Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I bought an Eluktronics/Clevo P670HS-G (17" 1080p G-SYNC IPS/GTX 1070/etc.) because I was going through withdrawals while stuck on the road away from my desktop gaming PC for 4 months.

I'm pretty sure that when I get home I'm going to sell off my SLI 980 Ti desktop and just keep playing stuff on this laptop. I never would have considered a PC laptop prior to this trip but it turns out that playing modern games at full settings in your lap is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Desktop replacements have come a long way, and if you're happy playing at 1080p, you can definitely get away with something that is not an absolute mega-beast and 4 inches thick, as a GTX 1070 is perfectly acceptable for that, even with the 120hz screens since those have G-Sync.

Clevo are releasing their PA70 series which has a full-fat 1070 (no MAX Q stuff) and is thinner+lighter than the P670, which looks very appealing, though it'll be more expensive.

Yeah, I think I managed to come along at the right time for my first laptop as it seems like the move to Pascal-based GPUs helped close the gap between laptop and desktop performance, especially for 1080p @ 75Hz.

The 17" Clevo P670 is big/heavy but the display is really nice and it seems to have pretty good cooling, which is something I'd be more concerned about with a smaller/thinner laptop.

I'm not planning to take mine anywhere other than moving it between rooms/floors in my house so I'm OK erring on the bulkier side.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 13, 2017

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

huhwhat posted:

So, I'm looking to get the cheapest reliable M.2 PCIe SSD for my laptop and I wonder if the thread has any recommendations. Internet consensus seems to be the Samsung 960 Pro series but they're too pricey for my liking. Just need enough space to store Windows 10 on the SSD. Games and media will go on the HDD.

960 Evo?