Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Here is a German review of the new T431s
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T431s-Ultrabook.93580.0.html

- This will be the design of thinkpads to come
- No Clamshell
- Body feels less sturdy than older models
- Screen is thinner and is of lesser built quality than previous offers, which was already their weak point
- Still Milspec
- Less connection ports
- Still good access to most components via removable back plate BUT
- BATTERY NON REMOVABLE
- The keyboard is good
- No thinklight (bummer lol)
- The new touchpad is good, but of course without the buttons its automatically poo poo so it is poo poo
- The display is still not very good
- Battery power is what you would expect

It's another definite but logical step in the direction of a consumer notebook. It gives ultrabook status and is a lot more portable.
Thinkpads become less and less sturdy and try to be more pretty. Removal of the top mouse buttons is a terrible idea but since the nipple mouse will probably not survive another model iteration anyway it doesn't matter. Removal of the clamshell design is a bummer, as is the worse build quality. The non-removable battery is a disaster.
Other than that it is a good computer, but then so is an Apple.
I don't really see any improvement as such but since you have to move somehwere I understand the direction they are going. I guess buying a cheap T430 or somesuch in the next months would be nice. I have the slight hope that they might chose to go back to a more sturdy and traditional design for the W series but there's no indication for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Pvt Dancer posted:

Where are you getting that it's less sturdy / worse build quality than the old design? I can't see it in the review. I've had the X1 Carbon for a bit over half a year and it withstands travel and my general clumsiness just as well as my old T420s.

Well it says it there in the review and also in the "Fazit".
The X1 is also a laptop which used to be priced at literally 2000 euros. Not even regular Thinkpads compare to that.

Pvt Dancer posted:

The non-clamshell design is fine I think, it doesn't open spontaneously when you drop it..
Yeah I dunno. I am not convinced. I am not going as far as saying that it is less secure because the hinges are smaller or anything, but you just can not beat a mechanical lock on the screen no matter what. I mean, if it is new it will probably not be an issue in normal use. But if the hinges get a bit older and you are really putting it through some abuse it might be an issue. It will also just not shut as tight. I mean I understand why they are doing it and I know the path will not change but I still think this, the battery and the button thing are three decisions that make the product objectively worse.

dissss posted:

Hmmm while battery is much better than the T430s its still not enough - they're definitely falling behind the competition there :/

If they are going away from the traditional Thinkpads they'd better nail everything else, considering they are still pricy.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

My x230 arrived yesterday and overall I’m happy with it. The only thing I really dislike is the touchpad, it’s just not a good size or shape and is weirdly rattly. Not good, but not worth returning it and the nipple thing is fine.

I am quoting this in a couple of months when you tell us how you just can't live without a nipple mouse anymore.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Hadlock posted:

dGPUs aren't as important as they used to be. You can play Skyrim comfortably on an HD4000, and the HD4600+ in haswell will be a 25% improvement over that

But with thinkpads you are paying a lot of money for those nividia cards which are just not very good at gaming at all. The T400 for example had a switcheable ATI card which was really good and allowed me to play new videojames for years for the same relative cost. The current gpus are not as good compared to that.
If you can live with the thinkpad redesign, it would be a good idea to wait for what they are putting in this time.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Dell puts a beefy 2GB Radeon 8790M in the new Latitude.
So for everyone who plans to do some gaming, wants a good quality laptop which is not a Mac (or has a nipple mouse), this seems to be ideal.

I wonder if Lenovo goes for the pro graphics cards instead.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Seamonster posted:

Nice but I'd rather wait for the XPS 15 Haswell. I do like the massive honking battery in there though 97 wh holy balls thats alot of juice.

But the XPS is a completely different thing imo. It's a consumer grade notebook - a good one probably, but it does not compare to the Latitudes in many areas.
It compares with things like MacBooks, not ThinkPads.

But it's a strange choice for the graphics card.
I mean I like it, because I NEED a nipple mouse, a good keyboard (sry Macbook, I tried to like your kb, I don't), ruggedness and if I can play a game on it - that is a definite plus - and since I don't use CAD I don't need a FirePro. If it wasn't for these needs, I could easily get a Macbook/XPS for less even.

But most people buying a Thinkpad/Latitude with a dedicated graphics card are probably looking for a CAD solution, which is exactly what XPS and MacBooks do not provide.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Sorry. I guess I should rephrase that, 1366x768 is acceptable if you're only doing those things, medium resolution is always preferred if you have the budget for it.

Dell is capable of making excellent machines, but they don't sell them for less than $1000 unless you find one on fire sale. Latitude is not one of them.

Latitude is not a good Dell? Is that not their top range ?

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Muffiner posted:

Notebookcheck.com has a review of the Thinkpad S440 in German.

ahaha it looks like an ideapad uuuuughhh

edit: Jesus Christ the lid doesn't even close anymore fully
http://www.notebookcheck.com/typo3temp/_processed_/csm_37_Kopie_d24c179d45.jpg

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

havenwaters posted:

That review was for the S440, not the T440s.

So it's yet to be seen if they turned the T series into glorified ideapads or whatever.

After a long fight with myself I was almost ready to accept the hinge changes and the lack of nipple buttons, but I swear to god if they gonna have this lovely non-clamshell open dustcollector/wobbleshit of a display I am never going to buy a thinkpad again. drat. This is so essential I don't even know. My current tp is what, 4 or 5 years old. The hinges are properly hosed, after all those years of abuse, but I know I can still throw that bastard into my bag or whatever because if it is closed it loving stays closed and I also don't have to worry about poo poo getting between the keyboard and the screen, which is important. But this? gently caress you Lenovo.

edit: I know it ain't the T440 I just like to freak out preemtively

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Dell announced their new latitude line yesterday.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/26/dell-latitude-7000-5000-3000/

The Latitude 5000 sounds like it might be a close competitor to the y510p and y410p as it offers similar features and discrete graphics (though they don't mention which discrete chip it's using yet) and you can get it with a four, six, or nine-cell battery.

Clamshell/lockable lid is also gone from these.
Are these the ultrabook consumer lines or are all Dells now without these features?
I just don't understand why they would do away with it. It has no impact of usability or size and makes the laptop that much more robust. Sigh.

Otherwise I like the design and specs.
I wonder how the E6540 fits into this, which is not even released yet: It's Haswell but the old design.

Hadlock posted:

You can expect to get about 4 years out of a Thinkpad if you travel a lot and keep it in a sleeve

My T400 is over 4.5 years and it still works. I have done ridiculous poo poo to it including:
- 4-5 times dropping it at a height over 1m on stone, requiring two new hard drives and one new dvd drive
- Literally throwing it around
- Coffee and water over the keyboard, several times
- Dust/Sand etc.
- In general I can not take care of electronic devices for poo poo (new cellphone each year, that's me)

Which is also why I am sad that they are taking away some of these rugged features like the clamshell lid: The old Thinkpad design was really, really resiliant

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 28, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

shrughes posted:

Robustness isn't as important, laptops are cheaper nowadays.
Yeah, lovely ones are. The ones I like to use are definitly not. I have done the strategy of cheap laptops many times in the past. It does not pay off. They do break more quickly and when they are working you have a not-so-good laptop. For example I type a lot and the keyboards on many models are downright infuriating to type on. I know some people don't care, but I do.
Btw. you can't imagine how quickly I can break stuff. I need a base level of ruggedness.

shrughes posted:

Latches are bad for durability anyway, if the lid is too weak, because they mostly help the lid absorb shocks applied to the base, and if the lid is too weak, it'll just get its screen damaged instead.
The lid on thinkpads isn't weak though, that is the point. The thing which breaks or - let's say tires - are the hinges. Even though the hinges on the T400 are loving excellent, I would not trust them to hold the screen in place in every situation, like in a bag full of things while I do stuff I shouldn't do with a laptop in my bag. This is of course after 4+ years of me carrying the laptop by the lid like an idiot and in fact the hinges now are still better than in many new and cheap laptops. Still, I would be concerned in many situation without the locking mechanism.
Latches are excellent for durability, if your laptop isn't poo poo.

And so is the clamshell. You can see in the Lenovo IdeaThinkpad from above that there is a clear separation of lid and base even when closed. This is crap. I would immediately have stuff/dust/sand between screen and keyboard if I put it in my bag.
If I spill something over my closed laptop then at least that part is sealed. If it doesn't hit the fan intake then you can clean it off and that's that. An open laptop is then most likely broken.
In fact most people with laptops without clamshells have to use these strange sleeves all the time. I mean why is that`?
Also: Separated lid and base without clamshell/latches and some object in the bag like cellphone or a book = open laptop, if the hinges aren't up to snuff. It's just worse for durability, hands down.

shrughes posted:

With a weak lid the goal is to have the base absorb the shock. With no DVD drive and less weight this is more doable than before. The Thinkpad latches were especially bad because of how much space they took up and how complicated they were, since there are two latches connected by a rod. They definitely impact usability too, they make the case harder to open.
None of this is true for my T400, in fact these latches have saved the thing several times. If you want to buy a computer with a lovely built lid so that the "base unit can absorb the shock", whatever that means, and you can buy a new laptop every couple of months - go ahead.

I am willing to specifically argue against this. My closed and locked thinkpad absorbs any shock from dropping vastly better than if it were open and the base unit would somehow absorb the impact (?). If it is closed, it is a solid block with no moving parts whatsoever. Throwing an open laptop around would be a disaster. The only parts I have ever broke by dropping the laptop were the ones with moving parts - hard drive, dvd drive and such. The lid has minor scratches where it hit the floor but it didn't even deform one bit. The screen is still perfect.

Additionally, I can say for myself that the T400, latches and all, is probably the most robust and money worth consumer product I have EVER bought, out of all things. Considering how I go through electronic devices otherwise, me having this thing for 4,5 years is a loving wonder. I may be lucky, but it is a tough motherfucker thanks to all those little features which saved it in the end. The only reason why they should do away with any of those features is if they are demonstrateably better.

The T440 is not going to be immensely thinner or lighter, it is still going to be a full featured laptop. Only with the new hinge design and without either a clamshell or hinges. After a while the hinges will tire and it will tend to open all the time. This will add to the stress on those parts of downright damage it in some situations. If it falls down, it will still fall on the lid and the lid still has to take the abuse. You still need some sort of physical protection to keep it from flopping around if you are moving about with the thing and don't want to put it into these stupid sleeves all the drat time.

Which brings me to Dell
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Dell-neue-Business-Notebooks-Latitude-3000-5000-und-7000-vorgestellt.100261.0.html
The German page of Notebookcheck has some in depth previews of the new Dell Models.
Built quality of the 3000 (Vostro) and 5000 newcomers is apparently worse than their predecessors, even though the hardware is good and the designs are arguably better looking.
3000 still has the Vostro keyboard. I have used it, it is poo poo.
Sadly, the 7000 series is also not up to snuff when it comes to built quality. This is apparently due to the placement of the battery so it might not change. It has a docking port ability and a removable battery. The keyboard is good. It has a good IPS display - if you get the Touch version.
Lots of pictures and specs in the article.

Well at least the 6000 series stays the way it is, which is apparently better in terms of built quality than the 7000 series. Then again the design and the off-centered keyboard... ugh. Well let's see how the T440 turns out.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 28, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Socrates16 posted:

Any word on the durability of Toshiba's more expensive laptops? I spec'd out a Qosmio to 1,200, and the bang for the buck is pretty awesome http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000098978&src=EXPL&cm_mmc=explore-_-bto_page-_-qosmio-_-X70 My current 500 dollar toshiba has deteriorated too quickly in a year and ten months.

Once upon a time a boss of mine used a 17" Toshiba, apparently it was nice.

A friend of mine had a midrange Toshiba for years, until it was stolen. She said it was her favorite notebook so far.

Then I heard they were good once, then bad and now possibly not so bad again.

None of this is solid information but yeah

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Naffer posted:

A hands-on review of the 440s was posted on a german forum. Translated link:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...G-BILDER-VIDEOS

The short video showing the clickpad makes it look unbelievably bad. There's no way Lenovo would actually ship that is there?

Apparently the trackpoint is now unusable. Good job Lenovo!

Soooo, has anyone experience with the Delll 64xx series?

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 30, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

shrughes posted:

It seems usable to me.

The reviewer says the buttons are now no longer in a good position. Additionally if you rest your thumb on the pad, which is pretty natural while using the nipple, it sometimes does not register clicks anymore.

go3 posted:

If youre going to use a laptop for more than 5 minutes just buy a loving mouse

The trackpoint is actually pretty good to use instead of a mouse, to a point where I don't really see a reason to sub a mouse.
If you do not have a trackpoint, by all means, carry your mouse along.
However the nipple has some advantages even over a real mouse, for example that you can keep your hands in perfect writing position even while using the mouse. I even used to play ego-shooters with the nipple, which works surprisingly well.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

shrughes posted:

I own one (the trackpad on a Thinkpad Helix). The buttons seem to be in a fine position. Resting the thumb on the pad will cause clicks to not register after you type a key, until you lift your thumb and put it back down again. Which is bad. That's the exact set of circumstances where this happens, there aren't any others. But I discovered yesterday that if you set the palm detection to the lowest level, the clicks will register in that case as well. I set palm detection to the lowest level yesterday but haven't had enough time to say yet whether there are any downsides. My general overall qualitative feel for the trackpad and trackpoint is that using it seems almost no worse than before. Where it's worse is that I haven't figured out how to get the middle trackpoint button to actually act as a middle button, and not some scroll thing. I'd gotten so used to other kinds of computers that I'd forgotten about how nice it was to have a working middle button. Edit: This kind of works but it's glitchy: http://johnbruer.com/2013/05/18/middle-click-thinkpad-synaptics-touchpad/

I dunno I would disable the trackpad as I usually use the trackpoint while working (ie. being able to keep my hands in writing position and have more speed and precision as opposed to a touchpad), however when I am lying on the couch or something where my hand is more horizontal to the base unit and I don't need to type a lot, I tend to use the touchpad.

They just should find a way to to make both things work. They had in in the previous incarnations... That they apparently don't test this poo poo anymore shows that they don't give a gently caress. No proper middle button on a thinkpad? whaaaat

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I am looking to buy a robust thinkpadish (milspec, nipplemouse etc) setup for university and work but also gaming. I have ample amounts of money right now and I would like to buy a thing as soon as possible.

Essentially I am facing the following Problem:
a) Buy a Dell E6540 to get at least some gaming out of my new laptop (Games I missed in the last three years, the Dell has a 2GB Radeon which should run Skyrim and the likes pretty well) - 1900 € with all the bell and whistles OR
b) Wait for the 14" Dell or the T440, as the 14" form factor is better imo OR
b) Build a compact desktop computer for gaming and get something like the X1 for my mobile needs (or possibly wait for a better Haswell portable notebook alternative) 1300€ for the X1 and around 600€ for a gaming PC.

I just can't seem to decide.
On the one hand I don't need futureproof gaming capability and I play games not very often. It is nice to have one machine (and a docking port) like the Dell to do everything. I have such a setup at work and it loving rocks to just plop your laptop into the Port and use your keyboard and mouse without going through all the connection shittery. And how often am I going to use the gaming desktop? In the last three years I played almost nothing. I really want to, but I probably will have little time.

On the other hand a desktop will always be better at gaming and upgrading and a mobile computer like the X1 is better than chuggin around a 15" Dell. In three years that 15" Dell will not be able to play any new games, yet I will still have to carry it around. If I have an X1 it will not be very fast or run any games, but it is enough for working and writing for university. Additionally if I have some heavy computation to do, I would have the desktop.

How good is the current gen X1? It does not have Haswell, but it still has some good thinkpad features such as mouse buttons which will go away in the coming update (at which point the price will jump back to 2k€ as well - it is now at 1400 € for the Carbon).
I mean having an X1 is distinctly about portability and battery power. If the Haswell is a big step up in this regard, it would probably make no sense to buy a non-Haswell X1 now, even if it is not expensive. The T440s is a candidate, but with the lovely touchpad and beeing available in October, I dunno. It is only 900 €, which is amazingly cheap for a thinkpad here in Europe. This goes to show that it doesn't have the same quality as the X1 or earlier thinkpads, but maybe it's still fine. And for gaming and heavy calculations I could get the desktop PC.

I just don't know.
Ideally I would like to buy a thing right loving now.

Help,

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Ok I'll bite. Why?
It is known that Lenovo installs about one hundred (no joke) processes in new systems. Many are definitly not needed.

DrDork posted:

e; Then again, what the gently caress, Lenovo? No 730M in the US (but offer the 1080p that would make a dGPU make sense), and then limit the T440 to 1600x900, but offer a dGPU which makes little sense at that resolution? It's like they want to make sure that it's impossible for people to get all of what they want in one laptop. :commissar:

But it makes sense if you do any work which requires a dGPU? Which is what T440 would be often used for?

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

You're misreading it:

e: lack of any announced dGPU on the T440 is concerning though. Maybe this is what the -p model is for?

e2: wait, looks like I'm wrong and the X240 gets 1920x1080. that is terrible

The Dell E6440 will most likely feature a fast 2GB GPU. If the T440 has no dGPU, Lenovo just hosed itself. No way in hell.

Loucks posted:

Haha "Hey TrackPoint users! gently caress you!" -Lenovo

That too. Also here goes the dream of a T440 with good lid/hinges/clamshell and locking mechanism etc. But we kinda already knew that.

Magic Underwear posted:

It looks like poo poo. How can you even advertise "latchless lid" (i.e. we cheaped out) and "180 degree lid" (who gives a poo poo?) as features. And hey we removed the dGPU as a bonus.

I know ThinkPad has gone way downhill since it became Lenovo but jesus this is a shame.

Also the non 1080p on the most premium thinkpad model. And yeah, the price. It is now really cheap, even in Europe. Yeeeeah surely the quality is still top notch.

I dunno I was really hoping for the T440s being what it is but the T440 and T540 being the same sturdy machines with solid dGPU and performance options.
Instead we get an inferior quality ultrabook and an inferior quality ultrabook which is fatter and has a bad screen

lol Lenovo

"he new modern design of the ThinkPad laptops delivers the performance users expect in business while eliciting the excitement and appeal of a consumer designed laptop."

"We would really prefer to only build overpriced consumer notebooks"

lol Lenovo

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 3, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Nevermind, the T440 will be available with a blazingly fast Geforce 720M, so the T440S actually has a better graphics card

ahahahahahahaha

The T440S has better all around specs than the T440. Why would anyone anywhere buy the T440?

Lenovo, I just can't

shrughes posted:

Lenovo haters:

If you want a 14" laptop with physical mouse buttons, there's always...

what is it and does it have a nipplemouse?

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

dissss posted:

Same reasons you'd buy a T430 over a T430s - more battery options and a cheaper base price.

and here I thought you'd buy the T430 because of the NVS for CAD. But apparently it's the cheaper machine. Eh okay

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

signalnoise posted:

So with more information available, how does the X240 compare to the XPS12? This question is possibly to torment myself for my purchase, I already bought the XPS12, the new X-series Thinkpad is the other one I would've been waiting for.

Judging by what we know of the new thinkpads, if you don't necessarily need the trackpoint and the durability, any other laptop like the xps is going to be a better value in any case. Since the reviews of the T440s (which is apparently now the top-of-the-line Thinkpad) call the durability into question, you shouldn't regret your purchase of the XPS. If you are not one of us poor trackpoint suckers, you are probably better off.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Meltycat posted:

For those curious, it appears that the W540 will have the same questionable design choices "excitement and appeal of a consumer designed laptop":

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540

I was hoping that they'd decide to at least keep the trackpoint buttons, but no luck. I don't understand why companies don't see their rush to clone the Macbook Pro/Air look as free advertising for their competitors... the Lenovo isn't as blatant as say, some systems from HP, but it looks like they are slowly edging their way there. Honestly, I don't care about the color, but if they remove what made the Thinkpads special (great trackpoint, keyboard with tons of function keys, "sturdiness" features like the hinge/latch, little niceties like the indicator lights) while falling behind in other areas (still no Retina-quality displays), I don't see any reason not to get a Macbook Air or a (Retina) Macbook Pro other than maybe saving a few dollars on price (which could probably be made up by the Mac's better resale value).

I was so hoping for a more rugged/durable W with the new "design language" and trackpad if need be, but the added benefit of clamshell and lid locking - which would just enhance the value of this thing so much.

But yeah, apparently
"I want to compute some poo poo, but I want to look good doing it" is the new W540 motto. True to their heritage - after all Thinkpads became famous for being so drat good looking (all black and unwieldy) and not for things like robustness, which is for people not sitting in a artisan coffee shop (new Lenovo target group for thinkpads. Truly, the premium lifestyle market - I can't think of any competition there hmmmm).

Ugh Lenovo.
You can do whatever with the looks, no one gives a poo poo. If it looks better, fine. But Thinkpad customers don't buy it for the looks. Then we'd all be getting Macs.
But sacrificing function for looks like you did, gently caress you, wrong direction.

Case in point:

shrughes posted:

The trackpoint without physical buttons works perfectly well, with the exception that you can't configure the middle button to be a middle click without going into the registry.
lol what the hell

Weinertron posted:

I don't really know where to go because even the Latitude 6xxx series doesn't appear to have nub mice anymore.

What? Of course they do.

Edit: Please tell me they do Im gonna kill myself

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 4, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Hadlock posted:

HD4000 was pretty much built to run Skyrim @ 40fps

what?

certainly not
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Look, I know it plays on Low with all things turns off in a low resolution. Same thing says my link.

However, your post said the H4000 was "made to play Skyrim" - right after you said you connected it to a x1024 pixel monitor.
If it was truly built to play Skyrim, it would certainly run it on decent settings on a respectable resolution.
That be disingenuous yo, as it stands you should say "The HD4000 can barely run Skyrm"

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
What's the deal/use on Dell's extended battery service?
Is it worth it?

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Man, I am really torn between the Precision 4800, the Latitude E6540 and the HP Z 15.
All look great and offer good processor and graphics options.

I think the Latitude, according to notebookcheck, may not handle the CPU heat very well. But I don't know what "stress test" really means in this instance, maybe it's unrealistically running all four cores at 100% for two hours. Or maybe it really has a throttling problem which may become visible in practice.
The M4800 is a bit pricier and a tad less mobile.

unnnngh

At least Lenovo doesn't offer a proper alternative anymore.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
What I got from his post is that he wants to play current and future games.

Integrated graphics, not even the hd5k, is not what he wants to buy.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Does anyone know any details about the workstation graphics cards AMD FirePro 5100m vs. the Quatro 1100K, especially in what scenarios one is better than the other and how they impact mobility of a laptop?

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd call service because in my experience they've been very generous and don't really care about stuff like that.

I would also try just re-seating the ribbon connector, etc., before buying parts.

Xaris posted:

Thanks. I'll call but I didn't want to end up shipping it only to have them say "we'll fix it for $700" or something.

I'd be surprised if it's the ribbon because the LCD has a visible line when it's still off but I'll mess around with it.

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me with Lenovo Business support and my old T400 (still within 3 year warranty).
e-key stopped working and they claimed it was because of drop damage.

They wanted to have 700€ for the replacement of the mainboard. The T400 was worth barely 300-400 euros at that point.
If I was to have it sent back it was 100€ service charge. Otherwise they would generously throw it in the trash for me.

Don't sent anything to Lenovo if there is even a chance it is not covered by warranty or your laptop is not brand loving new. They are definitly NOT lenient on this (though they picked it up the same day and would have it fixed in a hurry)

Edit:
I mean I was able to get around the 100 euros by threatening legal action (I would have lost) and a tremendous amount of haggeling, but Lenovo is definitly not a company like Logitech or somesuch, which just sends you a new mouse without asking any questions.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 21, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I think the T440s is fine for anyone NOT looking for exactly those qualities it has lost. Anyone here has pretty much said as much. But I will wait for the notebookrcheck review before I decide on this fully.
The 440s is available in Germany since beginning of this month and this dude has just bought one. Of course he likes it. Let's also remember that there was a user review which pretty much stated "the trackpad is horrible, buildquality is much better than the 431, yet still not perfect" from a person who also bought that laptop.

On the other hand notebookcheck has just reviewed the first of the Dell 7000 series. Good ultrabook, not as sturdy as the 6000 range apparently. They even like the budget S440 more in build quality

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Nitis posted:

I thought I'd throw this in here, since I was looking into the Lenovo Return Policy:

Lenovo Return Policy
Lenovo will accept the return or exchange of a Product in its original package for a full refund in cases of Lenovo error (*see gift card policy below). Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount (*see gift card policy below). All returns must be initiated within 21 days of the invoice date.

No such thing as a free ride.

It's really time you Americans discover the wonderful world of consumer protection laws :smug:

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

DNova posted:

Given the choice, I'll stick with not paying the 70-150% premium to buy electronics in Europe.

Nah man it's just... like the Latitude is just... 2100 € :eng99:

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

shrughes posted:

Some reaction to the TrackPoint changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXa0XzNvuZU

it's perfect

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

dissss posted:

The poster said 710m which is essentially the same speed as an NVS5400

In several "synthetic" benchmarks the NVS5400 runs just barely above HD4400 levels.
But if you go to notebookcheck and look at the game benchmarks, it works surprisingly well. Specifically it is faster than the 710m by a few fps.

And remember, they only tested the 1GB variety.
The T430 has actually the 2GB NVS5400 built in, which was never tested there as far as I know.

At some point, if the price of the T430 continues to drop, it will become an option for people who need a T-series laptop and also some light to medium gaming. Around here the T430 with a 2 gig nvs 5400 now runs below 1000 euros. That certainly is an option to consider if you want a 14" of good quality and gaming capability up to current games which is not an apple.
Comparable Dells und HPs are much more expensive.

In other news, notebookcheck (Germany) has now the review for the Dell 7440 up. This should interest a lot of people:
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Dell-Latitude-E7440-Notebook.101912.0.html
If you are a person with money and compulsive need for a nipple mouse with real buttons, this could be your new laptop. As usual, don't get the lovely TN display. Mobility is good, keyboard is good, durability is good and battery is good. With the 47WH battery it may even be excellent. Of course a proper SSD is in order as well. Upgradeablity is there and it has all connection options you'll need.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 28, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

DrDork posted:

Sadly, the 2GB version of the NVS 5400M has long since been discontinued. It appears the 2GB versions were more or less a limited time launch special, so since sometime in June/July 2012 you've only been able to get the 1GB versions (in the US anyhow, unsure if that's the same overseas)

Here in Europe they only sell the 2GB NVS 5400 in T430 (as opposed to the 530, where it is the 1GB). Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Notebookcheck finally has their T440s review out (German, should be up on the US site in a few days).
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440s-20AQ-S00500-Notebook.102607.0.html

Some bits:
- It's really small
- The base unit, without the plastic over magnesium, feels more solid (obviously)
- The display is less stable, the hinges are pretty good but not great -> I take from this that the departure from the clamshell/latch will ultimately be an issue for some people. If you are used to carrying your laptop by the display or rough it up a lot in that area, don't
- It doesn't seem to have any protection from dust/sand while closed anymore, if you are the person who needs the clamshell/latch design for outside poo poo, this ain't it anymore
- Workmanship beyond that is fantastic
- Needs new docking station (but it still has them)
- Keyboard is great, albeit the key travel is only medium long now
- As we feared, the trackpoint usage is vastly inferior in comfort and precision with the new clickpad, ie. it sucks
- The TN panel still sucks, only the 1080p panel is IPS (yet to be tested). Both are available right now so I hope they will test the IPS one soon.
- They tested the ULV/No dGPU variant available in Germany since last month. Obviously if you care about speed, this is not what you buy. That being said it holds up very well for its specs
- Battery life is not amazing. It is very good when sleeping (11h), but non-idle values are comparable to a decked out last gen T430 (like 5 hours, 1,5 hours full load)

If you are a trackpoint user or need ruggedness beyond office use the changes suck. We knew that but now it is kinda of official.

For everyone else it is pretty much dependent on the price: If the street price isn't too high, it is probably what most itt will buy in the coming year(s)

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 1, 2013