Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I've been thinking of getting a new computer, for classroom use, and for drawing. So I want something with a digitizer pen. But I don't want to spend a fortune, and I don't want something that can't be repaired. I have kids, and even disregarding that have had to fix enough poo poo on laptops that I'm not willing to consider a Microsoft Surface.

Weight isn't much of a concern. I just want a digitizer, a screen 12 inches or larger, Windows or possibly Linux (I mostly use Krita), at least 8 gigabytes of RAM (preferably more or upgradeable), CPU not more than a couple generations old, and that it not be glued together or otherwise impossible to take apart or reassemble. So long as it's got USB ports I don't much care if it has a keyboard or not. I'd prefer something relatively rugged (like Thinkpad E-series or better)

I don't think I'd want to spend more than maybe 800 or 900 dollars, less being better. I'm willing to buy used/refurbished. I live in China, so my options there are broad and include non-US-market stuff.

What models should I be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
New HD (or SSD) is cheap and is an easy DIY replacement. You do not need to buy a new OS if you have the key that pc was using for windows before. (It is old enough that it may not be stored in the firmware, you will probably need to type one in) This is 100 bucks tops, for a decent 512 gigabyte SSD.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have a thinkpad yoga 12. The caps lock key is going nuts, turning on and off at random. When it is on, the trackpad doesn't work. Also the wsx column don't work with the shift key pressed.

Anyone know what could be causing this? The cable.looks fine, but this looks like a pretty PITA replacenent (and a new KB is like 3 times the price of most thinkpad KBs) so if I can avoid that I would like to. I couldn't see anything obviously.wrong when I popped the cap off, but I couldn't see how to get the plastic clip thingy off, so I am not sure there isn't something stuck under the dome or.something.