Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

shrughes posted:

Somebody pasted this into an IRC channel, it's not my fault for reposting, don't shoot the messenger please.

The funny thing is, something like a Vaio S series with a 640M LE is perfectly fine for gaming in a small form factor.

There's a difference between gaming on medium settings for modern games and having it be perfectly playable, and being one of those fools that wants one of those enormous plastic hulks that sounds like a wind tunnel and will crush your legs if you try to use it as a laptop.

But yes, that image is absolutely awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

dissss posted:

Why do you think it needs a touchscreen? Has she already used a laptop with a touchscreen and actually found it useful for anything?

Some people enjoy reading text through a haze of finger grease? I don't know.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GokieKS posted:

Build quality on every Inspiron I've ever seen has also been dreadful.

That never used to be quite true; back in the day (what, early 2000s or so) the Inspirons were just rebranded Latitudes that were just rebranded Precisions. Sometimes you were a BIOS flash away to some artificially locked out feature, like lower RAM speed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GokieKS posted:

Fine, every Inspiron I can remember. Certainly all the ones I've come across in the last 5 to 8 years have been dreadful.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, most consumer level laptops are plastic and a bit crap. It was more of a trip down memory lane.

I wonder when it became cheaper to make a separate and worse line than just re-use parts throughout?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrughes posted:

If the Vaio Z could squeeze in an ethernet port then I don't see why others can't. Similarly, they could fit a RAM slot into the motherboard without significantly affecting thickness if they're willing to cut a hole in the motherboard, but I doubt that's a standard component. The thing is, 99% of consumers aren't going to swap RAM, especially now that everything has 4 GB.

I wish they did have ethernet ports, though -- I managed to save a relative of mine $500 every month or two in "tech support" expenses by telling them to plug their laptop in directly with an ethernet cable instead of trying to use wireless when the router was 6 feet away.

I'm with you, I think the Vaio Z was fine.
We're getting to a point with laptops that's akin to that with phones. We keep making it thinner for no good purpose. I've never, ever thought my Vaio Z12 was heavy in any way (~1.4kg) yet it has room for an optical drive as well as its built in RAID SSDs. (I replaced the optical drive now with another SSD).

My girlfriend's Vaio S13 (Premium, Magnesium/Carbon Fibre, i7-3540M!) is also a wonderful thing, and knowing down the line I could swap the optical drive out for another large SSD is icing.
My preference is for light (<1.6kg) laptops that are 13" that have discrete graphics, no touchscreen, matte finish preferable, etc.. and a DPI that's usable at 100%. So 13" 1600x900 is basically perfect in my eyes. Nothing grabs my attention that much right now, and I'm happy with the Z still.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 17, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrughes posted:

I think the OP is shite for the record. One thing wrong with the Vaio Pro is that it's 13" and not 14 or 15" like the person requested. But also, its keyboard isn't as good as an MBA's or T440s or X1 Carbon's or even whatever capacitive touch function key monstrosity the X3's turns out to be. It's a lame version of the Vaio Z, even if it has a better trackpad and keyboard.

Although it has great battery life, and I swear reading an AnandTech it was the most efficient Windows laptop at idle they'd tested.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 18, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

LogicNinja posted:

So I understand that integrated graphics cards are Worse, but are they so much Worse that I won't be able to run Black Flag or etc? Like I said, the percentage of new releases that I want to play is pretty small, so I'm hesitant to get a heavier, desktop-replacement style laptop that is also nonconvertible just for that. I'd rather just turn off Gorgeous Water Ripples and 10-Dimensional Super-Integrated Shadowing, if I'll still be able to play.

Yeah, you're expecting too much from Intel 4400 graphics. They're at the point where you can run slightly older titles at the lowest settings.

Black Flag is brand new and demanding.

If you think 20~fps at on the very lowest settings is OK, go ahead.
Bioshock Infinite fares a tiny bit better, but it's still not likely to be good experience.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 18, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wasting posted:

Apologies in advance for not scouring the whole thread.

The OP mentions that there is no need for a gaming laptop unless you work on an oilrig, but I basically do, except I move around a lot more than someone on an oilrig would. I quite literally live in hotels, trailers, taxis, planes, and on trains, and my current (about 5 years old) laptop can no longer support even my modest gaming habit.

I'd like to get something that will last, again, in terms of performance rather than durability. I don't need something I can run over in my truck -- a little care and a decent case has gone a long way.

And I'm really not concerned with price, though I'd like to not overpay.

Thanks!

If someone where to ask me what "gaming" laptop they'd get, I'd probably say Gigabyte P34G, but that's because it has it all: decent size and weight, along with very fast components such as a quad core i7, Geforce 760M, 8GiB RAM, and a 1TB HDD and 128GB mSATA SSD for the OS. Newegg.

There are no doubt cheaper options available, but I don't really keep track of fat and plasticy laptops with low res screens.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 19, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

dissss posted:

You don't need dedicated graphics but you do need a good quality display - this is going to seriously narrow down your choices

Photoshop can do operations that are GPU accelerated too. I have no idea how that scales or what is reasonable for it, though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Seriously? You've never seen Back To The Future?

That would be an absolute travesty, but looking at his response, it looks likely.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

LogicNinja posted:

son of e: I'm also looking at the Gigabyte U24T - what the hell is the catch? It basically looks like the P34G only with a touchscreen instead of a higher-definition screen.

I think the vast majority on here would see 1366x768 over 1920x1080 as a "catch".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

You can set the resolution to 1600x900 right? Just do that.

DPI to 200% would be the correct answer.

That said, I'd rather just see cheaper, good quality 1600x900 screens at 13" instead of this high res nonsense.

Why is that we can either have 1366x768 or 325092850924895082x43209852095824360698 screens now?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

They are ridiculously cute.

However, I noticed something odd:

ASUS: Battery 2-cell lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours)*
Lenovo: Battery 3-cell lithium-ion (4 hours)*

Whut? They have the same size and res screen, the same CPU, same amount of RAM, same type and size of hard drive.

How is the ASUS longer lasting with less battery power? Very odd.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hadlock posted:

you're objectively wrong if you're not a corporate user and buy a Win7 machine at this point.

Uh, it's one thing to say that Metro can be exorcised from the machine (which is reasonable), but it's another to tell people they're wrong because of what they want on their system.

It's not like Windows 7 is unsupported (security patches end: 2020-01-14).

Maybe they'll like Windows 9 which is out next year anyway, and because of the fact it's 9, not 8.2, makes me think they'll have to pay for it either way.

I do agree completely though, that a modern laptop that comes with Windows 8 installed should have Windows 8. It'll likely have lower power consumption and does have that nice boot time. But as long as people are informed and they still want 7, it's not as if it's XP or something.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 26, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm going to guess the utterly gimmicky form factor is an issue there.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Seamonster posted:

Windows really needs a new snap option to put 2x2 panes up rather than just side by side for these newfangled hiDPI panels.

Winsplit Revolution

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrughes posted:

A ha ha ha ha! Panasonic has looked at the Thinkpad Yoga and decided that, you know what, it's missing a feature.

It has a nice thick pen, too.

And ports!

It weighs 2.63 lbs (compared to 3.52 lbs for the Thinkpad Yoga), has a FHD screen, 2 mm of key travel, and advertises 14.5 hrs of battery life, whatever that means. Has a two-battery system like the AX3, X240, and T440s.

I love how the Japanese design laptops, and they love cramming a DVD drive in. My Sony vaio Z12's DVD drive is so thin it literally does not have a lid - the underside of the keyboard itself is the "lid" for the DVD drive, to keep the thickness down. (Well, until I removed it and crammed another SSD in there).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The 11" Air works for this guy:

Rumor was he was switching to a Chromebook Pixel or something.

He got a guy on the Red Hat dev team to help him get it working on Chromebook Pixel, iirc

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

My dad needs a new laptop. He's old and set in his ways, so no MacBooks or Chromebooks for him. He'll need about a 15" screen preferably at 1366 x 768 because his eyes are bad, and I really want to get him an SSD. Beyond that, anything that's an upgrade over his 3 year old i3 and 4gb ram is fine. Build quality is my main concern here, as I don't want it to fall apart on him.

I don't have a quick and dirty suggestion (although my instinct would be a business class laptop at the low end, they're all 15" 1366x768.. god, if that's your requirement, you have it easy), but you may want to include a budget so people have an idea of where to look.

Edit: wait a minute, he has a 3 year old laptop with a Core i3 and 4GiB RAM? What's wrong with that if it was upgraded with an SSD? (Unless it's falling apart).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Vinlaen posted:

Are there any Windows laptops with a glass trackpad similar to the MacBook?

Basically, I want a MacBook Air but native Windows...

So -- what's the best Windows laptop trackpad? (glass-type only). I also only want something around 13" and lower resolution is perfectly fine...

Boot Camp does give you native Windows. It's not emulated in any way.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sports posted:

Panasonic is really really overpriced for a Windows machine, though.

"For a Windows machine"

Not commenting on the specifics of that laptop or anything, but it's insane to think that an Apple logo ads actual value to the machine. (Does in the second hand market, though!)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hadlock posted:

faux leather lid

Their idea of classy, but it looks tacky as all hell on both devices.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

To be honest, worrying about the ergonomics of a keyboard an inch or two left of centre while staggered rows and QWERTY are still prevalent seems like pissing into the wind.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

deadfish posted:

until a new input method is drastically easier to learn

Alphabetical is by far the easiest to learn for someone who hasn't seen any keyboard before, but there's no way alphabetic keyboards would be very ergonomic.

Just a shame you can put together an awesome keyboard for your desktop, but all laptops are basically the same.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 25, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Don't know if it was mentioned, but seeing as a lot of people bought Lenovos in this thread, there's a battery recall going on for certain models.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrughes posted:

The Toughbook CF-52

Isn't this an old model, though?

I have a Dell Precision M4400 that has a 15.4" 1920x1200 screen, last of the 1920x1200 Dells, I believe.

(Although it's so heavy and large I have a Sony Vaio Z12 (1600x900 13.1") I actually use most of the time).

vvv ahh, sorry, a cursory search only yielded much older stuff

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 3, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

It looks like the end is nigh for the Sony VAIO line which is being sold off to a private equity firm. VAIOs will probably continue to be sold in Japan for a while, but US sales will be discontinued. The deal is still not completed and comes after an acquisition of the line by Lenovo fell thru.

Kind of a sad end for the only laptops Steve Jobs thought were worth putting OS X on.

I still love my Vaio Z12.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

rivid posted:

Hey guys, I'm still ruing a Lenovo R61i I bought in 2008. As you can imagine, the thing can run like slug sometimes. It's got two gigs of ram and a 1.86 Ghz processor. According to the motherboard that's in it (specs here), I can upgrade to a 2.80 GHz processor, and 4 gigs of RAM. Well, 3 I suppose, because I can't support a 64-bit processor. Right? Anyways I would be able to get this stuff for less than forty dollars. What do you guys think? I think it beats $600 for a new laptop for the time being.

I'd do as Wilford Cutlery says, and not bother messing around with the CPU. 4GiB RAM and an SSD will give the machine some extra kick.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

That chipset has 64-bit drivers, but the crucial.com configurator says max RAM for your model is 4GB. I'd go ahead and max it out at 4 so you'll get 3.?? and keep your RAM in dual channel configuration.

The major speed upgrade will come from an SSD, there's a megathread about them here.

The SSD can be moved to a newer machine when that time comes, too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Laopooh posted:

Well I ended up going with the Acer Aspire V7-482PG-9884 after reading the anandtech review. I almost ordered it last night for $1099 but decided to sleep on it, waking up to a price of $935 thanks to... The bank error in my favor? Radical. I thought it was a sale starting today but it's back to $1099 now :kimchi: Used the "savings" to get a Crucial M500 240GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive.

code:
Intel® Core™ i7-4500U 1.8GHz | Turbo Speed 3.0GHz
1TB 5400RPM SATA hard drive | 24GB SSD
12GB DDR3L Dual-Channel Memory
14" 1920x1080 AUO Full HD Multi-touch screen, with 10 finger touch
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M w/ 4GB VRAM
Even at $1099 it looks like a decent value for what it's got so I'll report back after I get it.:?:

Huh, surprisingly nice for an Acer, and not bad value. Good call on the MSATA SSD.

vv To get a 750M in a Macbook Pro, you need to get the 2.3GHz 15" version, which is $2600 (although that's with a 512GB PCIe SSD!), so the Acer is massively better value if you want the graphics performance.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 10, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Seamonster posted:

Also keep in mind that not all 750m are created equal: the DDR3 version in the ACER will be anywhere from 10-20% slower than the DDR5 version of the same graphics package elsewhere and thats with an apples to apples CPU comparison (which it is not here).

Hm, I didn't notice it saying DDR3, but now you mention it, 4GiB VRAM is enormous, and no doubt achieved using DDR3.

Also, the title of the page says "Asprie". Quality control.

If I was in the market for a decent laptop that could also game, it'd probably be the Gigabyte P34G-V2.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

if you want a powerful, thin and light Windows laptop with a 14" IPS 1080 screen, there's the Gigabyte P34G-V2.

Fixed. This HP thing isn't even that great, and not close to being worth the price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Which is $130, so don't forget that not insignificant cost when you're pricing it out.

Not to mention you'd need giraffe-length legs to comfortably use it on your lap..

No doubt SOL if you have a fat gut, too.

Nice screen, though.

My personal desire would be a chromebook pixel with a core i7-4558u, 8GiB RAM, and a 256GB PCIe SSD. Running windows of course.

Closest you can get is a Macbook pro, I guess.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 27, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

I picked an SP3 up the other day and was worried about how it would fit on my average length lap with the type cover. It actually is a great fit and I'm enjoying my right leg not being slowly cooked like my old thinkpad would do.

My gut is (relatively) flat though.

That's fair, then. The reviews I saw made it look fairly uncomfortable if you wanted to use the trackpad.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

All I have open is:

Firefox
Chrome

"All"? Firefox and Chrome at the same time with any decent number of tabs open in each will gobble their way through your RAM fiercely.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tai posted:

Too much tech talk after reading the OP. Kinda blew my mind how much lap tops have changed.

Here's what I'm after if a few gentle goons could be so nice to help the lazy/stupid.

£500/$700 is the absolute max price tag. I'd really rather it were lower. What is the best bang for that price currently going? Not interested in resells / second hand.

Yes I want to play games but it isn't going to be anything that needs NASA hardware. Think SWG, EVE (medium settings and won't lag on fleet fights), HoN, sim city 4. Obviously, if I can get a better gpu then great as it will open up more options in my steam library for stuff like Deus Ex, BF4. Not sure it's possible with the quoted price tag but hey ho. I'd rather pay 400 for a machine that plays HoN etched fine then pay 500 that still plays it fine but is able to play Deus ex at 10 fps on minimum setting.

Thanks in advance from the tech stupid.

For that money, used is better than new in my opinion, but for new, you're pretty much talking poorly built 1366x768 15.6" machines that won't play any games well. Spending it on a desktop would be massively superior for gaming, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: something like this, an asus with a geforce 720m, seems to be about the most you can get for the money.
https://www.ebuyer.com/584159-asus-x550cc-laptop-x550cc-xo071h

720m is okay for lowest settings
https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-720M.90247.0.html

vv you can get by with something like the above linked machine, it's surprisingly reasonable looking, but do bear in mind you are trying to get a cheap gaming laptop, which barely exists in a reasonable form

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 12, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

So Netbooks are really dead and I'm looking for something with that high level of portability, but in a budget price range. Is there anything like that out there?

My work just bought a bunch of Acer TravelMate B113 with i3s and 4GiB RAM, they're pretty cheap and definitely in the spirit of Ye Olde Netbooks, but whilst having an OK screen res (for the size!) and CPU. (No, they're not for staff, these are for kids to use!)

It's nothing special, but it's the closest you'll find to a netbook these days.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 20, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Are integrated graphics passable these day or can they still not play like 80% of games and stutter through HD video?

Don't pretend you'll be playing recent games on integrated graphics (with a few high end exceptions, such as Intel 5100/5200, some of the high end AMD APU), but HD video is no problem whatsoever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrughes posted:

I think 6000 and up, really. But it depends on what your standard of quality is.

Dunno, we recently bought a stack of Latitude 3340, and they have nice rubberised edges, a water sealed keyboard, and a hinge that goes past 180°. They seem like they wouldn't fall apart.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I've never heard of that program, ever, and I've been around the block a couple of times.

It has definitely been mentioned on SH/SC in the past. Never used it myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

HauntedRobot posted:

Still hunting for my unicorn gamedev laptop.

* Must be able to handle Unity (decent CPU+memory) and decent-ish 3D (last gen shooters, etc)
* Must be able to run that stuff on battery power only (don't always have power to hand)
* 4+ hours battery life
* Not too hot (last two Clevos died of heat and don't want to bake my nuts in any case)
* Sub £1500 ideally
* Must ship to the UK from either the manufacturer or trusted resellers
* Bulk however is not much of a problem.

The problem seems to be no middle ground between those that have unacceptable compromises and the ones that are straight up trying to be desktop replacements - I'm not after running current gen stuff with everything turned up to max.

The Lenovo Y510 seems to be recommended a lot but I've heard it runs hot, I don't know how much of a problem that actually is.

I'd been looking at the Asus N56 but the only way to get a good later model one in the UK was via stuff like "bobslaptopworld" based in Spain through Amazon.

Gigabyte P34G-V2?

Several different configurations on Amazon, and no doubt on other UK sites..