from last year. The 11e is a lot lighter and the battery will last a lot longer but the Celeron inside is an Atom with an opened-up power envelope so it can run faster, not a stripped-down full processor like previous generations' Celerons. It will definitely be a much slower machine. The T420 has a legit Sandy Bridge processor which is still not slow 4-5 years after release, but the battery life and weight will suffer for it. If you want to do "light gaming" I would probably not go with the 11e - that's strictly a note taking/web browsing/essentials mobility focused model. The T420 will be fine but if you find a E6230 with an Ivy Bridge (3xxx series) processor then it will do a bit better with the integrated graphics, being a generation newer.

I actually got a refurb 6230 off Newegg myself a couple weeks back and it's quite nice with the combination of cheap+light+durable+upgradeable+not too slow once you get over the fact that it's only 720p. Make sure you get an Ivy Bridge model if the price difference isn't much, they're mostly similar to Sandy Bridge in performance but the iGPU is noticeably better.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 3, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm not very well versed in laptops anymore. I had a Toshiba Satellite a505 from 2009 to about mid 2015 so I'm just trying to grab a halfway decent replacement and chill with Netflix or some indie game during work downtime. I'm leaning more and more towards the 6230. There's an Ivy Bridge on newegg for about 250 and that seems fair.

Is the Evo 850 still the go-to SSD?

Excellent, this looks like the one I got although I think it was $200 even for me. I guess they've had a lot of demand and figured they could bump it a bit. I assume you're looking at the one that is like this but 8GB of RAM. If you care about the difference, there are 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMMs for $16 on Amazon - I got one of those, a cheap 240GB Crucial SSD, and an Intel mini-PCIe dual-band wireless+Bluetooth card for under $100 total.

The Evo 850 is still the standard recommendation, I only bought the Crucial because it was $20 cheaper and I trust the brand but don't care much about getting top end random read/write speeds.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 3, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Teddybear posted:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535#thinkpad

Looks like no. Ah well, whatever. Windows 7 is fine.

If you really want 10 you should try it, because it may be able to either carry forward the drivers from 7 or find new ones in Windows Update that work fine. I've updated my E6320 which is a platform from the same generation to 10 and it had no issues at all. Official support from Lenovo isn't very meaningful since you're not likely to be contacting them about a secondhand refurb anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Newegg hasn't sent me tracking info for my laptop yet (I ordered a few days ago)but they were selling it through a third party. Should I panic yet?

I ordered an SSD in the same transaction and I got tracking info day of.

No, you shouldn't. I likely ordered my E6230 from the same supplier (Think Green PC) and they took a few days to give me tracking information. If your experience is like mine, they'll also print the label a fair bit before they actually use it so you'll get a tracking number but it won't work for a day or two. I'd like to think they test the laptop one more time before they send it out but who knows.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

grimcreaper posted:

So, just a quick question again: For lower resolution gaming, is it important to match the desktop AND gaming resolution? Im only asking becuase i was watching a video where the guy said "ITS HIGHLY IMPORTANT TO DO THIS!" but i have never heard this anywhere else. But then again, my laptop gaming experience is extremely limited overall and ive never had to downscale for a game ive played on my desktop.

No. I mean, displays look good at their native resolution but if you're not able to run at native resolution then you're probably also making substantial image quality compromises elsewhere and it's not going to look great regardless. If you have the horsepower you should go up to native resolution if possible, but don't get a lovely display on a laptop just because you don't have the graphics to drive games at high quality on a good one.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

C-Euro posted:

But ~my PC gaming~

Would it be worth it to get both M2 and SATA SSDs to replace what's in there? I was under the impression that installing games on an SSD is the hot new thing, I haven't bought a new computer since 2010 so these are uncharted waters for me. OS on C:\ and everything else on D:\?

Unless it's a game with a lot of load time, this is a substantial expense for not much gain. The only games that I have experienced that have enough load time to make me think "I should really move this to an SSD" have been Sims 3 with all 10+ expansions, Skyrim with all the DLC, and WoW with zone-in times whenever you go from one instance to another.

It does make a big difference in a game with substantial load time though, if you think it's worth it. Sims 3 startup went from "go make a sandwich, and you have time to toast the bread too" to not that bad, less than a minute.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 17, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, in my experience with a desktop monitor running a 1080p game on a 4K screen will just look like you have a 1080p screen.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Seamonster posted:

You may see some games giving you a 1920x1080 box in the middle of your screen. Depends on the game. Setting your desktop to 1080p usually fixes this.

Yeah, this is true. Games that try to do borderless windowed (or "full-screen windowed") and don't match desktop resolution can have weird issues, I saw this with Witcher 3. Setting desktop resolution to match fixed it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Cross-post between the laptop and printer megathreads: One of my users would like a recommendation for a new personal laptop and printer for his home, with the preference that they are both white. Any suggestions?

No clue on the printer, but Acer's Aspire V 13 has a white chassis on the Microsoft store. I have heard negative comments about Acer's build quality but on specs/price alone it doesn't look bad, about like a Zenbook.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Fruit Chewy posted:

Is there any chance that someone here owns an old Vaio P (yes the weird small wide one)? I'm really curious how it runs with w10 or a stripped Linux distro as a backpack-able web browser. I'm not a huge fan of always carrying my Chromebook Pixel.

I have an ASUS netbook with a single-core Atom and it runs Windows 10 tolerably well, although there is a noticeable delay when doing lots of things compared to more capable machines. It would probably be more responsive with something like Lubuntu but I don't think it's any slower than it was with 7. I did add a 64GB SSD a few years back and that helps massively.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Ars actually posted a pretty good article on understanding the Intel CPU lineup today: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/pentium-core-i5-core-i7-making-sense-of-intels-convoluted-cpu-lineup/

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Withnail posted:

Yeah I know, I'm looking for a cheap laptop so a 12 year old can stay up all night at his friend's house and play minecraft. He's not getting an alienware or a macbook. He doesn't hang out at starbucks all afternoon. If there's a significantly better cheap laptop for those needs, please share your expertise.

Look into a refurb Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge Thinkpad (T420/430 14", X420/430 12") or Latitude (E6320 12", E6340 14") and it will have enough integrated graphics power to run most games at low settings (or Minecraft at whatever settings, I assume) and will have a durable metal frame that's not too heavy. Your total cost after it's all done could end up under $400 depending on what you pick. Newegg has a pretty good selection last time I looked.

You can step up to a Haswell system like the T440p mentioned by The Iron Rose to improve graphics and battery life, but it will cost more. This is good enough for a kid to get their feet wet with their own machine and isn't compromising performance much like a netbook would.

I got an Ivy Bridge E6320 for $200 a month or so ago and for less than $100 additional upgraded it to 8GB of memory, an Intel dual-band Wi-Fi/BT card, and an SSD. It's not really that much less functional than the $1500 13" Macbook Pro (Haswell) that I have as a work laptop, it just has a much worse screen and only around 50-70% of the battery life. That sounds bad, but I'm happy with it considering the cost difference.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 1, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Check out the refurb Thinkpads and Latitudes on Newegg, you can probably find something alright there for under $300 if all you need is basic functionality for presentations.

It won't have the battery life or lightness of a new model but anything new for under $300 is a netbook or absolute bottom of the heap.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and Lattitude D830 that are literally sitting in the corner. Is my best option to just trade them into Best Buy for $50 gift cards?

Yeah, those are 10 years old so I don't think you'll get more than that for them.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

N. Senada posted:

Hey all, I need a cheap word processor that can play music and stream video. I'm thinking about the HP Stream 11 because it's in the op and 200.00. Are there any better suggestions? I literally need something to type up reports and listen to music on YouTube while I do it.

P.S. It also has to have a windows os

ASUS's X205 is very similar so if you can find it for cheaper it's worth considering.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Huh, the X205 has been replaced by the "E200-HA"... because apparently the X205 had too well known of a name, so they went and completely changed it...

I have not put my hands on this one but it looks like it's a completely new chassis, so no idea if it has the same quality screen or keyboard as the venerable X205.

Apparently it has a 17% larger trackpad though, which is nice. The old trackpad was already pretty large.

I feel like they missed an opportunity by not bumping the eMMC to 64GB. What does that change add to the bill of materials anyway, like $5? 32GB means that after you install Windows 10 you can only fit about 10GB more before the system disk becomes too full to install the full-image updates without external storage. This could be blamed on Microsoft, but I don't think I can fault them that much considering that 32GB system disks were small 10 years ago.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

KingEup posted:

I'm amusing non user upgradeable ram too?

Well, any machine at this price point and size is probably not going to use SODIMMs and I don't really blame them for the 2GB of memory with an Atom proc because you're not likely to run anything intensive on it anyway, it's basically the same spec as a $200 Android tablet.

The X205 is worse than that though, it uses a 32-bit EFI and no matter what you do you can't run 64-bit code even though the processor supports it. It's true that anything running smoothly on an Atom probably has a 32-bit variant anyway, but I'm just baffled why they made the decision since presumably it would have been just as easy to use a 64-bit EFI. Maybe Microsoft makes the licenses cheaper for 32-bit only machines, I don't know.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 13, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I wouldn't mention it normally but since you specifically said you don't want CPU performance to get worse, it probably will if you get that (by a little bit). The 4210U is a generation newer but it's a 15W processor instead of 35W and won't clock up nearly as high as what you have now. That system seems alright for the price, though. Graphics performance will probably be a bit better although it might also be affected by the power target.

The second is a hell of lot better but you probably figured that. Many people would probably recommend that you get something other than an Acer if you're going to spend that much for build quality reasons, but if you like them then the specs seem appropriate for the price - maybe even a good deal.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

toe knee hand posted:

So before this it was always some hardware going that marked the end of my laptops - with the one I have it's the case that's breaking. Is that what you mean when you say build quality?

Yes, if you're finding that it's just falling apart despite not really being ill-treated that tends to be associated with lower-end models and budget brands. Acer is definitely a budget brand, although I haven't ever personally had one so I don't have any bad associations. Poor build quality tends to go with cutting corners on the part selection too though, so depending on the nature of your previous laptops' failure it might not be as different as you think. Depends on whether you mean "worked great until the hard drive died after 7 years and I decided I might as well get a new one" or "the screen failed 2 months after the warranty expired."

The case falling apart in particular is a lot less of an issue on machines that are high end enough to have a metal unibody instead of being bolted-together plastic.

Wickerman posted:

Is there any reason why T440p laptops should be under 500 used? Aren't they literally last year's model?

Two years ago kind of, T460p just came out.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Generally Apple is going to be perceived as a higher end buy due to build quality. I've had good experience with ASUS devices personally but they are a lot more concerned with cost cutting than Apple is.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
A bit of searching indicates that the 540 is perhaps around 50% faster than the 520 due to the inclusion of eDRAM. How much more expensive is it and how much do you care about gaming?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

It probably isn't actually an issue, it's just always the cpu that shows up on the system requirements for games as being lacking. I'll just forget it if it's a bad idea.

As the other poster said, literally impossible. The CPU is soldered to the motherboard in most laptops.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Delivery McGee posted:

What's the practical difference between this Y50 and this Y700? As far as I can tell, it's just 4th vs 6th-gen processor? is it worth the extra $150?

Yeah, that is the only significant difference I can see. The 6th gen processor will use a bit less power and supports faster DDR4 memory, but in real world use there's not a lot of difference. I wouldn't consider it to be worth $150 more.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I checked Lenovo's website just now and it describes all of the options I see listed for the Y700's screen as IPS.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Do you have a source for that? Haswell was a pretty big improvement compared to Ivy Bridge and before, but while I know Skylake had some improvement too I hadn't heard anything in the realm of double. Looking at Ars' review of the Skylake XPS 13 for example it's pretty comparable to Broadwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

DNK posted:

Personal anecdotal evidence and all that, but I have a 4th gen y50 (960m 4k) and a 6th gen Inspirion (960m 1080p) and the Inspirion lasts literally 8 hours of media streaming while the y50 poops out after 2.5.

The 4K screen does not help the battery life, I know, but I can't ignore the CPU factor. I've done as much as I can to preserve battery life on the y50 (dropping to 1080p, very dim backlight) and it still doesn't go farther than 4 hours.

That's kind of apples and oranges though, not just with the screen but also with the Inspiron being a totally different laptop with probably a different sized battery too. I don't have either system but I searched for battery life measurements on the Y50 and Y700 and found at least one website that had reviewed both; they ended up with similar results, but the Haswell Y50 actually lasted a bit longer.

You can definitely expect the 14nm transition and architecture change to make a bit of difference, but fundamentally it's a 47W processor versus a 45W one so anything big will have to come from differences in the idle states and other components and the other components look really similar in those two models.