Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well poo poo. I was thinking about buying a replacement for my 30-month-old Lenovo Y580 with a 660M GPU this summer or fall. . . but a relative just powerslammed it into the pavement "helping" me unpack from a trip. The power supply looks messed up. I haven't tried to turn it on yet but the motherboard doesn't look great through the crack. The pin-and-sleeve power connector is pushed up and back into the case.

So now I'm looking for a replacement with an abashed family willing to pay for part of the cost. I live in China but I'm in the US right now and planning to move. I know a desktop will be more powerful for the price but right now I don't want to deal with the hassle of international shipping at least once and potentially 3+ times inside the next 6 months. And I do want to play games on it, although I don't need to play the latest games at high specs at full resolution. Medium specs at a lower resolution is fine.

So what should I get? I will probably buy a desktop in 18 months and wasn't planning this purchase but now I unexpectedly want to buy a laptop with some gaming power. What's the sweet spot for price/performance right now for laptops (I know it's not what it would be in desktops.) I would like something with a high-ish end mobile GPU since after all I'm probably only going to be paying half the price. :devil:

I was pretty happy with the Y580 when I bought it, for some reference.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah wish I could wait a few months but broken laptop is broken.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why would I want a screen replacement?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Also no laptop GPU is powerful enough to game at 4K at anything approaching reasonable framerates. Heck, no single desktop card really is.

Just get the base Y50 model with the 2gb 860m. The 1080p screen is perfectly acceptable, if you're really super picky about screens it might not be the best in the world, but I definitely wouldn't say you need to replace it.

Do, however, add in a solid state drive from aftermarket. Samsung 850 EVOs are the best and most reliable on the market. Intel drives are okay I guess. Either way budget some money on top of the base model to get a decent sized SSD.

How do I deal with losing the OEM windows license and all the firmware? Like my battery control software etc.

And yeah I don't care about the latest marketing buzzword 4k screens and gaming with a million billion pixels.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Just clone the drive. You keep all the useful software and you don't have to reinstall Windows.

How do I do that when there's only one drive bay?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The most expensive model Y50 with the 500GB SSD was on sale so I got that. Thanks. Is there something wrong with the SSD that comes with the computer?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

It's overpriced and lovely.

Do you have any advice about it? lovely in what way? Am I going to have to replace it inside 2 years?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blowfish posted:

You could have gotten a free* hard drive data grave out of the deal, and probably overpaid less (unless the 500GB SSD option was less than $230 extra) :v:

It was cheaper somehow. The high end model with spinny drive was the only model not on sale(???) Maybe I'm wrong. . . but I'm also not paying for it. Also since when did Lenovo ship with McAffee? Didn't that guy like get in a gun fight with the Nicaraguan government? Makes you think about how the media worships these tech industry founders who made a ton of money by getting in on the ground floor of something huge but may or may not be insane and dumb.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

People still seriously use docking stations? I would have thought HDMI/DisplayPort and USB/Wifi printing would have basically precluded the necessity of having them. I guess if you want automated drive backups, but even that is easily achieved via eSATA/USB 3.

I'm seriously considering doing the screen swap on my Y50 and voiding the warranty... my buddy has an older model Lenovo and did it himself this past weekend after I had mentioned it and shown him that video, and he just showed me the results last night and holy poo poo those IPS panels are gorgeous. Someone share their horror story that was saved by a warranty to talk me out of it.

My last lenovo laptop had a bad GPU that would lock up the computer and throw weird swirls of color in the screen. Warranty tech remoted in and went WOAH yeah that's a bad card and lenovo replaced it for free. Took about 15 minutes to go from warranty help chat to approved.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 28, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

USB to DVI? :psylon:

We are living in the future.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well, I'm officially a big idiot. I measures my hard drive and it was 3 inches, so I ordered a 3 inch harddrive enclosure. It arrived today, and of course it's too small. It is some kind of fancy SSD enclosure. It's clearly too small for a hard drive. A standard laptop hard drive is 2.5 inches, right? I measured mine and it's not, its 3x5 inches, but I guess I should order a 2.5 inch enclosure. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well it's definitely not 4 inches wide. :shobon:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

So on a Y50 with Win 8.1 how do you disable the drat Intel card and force it to always use the 860M for everything? Messing with the Advanced Display options won't let me turn the 860 on, and if I disable the card in Device Manager it just swaps to some stupid Windows Generic Display Adapter.

Old, but in windows 8.1 you can just right-click any executable or shortcut and select "run with GPU" and it will give you a list to choose from.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am very happy with the new Y50. I can see what people are saying about the lack of color fidelity with extremely bright and saturated greens and yellows but I'm okay without flaming neon yellow and green in my life. Touch pad feels a little cheap. But it's a beast, I'm running games with maximum settings plus heavy post processing and it runs like a dream.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Touchscreen? 4k? Does my y50 have features I didn't know about?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it a good time to get a new 15 inch gaming laptop. After 5 years my Lenovo Y50 has hinge and frame problems.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha so apparently my Lenovo Y50 has a known issue where the mounting brackets for the hinge screws eventually shatter due to an over-tightening issue. Now both sides of my hinge have gone and the screen is just sitting on flimsy plastic bezel as the hinge has completely separated from its mounting points. The remedy is either you pay Lenovo $300 to replace it with another defective screen assembly or rebuild the hinge with sheet metal and power tools.

Shame because it's a cheap and pretty stylish gaming laptop but wow this is quite a defect. Don't buy one used. Not sure if they're still being sold but don't buy one new either.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Should I wait to get a new laptop? When I foolishly tried to fold my current one for transport there were literally crunching noises and it expelled shards of plastic and screws. Don'y get a used Lenovo Y50!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fortunately I have a steady job but you know sometimes a new intel chipset is two months away.

Seems like Ryzen is the way to go now though?