Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

The ultra-high resolution screens sound nice in concept, but what's the point when you have to blow up everything to double size just to get legible text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I don't get what Lenovo's thinking, launching the Yoga 11S and Thinkpad Helix without Haswell...

I want one of their laptops, but I'm not paying over a thousand dollars for a machine with a last-gen processor.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Pretty much the only thing I care about in a laptop is an excellent keyboard. Following that, priorities are low weight and compact size.

I'm still using an old x120e because it doesn't make my wrists ache after 30 minutes of typing. The machine feels really slow at this point, though.

Thinking about maybe upgrading to one of the new Thinkpad 13 models in a few months, but does anyone have any other recommendations based mainly on keyboard quality?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

TenaciousTomato posted:

Not too shabby

This sounded too good to be true but .38 inches / 2.3 pounds is just wrong.

The actual spec sheet says "starting at 0.78 inches / 3.2 pounds":
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5SqB82G6YgiVkF0cGJwZmloYkU/view

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Bought the SL3 13" because I like the aspect ratio, and it's a nice machine, but the battery life is not good. Looks like under 6 hours with light usage.

I feel like I'm going to return this and get an XPS 13. It dies faster than the 4-year old machine I was replacing...

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

ilkhan posted:

How the hell does it get 6 hours? Getting 10+ should be child's play for a machine like this. Pretty sure my book 1 still gets 6 hours of WiFi/web-browsing.

They've definitely taken a step back this generation somehow. Looking at the bogus numbers on their site, I see "14.5" hours for the SL2 was dropped to "11.5" for the new SL3.

I'm really disappointed because the build quality is super nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/28/20932406/microsoft-surface-laptop-3-13-5-inch-review-test-price-specs-features

This is a fair review of the 13" SL3. The keyboard really is very nice, although I'm not sure it's "the best" compared to Thinkpads or whatever. There's always a way to turn off that godawful autocontrast thing they mention here, but I don't know why Microsoft includes it by default on all its Surface products.

I did end up returning mine and buying a comparable 1080p XPS 13 instead, which I'm much happier with personally.