Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nitis posted:

So, I'm back to the y510p. I know this thread is somewhat down on the SLI option, but it still looks enticing for it's price.

I have the y500 sli model, that's the generation older model with ivy Bridge and 650m. My experience has been great: SLI makes a big difference in performance without any overheating issues. If you're looking for gaming performance I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

Does the SLI config avoid getting throttled because of temps?

In y500 (previous model) laptops the second GPU is on the other side and has dedicated cooling. I haven't had throttling issues with my y500 650m SLI.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

I'll make a HOTS thread if nobody knows but since there's lots of 410/510p etc owners here: how in the hell do you prevent the GPU from throttling all the way to 400mhz on battery? It's driving me nuts - I have the Intel GPU for battery life, so I don't care about power savings. It brings framerates down to nothing and I can't adjust settings without messing it up for when I'm plugged in. I've tried changing power management settings in the control panel to "Prefer maximum performance" from "adaptive", and messed around with a dated PowerMizer utility, neither of which has done anything. Thermals are fine.

At least for y500 (the previous model), you cannot change this behaviour. It's hardcoded into BIOS if I understood correctly. You need to be plugged in when gaming.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HauntedRobot posted:

The Lenovo Y510 seems to be recommended a lot but I've heard it runs hot, I don't know how much of a problem that actually is.

The heat is not a big problem, but at least the y500 model underclocks the GPU to 20% performance when running on battery. I think it is the same with the y510 model.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

Google Drive is integrated with the file manager in ChromeOS, but you can use any remote storage that has a Web interface

There are actually extensions to the file manager in ChromeOS for at least onedrive, Dropbox and ftp servers. You can then access those services directly from the OS.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

roomforthetuna posted:

Basically, unless your usage patterns find you feeling processor-constrained a lot, the Plus is better than the Pro, in addition to cheaper.

I'm using the Asus C302CA which has similar specs with the Samsung Pro model. I would recommend the x86 processor over ARM any day, the android apps work fine on my system and you can definitely utilize the extra power.

X86 also has better support for crouton Linux, you can run full Linux apps and Steam for gaming. My device gets lots of use as a portable team inhome streaming device.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried charging a small Core M laptop/tablet from a regular powerbank through usb 3.1 type-c? There are several power profiles (p. 5) in the standard and it seems like it should work with the 5V/2A power bank, but it might also require 12V/1.5-3A. I don't have all the hardware to test it yet myself at the moment, which would've been pretty easy.

My Asus Chromebook C302CA seems only to slow charge with 5v on from those (it has a notification of possibly not charging). I think it requires 12v to charge properly. The power banks work in a pinch though.

I'm not sure if there are already power banks available with the USB-C PD spec which should provide the correct voltage for high powered charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PSWII60 posted:

Hey all. I'm trying to help a friend's kid pick out her first laptop and I'm a bit rusty. The strongest game she might play is Saints Row 4 but for the most part she plays Minecraft and Sims 4 and just needs something for school. Should I be looking for something with dedicated graphics or would integrated be sufficient for her and is there a recommended model or series I should look at?

Check out the new Ryzen laptops (4500u or 4700u) the integrated graphics is quite good. HP Envy x360 13 inch is a great model in sub 900$ price range, Lenovo Flex 5 for a cheaper alternative