Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My 5 year old laptop got kicked in the face today. Money's tight but I don't want to buy something worse than what it's replacing.

Old laptop: HP 4530s, seemed like a steal on black friday 2012. Now I hate HP forever. 2nd generation i5 means what today? Are 5th generation i3s better?

Most taxing use is CivV, most common is browsing the internet. I think the AMD card in the probook used to be necessary for Civ V? but it looks like Intel integrated is sufficient for that.

I'm seeing refurbished Thinkpads with i3s for $314, or i5s for $411. (Which Thinkpad series do I need to avoid? IIRC T and X are the "good" ones but are L/E/whatever decent?)

Or an inspiron i5-5200U for $329?

Are any of these obvious (to you guys) mistakes, is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is woot's "Factory recertified" the same as micro center's? Is recertified really better than refurb? I thought it was a weasel word.

Edit: and there's absolutely no reason to look at amd right? Even Apus seem to underperform integrated graphics

kaschei fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 30, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Any ideas for a (maybe older) laptop with a quality screen? Preferably 14"-15.6" and not super heavy. Not a netbook, not a mac, but I really don't need latest and greatest anything.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

To a great extent I mean the qualities that don't always show up in specs, like no backlighting artifacts or strobing. I don't need professional color fidelity or anything, maybe this is a solved problem but the last laptop I purchased I cheaped out and the screen had an aura due to backlighting around the edge, and very strict vertical viewing angles. I'd like a laptop I can enjoy a movie on and comfortably read. I need to be able to do some basic office stuff and run, like, PyCharm, but won't be doing any heavy lifting computationally or playing anything particularly taxing.

1920x1080 minimum, would consider paying more for higher res because it makes reading text less stressful but I assume this would be a big driver of costs. Don't need anything fancy as far as refresh rate, and I can control the room brightness so absolute brightness is less important than even brightness and contrast.