Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hi thread, I don't know anything about laptops other than my work gives me a new one every few years.

My wife is looking to get a laptop and was wondering if I could get a recommendation in here. She has zero interest in gaming and the budget is probably between 500-1000. Looking to grab a windows machine. I think she'd enjoy a 120hz screen if that is an option outside of gaming laptops.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Lockback posted:

That would not be a windows machine.

Does she want one that's really portable or something that'll mostly be on a desk as a basically desktop machine?

Portability is not a concern so mostly on a desk or in her lap on the couch.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

So I popped in here a few pages ago asking for some recommendations for a Windows laptop for my wife. Some posters recommended she just get one of the new Macbooks and after talking with her about what she actually wants to do with her laptop it's looking like that's what we are going to buy.

One question I had for the thread, if she is just browsing the internet, watching some streaming video, and making the occasional call using her webcam, is she likely to see any major difference in performance between the 8gb and 16gb of RAM versions of the Macbook M1 Air?

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2021