Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Not sure if this question belongs here, but hey it involves laptops! I have a Thinkpad X220 that I'm looking to get rid of and conveniently my mother needs a smaller laptop. She has a 15" Thinkpad (edge I think, not the business lines) that she is using now. Instead of installing all of her software and transferring all of her documents can I just swap the hard drives and do a driver update? It seems so simple but I want to think it'd work. I'd be wiping and selling hers so the data on the x220 is not a concern.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there any news about an update to the Lenovo X1 Yoga line? Seeing reviews that the keyboard is not great on the 3rd gen versus the 2nd (which I currently have for work, and enjoy fine). If it's getting long in the tooth I don't want to jump on one in the next few weeks if they have some good new tech / builds that are compelling.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Milkman posted:

I had the X1Y3 for a bit and can say the keyboard was about as good as any other modern thinkpad I've touched? The retracting mechanism (does the 2nd gen have that too?) takes away a tiny bit of travel but :shrug: I'd still put it above most every other brand.

It was just one review, so I should take that with a grain of salt. The reviewer was talking about how great their gen 2 was and that the gen 3 seemed off and seemed to catch. Their 'objective' measure was a typing test of which they scored a 70 compared to a 110 or something.

I won't put too much stock in it all. Do you have the IR camera? Not sure that has any value, I doubt it's anything like FaceID. I much rather would have the 4G modem as I have a spare T-mobile tablet sim with 6GB of data a month that I want to slap in there (provided it works with PCs).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

the tmobile tablet sim will work, at least from tmo's end

Nice, thanks for the feedback. I knew there was weirdness about the carrier allowing device types on different sim plans.

The Milkman posted:

No, I went with the plain camera with the privacy shutter. It already had a fingerprint reader for quick login.

Ah! Forgot about the fingerprint reader as my company disables mine. Maybe the current model will fit my needs and desires and I can save some dough as it's not new anymore.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Starting to price out a Thinkpad X1 Yoga (today's Pi Day sale may be a low, not sure though) and have some questions on configuration. I'm pretty dumb on current hardware so don't know what tradeoffs I'm making. To get the 4g/LTE option, I can only use the first selection (i5-8250U).

I'm not going to be gaming or anything crazy on here. I will be playing around with some programming and likely larger data sets with PowerBI/etc. though. I'm planning on the 16GB RAM option since it's not upgradable, which should help. Is there a major difference between these that I should consider other options for the 4G/LTE? I can always hotspot my phone, but would like to use the spare sim I have around. If there isn't an big difference, I'll save the money and keep the functionality.

Thoughts?

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor (1.60GHz, up to 3.40GHz with Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8350U Processor with vPro (1.70GHz, up to 3.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor (1.80GHz, up to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor with vPro (1.90GHz, up to 4.20GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)

e: WHOOPS, I misunderstood, it's the Display that's not compatible with WWAN.

14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS anti-reflective, anti-smudge, multi-touch, 270 nits

14.0" WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS anti-reflective, anti-smudge, multi-touch, 270 nits

14" HDR WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS anti-reflective, anti-smudge, multi-touch with Dolby Vision, 500 nits

So let me change the question please, in practice, on a 14" screen if I'm not doing graphic design, will the reduced resolution from 1440 to 1080 be that noticeable? Still appreciate any feedback on the processor though for decision making.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 14, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sorry to reply to myself but have spent the last few hours digging into the configs and it now boils down to a decision between the Dolby Vision display or the LTE card. Can still get 1440p with the LTE but not the DV. Reviews online are that's it the best display on the market. Anyone have any experience with it to say it's that amazing and can't be skipped? The convenience of using my already existing tablet sim with 6gb data without a hotspot is nice but not crucial.

e: made my decision. Majority of time will NOT be on LTE and will be looking at the display, so want to look at the nicer one. Can hotspot just fine when I need to. Same carrier anyway so no advantage in having a dual coverage situation. Have this free tablet sim with 6gb that is going to waste with T-mo so was hoping to make good use of it. Maybe I'll get a mobile hotspot to throw it in which will help when I'm camping. ~$1600 with the 30% coupon at Lenovo and 13% cash back at BeFrugal (well, 13% off first $200, then 10% off the balance)

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 14, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm pretty dumb on new hardware. Is this the same SSD that I can use in my yet-to-be-shipped Lenovo Yoga X1 gen 3? Or is it another configuration?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Atomizer posted:

You'd have to link your specific model to be sure, but I'd be 99% confident that your brand-new laptop can take at least one NVMe SSD.

Thanks, it appears that I do.

Storage
Some: M.2 SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s (e.g. xxxG SSD)
Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s (e.g. xxxG SSD PCIe NVMe)

Does this mean that I can purchase an NVMe SSD and have a second hard drive? Are there any other upgrades that would use that same port that I should consider before going the dual hard drive route? Searching NVMe only brings up SSDs, but as I said I'm pretty dumb and am not sure if I should be searching for another interface to see what's out there.

Source: Link

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 20, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Milkman posted:

I picked up a refurb XPS 13 9370 after a bad experience with the X1 Yoga and highly recommend it. Fedora & Ubuntu/Pop! work great. Even going maxed out it was only $1000 for the refurb.

My gen 3 X1 Yoga is on its way from China right now. Can you please share your bad experience? Strictly with Linux or in general?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, it has bad Modern Sleep/standby issues that are exacerbated by running Linux. It should be (mostly) fine when using up to date Windows 10. I still had it wake and drain the battery once or twice overnight in Windows too, but that might have been something else. The Carbon had the same issues and were patched, but several BIOS updates later and they've still not addressed it in the Yoga. Dollars to donuts it won't ever be.

It's great hardware otherwise, it's a shame it has that glaring flaw.

Thanks for the feedback. I was toying between the Yoga and the Carbon. I have the Gen 1 for work and like it very much, but may have gone with the Carbon if I could've gotten both the 1440p AND the touchscreen. I'm addicted to touching my screen now.

I had considered throwing Linux on a second partition to play around with from time-to-time, good feedback to consider for it. At a minimum it sounds as if I should not use it while mobile.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ok... what gives. Brand new Yoga X1 gen 3, 256GB SSD. Showed all hidden files and they add up to 25GB. Used space showing 143GB.

Did disk cleanup and system files already. WTF?

Where do I begin to find this used space?! It was ~200GB free yesterday when I first loaded it up.

e: Didn't see that Disk Cleanup for system files was still running. What I selected was far lower than the 120GB of unfound usage though, but will monitor to see if it was taking up more space than identified and see if that fixes it.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 29, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks, I'll check that out right now. I think I narrowed it down. My Google Drive DID have everything downloaded already, but the properties is only showing it as 1.32GB used, despite one of its subdirectories clearly showing more than that (6.42GB). Weird glitch, but feeling more comfortable about it all. Not sure why the true filesize isn't showing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wow! This is a great tool! I've been looking for something that would scan folders and provide a dump of the names and structure for my ...uh... linux isos. Stuff I won't backup, but in the event of a catastrophic failure or fire I could know what was missing to get again. Now if I can find a way to automate that it'll be perfect, but either way running this monthly will suffice! Thanks for the recommendation.

It also shows accurately the Google Drive usage and everything looks in order now. Just Windows explorer is not registering its size oddly.

e: Tooltip while hovering over folder shows accurate size, but properties doesn't.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 30, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Deviant posted:

I can't figure out what makes for a good chromebook. I'm not versed in the celeron processor series like I am with Intel iX stuff. Any suggestions in my budget?

Does your CS program offer a recommendation? I'd go with whatever you can get within their input.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

If I'm stalking the Lenovo outlet for deals, is there a significant difference between the X1 Yoga 2G and 3G, other than about $500? I'm replacing an older model Yoga that I use for work so either one will be a big upgrade and I'm inclined to go for the cheaper option but wanted to check before I settled.

I just got a 3G, and have a 1G for work. Depending on your use case, it may not be a material difference. My 1G for work is really really good and solid. It's an i5 and handles pretty much everything I throw at it (good size excel and data models, etc.). My basic point is that my 1G is still a fantastic computer so if you're not looking for the bleeding edge, you will not be disappointed. It's form factor is nearly identical, but the screen is better on the 3G.

Hoping someone else can provide more feedback on the specific hardware, as I'm pretty dumb about all of that stuff other than more is gooder.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrPablo posted:

I owned an X1 Yoga (1st generation) for a couple of years, and I currently have an X1 Carbon (6th generation) without a touch screen. My girlfriend had a Yoga for several years, and now has an X1 Carbon (6th generation) with a touch screen.

Pros:
  • For people that like touch screens, it's nice to be able to tap things on the screen.
  • You can use the touch screen in environments that might not be practical for a keyboard. For example, watching a movie while laying down, or looking at a recipe in the kitchen.
  • Convertibles (e.g. the Yoga) can serve as a tablet in a pinch.
  • Convertibles (e.g. the Yoga) can be used with a stylus for drawing.
Cons:
  • Price: Touch screen models cost more.
  • Fingerprints: The screen will eventually be covered with fingerprint smudges.
  • Glare: Touch screen models typically have a glossy screen.
  • Battery: Battery life is marginally worse.
  • Weight: Touch screen models usually weigh a bit more.

I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

If you are someone that switches between the keyboard and touch screen regularly (like my girlfriend), or you doing something that is easier with the touch screen, then it makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, if you are someone who is bothered by any of the cons above (me, particularly the smudges) or don't really have a use for the touch screen, then it's probably better to pass on it.

In response to your ninja edit: I originally planned on using my X1 Yoga as a replacement for a dead Nexus 7, but the weight made that impractical.

One other thing I found out when I was buying my X1 Yoga was that you cannot get the Carbon in both 1440p AND touchscreen. Only 1080p, for what that's worth to you.

The Yoga does let you get both.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

https://slickdeals.net/f/13018933-intel-660p-m-2-nvme-2tb-ssd-191-24-ac-fs?utm_source=feedly&utm_content=fp&utm_medium=RSS2

I think this is the 2TB SSD that was posted a few weeks ago. It's $191 on Rakuten or $200 on Amazon. Will this work in my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd gen? Is this a quality drive and decent enough price to jump on it?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 16, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

first off that is indeed a slick deal imo

secondly, per the spec sheet off lenovo

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20X1%20Carbon%20(3rd%20Gen)/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_3rd_Gen.pdf

the part i highlighted in blue says "M.2 SSD / PCIe 2.0 x4 or SATA" im pretty sure the bolded = NVME

It's a Yoga X1 gen 3. Let me see if I can find the spec sheet on it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

All signs are indicating that it's compatible. Just lots of terms I'm not familiar with these days.

Will be a bitch to image my existing and clone? I haven't done that ever.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for all the feedback. I currently have an SSD in there, but don't believe it's an NVMe. From the slickdeals article it seems that the performance issues don't crop up until you hit 75-80% capacity. I'm going overkill on this so will not likely use 50% at a given time but will appreciate the flexibility and options it'll afford me in the future.

My use is not transferring hundreds of gigs a day either, where that seemed to be a situation where this wouldn't be ideal.

Sounds like a fresh windows install is in my future.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

More big is better. I'm hard wired from growing up in the 80s and 90s.

Interesting discussion, appreciate all the perspectives. I did get the 2TB and it should be arriving today. Will be playing with it this holiday weekend.

Do I set up bitlocker on the windows install?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wow, it was super easy to swap that SSD in my Yoga and thanks to the Lenovo recovery tool stupid easy to get back to Factory on the new drive.

2019 owns. This would've been a PITA scouring for the right drivers and software to get everything back to normal for the better part of the weekend even a decade ago.

I want to play with Ubuntu now that I have some free space, anything I should be aware of for dual booting on a laptop? I understand some hardware features aren't going to work perfectly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a magic combination of settings to allow Windows 10 to dual boot with Bitlocker on? I just installed Ubuntu and every time I reboot it goes into the Ubuntu bootloader, then if I go to the Windows one it asks for my Bitlocker recovery key. What other options do I have here without having to put in my key every time?

I turned Secure Boot back on after the install.

EDIT: Fixed it. Put Windows Bootloader above GRUB in the BIOS and all is well!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 20, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Good morning all. I have had my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd gen for some time now and was looking at some TB3 docks that would do some basic KVM stuff while charging over one cable. I found the one below as seemingly the best solution for my laptop:

Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 135W (40AN0135US) Dual UHD 4K Display Capability, 2 HDMI, 2 DP, USB-C, USB 3.1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M6S81CM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_BAmhDbYKWZMTT

Then I stumbled across what looks like a damned near similar solution (albeit fewer ports, but nothing I need) for only $60 more and includes an eGPU.

Lenovo G0A10170UL Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JFW3YT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QBmhDbVCDQW1A

I don’t game much, but occasionally like to so it seems like this graphics dock would at least get me modest performance. I also like to use Rocksmith and don’t think I can run it on the stock Yoga. Am I overlooking a compelling reason to stick with the basic dock or is the graphics dock just that good of value. I don’t know my graphics cards well but the reviews seem to be pretty positive.

For other alternatives, I know an eGPU enclosure is often recommended and then a BYO video card is bought. I have a feeling that’d end up costing double than just the graphics dock and since I am not a big gamer may not be worth it. Also not sure if the dock and the eGPU are mutually exclusive decisions. If I bought the simple dock and down the road wanted an eGPU would I then have a useless dock (as it has USB, audio, KVM, etc also)?

Looking for a gut check here as I’m pretty new to all the TB and eGPU stuff. I have a decent gaming PC that would love to use as a Steam server if I can get it to work reliably. So that’s always another option.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's actually not overpriced for what it is. The obvious downside is that you can't replace the 1050 and once it's obsolete (which is probably not too far off) you just have a really large and power hungry KVM switch, but to solve that problem you'd need to spend twice as much on an enclosure and card. So, you can spend more now and futureproof a bit, or you can accept that this thing is gonna last 3 years or so and who knows, USB 4 is right around the corner anyway.

I'd go for it. Just don't expect to game with it past low settings at 1080 or 720.

edit: and no, your dock wouldn't be useless if you decide to add a GPU later.

Thanks for the info, that really helps. For context, the card on my 'gaming PC' (which goes underutilized as a plex/sab machine) is a GTX 760 so I think that's quite an old card as well.

Found this for $30 cheaper on Newegg even, so even more of a nobrainer!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can anyone recommend a USB-C TB3 cable that I can get to extend the range (6' should be plenty, 3' not so much) of my new Lenovo Graphics Dock? I'm so confused as to what cables are certified and can actually do TB3 speeds despite saying that they are TB3 cables. Or let me know what keywords to look for so I can find myself?

Bonus points for not being highway robbery on the cost! Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Atomizer posted:

I haven't looked for them in a while, but something like this was along the lines of the best option at the time (I've had it in my "saved for later" section, haven't needed to make a purchase.) There are/were some others that were very similar that were probably more or less the same thing (for around the same price.) That's the best option you're going to get, by the way: 2 M, 100 W PD, active TB3 cable (active being the important qualifier here.)

Ugh, for some reason this one isn't compatible with Lenovo X1 Yoga or Carbons.

e: Is 40gbps a must, or will 20gbps be sufficient for most applications (i.e. eGPU)?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 15, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DrDork posted:

The reviews I've seen have suggested that 20Gbps will lose you some eGPU performance, but not a crushing amount in most cases (usually somewhere around 5-10%). Everything else should be basically indistinguishable--even "just" 20Gbps is ~2500MB/s, which would take a SSD to saturate. Nothing else you're gonna hang off a dock is going to get anywhere close to needing that.

Thanks, looking at all the cables on Amazon, there seems to be an inherent incompatibility with the Lenovo products. Unsure of what is different about theirs that is causing it. I may be doomed for the 6" cable unless I can find out what these folks are doing to get around it. I can't figure out if it's an issue with 40gbps and Lenovo or not, someone commented that the compatibility at that speed starts falling apart for Lenovo. Doesn't make any sense to me, but neither does the concept of an active versus passive cable. I'm stuck in the old days where cables just pushed information around!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Atomizer posted:

I don't see how a standardized cable can be incompatible with a brand of PC. The Lenovos either use TB3 or they don't!

I don't disagree at all, but low and behold it's being called out and even reviews are stating that they have issues. I'll cherry-pick some examples:

Link 1 - Under product description: Lenovo X1 Carbon & Lenovo Yoga power design is different so it not compatible with this cable.

Link 2 - Important Notes NOT compatible with Lenovo X1 Carbon or X1 Yoga laptops.
Under reviews:
doesn't work with powered docking station.
By Jared R. on June 16, 2017
Does not work with my Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 dock. Keeps disconnecting over and over with my Lenovo X1 Yoga.

Link 3 - Lenovo X1 Carbon & Lenovo Yoga power design is different so it not compatible with this cable.
Under reviews:
Doesn't work with Lenovo
By Tim L on June 26, 2019
Just hooked up to my Thinkpad T480s and Lenovo dock. Worked perfectly with the Lenovo supplied cable but was a just slightly to short. With the new cable, the computer shows it is plugged in but that it is not charging. I am also getting white flickering pixels/snow on my external monitor. Wouldn't recommend. Basically a useless cable. If I could give it zero stars, I would.
defective?
By Andy G. on May 17, 2019
I've used this cable between lenovo x1 and lenovo dock and saw artifacts on 2nd display. After replacing this cable with Apple's cable the problems have disappeared

Maybe I need to find this Apple cable. Probably cost $200 for a 6' :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

Would a cable incompatibility possibly mean it couldn't do power delivery for the specific unit in question perhaps ?

From what I'm reading it's not a charging issue but a flat-out will not work issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lockback posted:

$650 gigabyte with a 3060 and 16GB of RAM.
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/772612

I'm pretty dumb on gaming laptops. How can I expect the battery to perform when NOT gaming. Can my son get through a school day (not 8 hours straight obviously) or will it still suck and require a charge at half point or so?

I'd like to think they put a bigger battery in so the gaming performance isn't an hour, and that should help with more life on light tasks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lockback posted:

I'd assume 2-3 hours. It isn't just battery size, but how the switching graphics works, of it can be kept cool without high fans, etc. The cheaper laptops like that gigabyte are not going to be one the higher end.

The G14 can do 6+ hours with tuning. The g15s can do 4+, legions a bit less. MSI/GIGABYTE/Etc will be under that, but s but if a crapshoot.

Hrmm, not great. Wonder if there's a low power mode to squeeze a bit more out. Appreciate the input! He may be making some trade offs. Perhaps he only has it on 2-3 hours of actual use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lockback posted:

The MacBook air can be found for $800 and will last 12+ hours.

Yeah, that's our initial thought and planning for that. He loves to game and has a lovely computer and an Xbox. Was hoping to do double duty and solve those two things but not looking great. His brothers are getting that gigabyte, but not for school.

Waiting for the jealousy. Probably should stick to the original plan.