Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know offhand what shipping carrier Dell Canada uses for laptops? The last thing I got from them (a TV) shipped Purolator Freight, and that is a mess I would rather not go through again. A big enough mess that I would rather buy from another company. That was an oversized item though, so maybe laptops are different.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Your TV likely came LTL (less than truckload) which is a different class of freight than parcel.

It did, but Purolator Freight also takes parcel sized packages too apparently, so Dell might still use them for a laptop so I don't know.

The main issue was my billing address is a PO Box. This is a huge problem for Freight, but not a big deal for Purolator vanilla.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I don't live in Canada, I can't speak to who does what with which packages, except that LTL is generally handled differently in my country. UPS Freight (white) is only at a very general level loosely associated with UPS Parcel (brown), so your Canadian freight carrier may or may not be completely different.

Yeah, that was the case. In my town, all Purolator courier packages go to a local Purolator shipping agent and we just pick up from them. Purolator Freight however has to deliver to you, personally, at the address you gave Dell and they need to see an ID with your name and that address on it.

The problem was Dell didn't tell me they were using Purolator Freight and not courier when I asked, so I put the shipping agent's address. Naturally I don't have an ID with the shipping agent's address on it. I worked it out eventually, but it took too much time and too many phonecalls.

If a laptop just ships regular courier then there should be no problem though. I need a new laptop for work, and the XPS12 looks like exactly what I need.

In the past I've just ordered through our supplier, but they don't have Dell stuff. If I'm getting something new, I'm getting something actually new.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 13, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is taking the i5->i7 4gb->8gb upgrade on the XPS12 worth it for the $200?

(If no, what about the $100 it costs right now?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Optiquest posted:

Does Lenovo always take 2 weeks to ship out a laptop?

2 weeks is the standard initial estimate for laptops, but it may ship sooner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Like what? Like how $640 is a good price point for a quality machine? I don't know what point you are making. (Most) of the advice given in this thread is with the intent of making sure a person doesn't buy something so awful that they will come back in a month and complain that the hard drive in their lovely $200 laptop went dead.

You're not doing anyone any good by parroting the "all advice given by this thread is superfluous, biased and terrible" sentiment.

Pretty sure he was mocking sports' troll post directly, not the thread in general.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

No

Maaaaayyyyybe. What do you plan on doing with it/how much of a power user are you?

quote:

The XPS 12 i7/8gb upgrade was kind of a weird bargain at dell.ca when I bought mine last month since with all the deals flying around it was maybe a hundred bucks over the basic model.

Yeah, that's exactly what it was. It's normally $200 more, but they had $100 off.

I ended up ordering that one. It came up just under $1500 which was the budget I had anyway.

The SSD I can upgrade myself later on for about $100 less than the upgrade cost if I need to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Are there any relatively small laptops (15" would be absolute max, and even then, I'd rather not...) that have decent screen resolution?

I currently use an MBP (pre-Retina) for work, and I've been debating going back to windows, but my must-haves are small size (I travel for work, so I'm literally carrying this every day), decent screen resolution (I'd like 1920x1080 at a minimum, Retina-ish would be nice too), a full-size keyboard (I have big hands), and decent performance.

On that last, I'm comfortable with upgrades, so if I need to throw memory and an SSD in it, that's no problem.

I'm looking at upgrading in the next ... maybe 6 months or so? I'm kind of trying to put it off as long as possible ... I've had this MBP since 2011, and it's still largely adequate, I just find myself wishing for more screen size.

Budget isn't much of an issue ... I'd spend 2k for the right laptop.

Well the Samsung Ativ Book 9 is 3200x1800 on a 13 inch screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazon only has the base model of the Haswell Ativ 9. Samsung said it will have upgrade options.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've always wondered about that... Why specifically $640, and not an even $650? Was there a specific laptop at $640 or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Thanks for that, it definitely makes the decision to pay for their RAM upgrade easier. Impressively they only charge 100 additional bucks to go from 128->256gb on the ssd though so that also solves that.

Whee are you seeing that? The site says $300.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

drat. If they had that offer a few weeks ago I would have taken it. A 240/256 mSATA SSD costs about $200.

Edit: Though I did get $100 off the i7/8gb upgrade, so it actually works out the same.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 27, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Is there any significant downside to getting the i7 other than price? I'm getting conflicting reports here. If she got the i7, money aside, is there going to be a situation she finds herself going "ugh shoulda got the i5"

The important question is are you trying to fit a budget?

If you are, if you can you get a larger SSD or more RAM or something for that $150 I'd do that first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Laptop speakers all tend to suck

But some of them have Beats!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got the XPS12 with a 128gb SSD, because the price to upgrade was ridiculous.

It's split into about 5 partitions. If I buy my own larger SSD, how will cloning this over go? Should the partitions be scaled up or are their sizes absolute?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Recovery partitions and such can be left just fine. You'll just want to re-size the C: drive. You may have to do it twice, once really small to get it fit on the SSD and then after the clone, re-size it to the max size of free space.

Why the (potential) need for the first re-size?

Also since there's only the one slot so I'm going to have to save it as an image onto an external drive and then clone it onto the new drive, if that impacts anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrDork posted:

Terrible. A last-gen CPU, 1336x768 screen, no dGPU, and it's a refurb so you get a crap warranty. Yet it's still almost $600. For about $70 more, you can use the B&N link in the OP to get a baseline T430 w/1600x900 screen that will perform about the same, yet be of much better build quality and carry a full warranty.

Also, it's substantially cheaper at NewEgg: $504 which is a much more reasonable price for it. I'd still suggest spending the extra cash on a T430, but $500 is a fair(ish) price for that ASUS.

If he's linking Tigerdirect.ca, he can't use the B&N link and you need to adjust all of your reasonable price ranges a good 25% up.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Hmm, are there alternative Haswell ultrabooks I should consider that have a >768 screen? I think the XPS 12 would be a bit too small at 12.5 inches but I'm open to other suggestions

I don't find the XPS12's screen small at all, and that's with my work computer having 3 ridiculous 29 inch screens (I have no idea, I didn't buy them.)

The issue I have with non-convertible touchscreen laptops is there just isn't a reason to reach over that screen and touch anything.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 1, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I still laugh when I see that it has a VGA port. I know that this is desirable in a business environment where most projectors still use VGA connections, but it still feels bizarre.

We're the opposite: all of our projectors have HDMI, and all of the laptops to connect only have VGA. So each one has its own converter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

signalnoise posted:

So with more information available, how does the X240 compare to the XPS12? This question is possibly to torment myself for my purchase, I already bought the XPS12, the new X-series Thinkpad is the other one I would've been waiting for.

Base price of $1100 for the 240 with a non-touch screen and sub-1080p resolution. Sounds like it would be pricy to match even the entry level XPS12's specs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Lenovo's "base price" is always fiction. I don't know if it's even possible to pay that amount, it seemingly exists only to tell you you're getting a discount.

So like the MSRP of DVDs on Amazon, I guess.

I can get Super Buddies for 67% off? I'd be a fool not to buy it!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Silver is the new black :barf:

At least give us the option to make the keyboard match the rest of the computer?
Looks like the marketing guy was assigned a piece of specifically designed fabric to help camouflage how ugly the new silver is (see zoomed thumbnail of second photo)

Also, the black touchscreen bezel looks hillariously bad on a silver case

It looks like it used to be black, but was left out in the sun too long.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Everyone hated the black color scheme of the old ThinkPads. Now everyone is bitching about the gray ones!

Just because they changed it doesn't mean it's better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So Sony has what now? 4 kinds of convertibles?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Asus just announced a buttload of new products, including 2 nice looking Zenbooks.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048142/asus-demos-two-new-zenbooks-three-transformers-and-an-ultraportable-laptop-at-ifa.html

What's the general consensus on Asus build quality?

The Trio is a really cool way of doing the dual OS thing. It's probably not very practical though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sports posted:

The battery life on the 2012 Air still blows most 2013 and 2014 laptops out of the water.

Non-Apple companies seem to be taking the easier path of just letting Intel do the standardization and slapping on faux-retina screens, much unlike the careful care and thought that goes into Macs- which are nearly a year ahead in standardization.

Apple buys their screens from Samsung, so the Ativ Book 9 must be "true retina".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, you either get the 3200x1800 or the recessing keyboard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Lolwut

Someone in the marketing department at Lenovo needs to be shot. Is this really the case? Two different brands in the same company carry two different versions of the same model?

Yep!

The Thinkpad Yoga with the recessing keyboard is 1080p, can have up to a 1TB HDD, has NFC, 2 USB 3.0 slots and mini-HDMI.
The Yoga 2 is 3200x1800, up to 512gb SSD, 1 USB 3 and 1 USB 2 (...why?), micro HDMI, and ~4 hours more claimed battery life.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Naffer posted:

It'd be nice if they offered the Thinkpad Yoga in a 13.3" model. They could call it the Thinkpad Yoga Pro (not to be confused with the Ideapad Yoga 2 Pro or the Ideapad Yoga or the Thinkpad Yoga).

I can't wait for their 10 inch tablet collaboration with Amazon, the Yoga Fire.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frankly Lenovo might have a Yoga Catastrophe on their hands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Windows 8 is a fun gauge to see how inefficiently people used Windows.

Opening the Control Panel with a mouse, crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You press the Start button and type what you want.

Depending on what you have installed, it's as few as 5 keystrokes to open the Control Panel. Start, "con", Enter.

(Same as Windows 7.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NtotheTC posted:

My current laptop is dying and I'm struggling to identify what to replace it with. I'm definitely leaning towards "small and cheap" at this point. All I really need to do is browse internet, watch dvds, maybe netflix etc. Ideally I'd like to throw linux on it and use that day to day. I'm on the fence between netbook and laptop but it seems like a netbook might struggle with HD video, and a laptop might be too unwieldy.

Is there a sweetspot between the two that can be filled for sub £350?

Edit: Still casting around. Finding one with an optical drive these days is getting increasingly difficult which is a real shame, so I may have to forgo that part.

You can buy external disc drives, for the record. They're like the price of a DVD. So don't worry about having to find that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Might be cramming an acceptable amount of battery life, then.

Oh it has no battery. That wouldn't leave room for the GPUs.

That thing runs on diesel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a bit of a weird issue with the XPS12 (2013 Haswell model.)

When it goes into sleep mode, it takes 2 power switches to bring it back. The first one will light up the key backlights and the screen backlight but the OS doesn't wake up. Switching it back into sleep mode with the power switch and waking it up again behaves as normal though.

Anyone have an idea what option could be causing that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$1299 got me a 128GB SSD, 8gb ram and an i7 in an XPS12.

I would trade the i7 upgrade for the storage though. I only got it because it was half off and tied into the ram upgrade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheDemon posted:

What's currently out there in terms of convertible ultrabooks (or similar), other than waiting for the new lenovo yoga?

With Haswell I think it's just the Sony Vaio Duo 13 (11 is still last gen), and Dell XPS12 right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seamonster posted:

XPS 12 owners tell us about that carbon fiber base. I imagine the larger models will have identical feel and build?

I don't have much to compare it to, but mine feels sturdy and I have no complaints about. Even with the flippy screen, it doesn't feel flimsy.

I guess XPS is Dell's "Give a poo poo" line?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seamonster posted:

A MPBr challenger appears. Strange you can only get the big battery with the SSD though.

Yeah, Dell seems to like to bundle feature upgrades you want with ones you probably don't need.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrDork posted:

Err...not really. Win7 is seen as an advantage for a lot of people, and the battery life is roughly the same.

He's talking about the battery life. 8 is better than 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony also has a sliding Vaio Pro. Duo 13, or something. They will not settle until they have every kind of convertible.